Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

umm…fuck right off thank you very much

4 Likes

4 Likes

5 Likes

I would agree with all of this. We went in January that cut down on the cost considerably and were blessed with great weather. We played 121 holes (6 full rounds and the Preserve) and it rained on us for exactly 4 of those holes. Now that being said, our round on Bandon Dunes didn’t have rain but it did have 30 mph winds! The highs were usually around 55-60 and for us at the end of January being from Minnesota 55 degrees felt AMAZING! It was interesting talking to people when we were there because almost everyone was from a northern climate.

I’ve been to SV 3 times now and I think moving forward it feels like 2-3 trips to SV for every 1 trip to Bandon. The courses are just a very small step behind at SV, but the weather can be a little more reasonable/predictable and the cost/ease of getting there for us in the cities is a lot better. Just doesn’t quite have the “experience” that was captured in last nights Tourist Sauce episode.

3 Likes

So the only tough part we had with that was getting enough tee times on a weekly basis especially with the Covid golf boom. We had 16-24 guys going out on Saturdays and with courses only allowing 7 day advance tee times it was hard to get 4-6 tee times all back to back.

Any idea to throw out there, what if we had one day during the week and day during the weekend? Google form for each day gets sent out a month or so in advance, first 16-20 guys that sign up are in for that day.

1 Like

Same here, maybe shifting to 3-4 SV for every Bandon once SV has 4 full courses.

Were you able to play 36 in January? Next time I go it’ll be in the off season to save money. The summer is the most expensive and also the windiest, plus also peak MN golf season, no reason to go then in my book.

1 Like

I figured securing prime-time weekend tee times would be the hardest part.

We were able to play 36, but it required being one of the first two tee times off in the morning each day, having about an hour and 15 minutes between rounds and then we would have about 30 minutes or so of daylight to spare after the second round. This was late January. That was my only issue with going in January is that you better schedule it well in advance to get one of those first couple tee times in the morning and you are going to be rushed a bit during lunch between rounds. Other than that I give a strong recommendation for going in late January.

3 Likes

A week day league would but much easier to work with. I’ll try to come up with a few things and see what could work. We could maybe have the likes of @BaxterMSP and @Taylorda draft some teams like they did for the Northstar Shootout to have some type of season long team event included in it.

1 Like

Just to make sure I’m up to speed here. That would be Sedge Valley and the Lido Doakito, yeah?

Not counting the Lido since I am not sure on accessibility. AFAIK the plan is 4 full courses (so an additional one after the Doakito’s) and 2 short courses.

2 Likes

Got it. Will be interesting to see who gets #4. Will Hanse finally get his turn?

I’d think either him or DeVries. Or maybe they pick a young up-and-comer.

Would be nice to see DeVries crack the current slate of guys, have to think with how hot King Collins is that they will get one soon too.

It’ll be a while on the 4th course. Hell, it seems like it’s going to be a bit before they get back to working on Sedge. If I had to guess, at best, next year will be Lido, 2022/2023 would be Sedge with a 2024 full opening, and then I’d have to assume 2024/2025 for any 4th course and/or additional short course.

Just a side note on Sedge. From talking with a starter last week, it sounds like they only cleared a couple of holes prior to work stoppage. I know there was hope in one of the threads (WI or SV) that maybe they were able to do most/all of the clearing of trees and they would just need to shape/seed, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

From the various rumors out there, this timeline seems right. There was also talk at one point from one of the founding guis I know of them doing a short course at the same time as Sedge (now that it was delayed) or the 4th course, but obviously there was little substance to back up that rumor.

Covid put a pause on Sedge, which I still don’t understand unless the cash flow got all tied up in the lodging buildouts, but I’d imagine if Doakito is right there working on Lido it’d make sense to work on Sedge at the same time to cut project costs.

It was put on hold pretty early on in all of this shit, so my assumption has always been that it was a, “let’s hit pause and make sure our entire operation isn’t under water for the year”, situation. At that point, I think the opportunity/money for the Lido came up and they just ran with it.

I hope you’re right that they piggyback the two courses. That’d possibly move up Sedge a year or so.

I’d be surprised if it sped up anything else though. Maybe another short course, but I’m not really sure where they’d be putting that. (Across the road by Lido? Beyond the tennis courts and driving range?) It seems to make more sense to put any other short course near wherever they put the 4th true SV course (non-Lido).

1 Like

So i am not sure how everyone is going to feel about this, so people will have to let me know

I think with the amount of people in this group (as it continues to grow) and the increased interest in meetup that we had at the end of the year (The NSS seemed to breakdown barriers) It would be nice to have a google sheet, with refuge name (avoid any doxxing) home course (or course you play the most at) and where people are interested in playing around the TC. It would be really simple, East, West, North and South of the Metro. Lastly C Suite or Strapped for course consideration, and that is about it

The idea would allow meetups to happen more frequently between refugees in the same area of the TC, and it would allow people to reach out to refugees through the DM’s on here to look at scheduling times.

Obviously “i have a tee time at Keller on Sat at noon” will always work and will still happen. The sheet will just enable refugees to set things up with course proximity in mind.

TLDR: Do we want a google sheet to enable more meets up by region of the TC

Would you like a google sheet to find refguees around your area of the TC
  • YES
  • NO
  • Twin cities isn’t that big so i will play anywhere but sure create a sheet.

0 voters

2 Likes