Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

I am down on the 26th. I have to be to the airport by 4:30 though so the earlier the better

1 Like

Any of the Iron Range folks here interested in playing some golf 9/12 or 9/13? Looks like with current tee time availability I’ll be doing Wilderness Morning, Giants Ridge afternoon, and then the other Giants Ridge course 9/13.

Spent the weekend back in town for a wedding. Was able to dodge the rain and get out to Pioneer Creek Saturday morning with the family. I had somehow never played there before, which is shocking considering I grew up 20 minutes away. What a delightful course. Despite the rain that morning the course was still playing nice and firm. Doesn’t hurt that I also had my low round of the year haha

5 Likes

Naters suggested I post this here:

I created a thread in Events (Return to the Birthplace of Strapped ) throwing out the idea of an event next year incorporating some of the original Strapped courses and the Iowa State Fair. I have no idea if enough people would be interested to even do anything, but I welcome any and all feedback you have, especially if you think there would be sufficient interest.

1 Like

I encourage this. Spent a good chunk of my life in Iowa and I loved playing Coldwater (although hear it has changed a bit) and Veenker and Waveland are the perfect lovable quirky courses! The only thing is that the drive from DSM to Ames is like 40ish+ minutes. DSM a better City (food, hotels, entertainment) but 2/3 Courses are in Ames. You might want to try a 36 hole day in Ames with Coldwater and Veenker to limit that drive time.

1 Like

Obviously, it’s “a developing situation,” but my initial thought was to include Veenker, but not formally include Coldwater. I think Veenker & Waveland should be the foundation & maybe throw in Grandview as the East Des Moines muni of record.

1 Like

Looking for a game on Friday. Anyone has an open spot or wants to get something going, holler!

Anyone got a reco for a golf course near Annandale? Looking to peel off for a few hours this weekend during a family vacation. A vacation from the vacation, if you will.

1 Like

Wild Marsh in Buffalo is the best course in the vicinity that I’ve played. A little less of a drive is Albion Ridges, which has three nines, is fine. Definitely recommend getting out early though unless you like playing behind fivesomes (at Albion, that is).

5 Likes

Had a great time out at Stoneridge yesterday. The course was in mint shape. It has been a long time since I was out there last and it definitely was as good as advertised from the crew.

3 Likes

they’re playing a Mid-Am qualifier there today, so I imagine it’s as good as they can get it.

2 Likes

Random ? - have a fantasy draft coming up and some of the guys want to golf beforehand. Many non-golfers in the group so 9 holes is more appealing. 2 years ago we had trouble booking a 9 hole weekend morning round (cant remember which courses exactly). Anywhere within 5-10 miles of St Louis park that is either 9 holes or will let us just play 9 on a Saturday morning?

Would imagine brook view could get you on one of the sides for just 9…but I also haven’t played there in a couple years:

I’d try Glen Lake Golf and Practice Center - off 62 in Minnetonka. Very laid back and green fees are ~$17. It’s a 9-holer that would be great for non-golfers.

3 Likes

Would second the Brookview recommendation. I’ve gotten off 10 for a quick 9 a couple times early in the morning.

2 Likes

Anyone got an open spot in a Saturday tee time? Looking to try and get out.

I realize it’s way early for this but alas this is how my brain works, and just throwing the idea out to see if people would be interested.

This winter, I was thinking about organizing a bi-weekly or Monthly simulator meet up in the contingent. I will likely book these for late night sessions on Saturdays as this is what works best for my schedule. (Likely at Element Indoor or Optimal Performance)

It won’t be anything too crazy, just a sign up sheet the week leading up as we can try to reserve the correct number of spots and break the winter cycle.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the season thus far.

8 Likes

@Battisstatus Don’t you dare end this season already. We have sub 40° rounds to get in first.

7 Likes

You’re damn right we do.

Potentially the 2nd annual frozen fourball as well!

7 Likes

I’d take a repeat of the 65 degree first annual frozen four ball we had

4 Likes