Roll Call - MN contingent? (Part 1)

Under-35 season pass at StoneRidge is $2,300 and I won’t rest until I talk one or two more sickos into going in with me.

4 Likes

I’m joining next year. It’s a graduated rate from 35 to 40 too so only going to cost me like $2,450. Might even pull the trigger this fall. $49 walking guest rate is nice perk.

4 Likes

I have played emerald a few times. I think it is fine for what you pay. A large part of golf is about your budget and finding something that is close and that your like in that budget…no secret here.

I would recommend trying to play stoneridge during the weekday if you can, its the cheapest option and TB during twlight hours (you have a chance to get 27 or 36 in depending on what time of the year you play it in). If your buddies don’t want to shell out for the round there are about 50 refugees on here that would probably be interested…

1 Like

Do you ever get out to New Richmond? A little bit of a haul from St. Paul but great value and the greens are great.

2 Likes

If only i could convince my two other golf buddies to pull the trigger on this. I would do it,

@charvey Is the guest fee $50 if you are under 35 also?

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting it to be all that close. Windsong is my favorite course I have played in the state. With them both being Lehman’s, and showing up in top 100 public course lists I was hoping for a little more. Like I said it is probably just a result of my overly high hopes.

2 Likes

As far as I know it is. Per email from head pro it’s $49 walk/$67 ride and I was a member back in 2014 and it was the same. Wouldn’t shock me if they upped it a few $ next year since they jacked up rack rate to $109 walking this year.

1 Like

Still curious other then stoneridge any other public tracks you would take over TB for quality around the metro?

Good point

They’re a lot better courses. And I love Keller and think Loggers is pretty good.

2 Likes

I think the Royal is way overrated

2 Likes

Funny you say that as the superintendent at Stoneridge grew in Windsong and worked there until he took his current position. Guy knows his inputs and grass as well as anyone. Best conditioned public(ish) course in the metro area IMO.

We are national members at Windsong and the similarities are striking.

2 Likes

Here comes @tj_denawli to defend Royal

Whelp i was wrong again

1 Like

Stoneridge is also running their fall golf promo, which allows people signing up now for 2021 to play for free this fall as well as lock in the 2021 at the current amount.

1 Like

all this talk about stone. had my greatest up and down few weekends ago. from the deep bunker on 4. to about 35ft. damn 11-12 stimps… although it was for par, was a fun save.
The Up

The Down.

7 Likes

Ha! I’ve actually been pretty honest in this thread about how I’ve grown to like Royal less and less the more I’ve played it.

I do like the range and the practice area, and the twighlight walking rate isn’t terrible, but I’m not running out there to play on a weekend morning paying full freight. In years past it was also the most convenient for me in terms of getting out on after work, which was part of the appeal.

3 Likes

Not the first time i have been wrong…and glad to hear it. I understand the convenience of it…i don’t understand the price tag though.

1 Like

That doesn’t surprise me and differences in maintenance/green speed is quite interesting for two very comparable courses. Stoneridge aerates in the fall and dumps tons of sand to firm up the greens and Troy Burne doesn’t even aerate. I’m not an expert in turf management but pretty sure there is nothing good about not aerating for the long-term. We have practically had a draught this fall and you can still see your footprints all over the greens at Troy Burne because they are way too soft.

Good question. I think that is a hard call after that first play where I was expecting so much. It is still up there and I am sure it would grow on me after a couple more rounds. And I still haven’t gotten out to a lot of the public courses highly regarded around here. I will say I didn’t think it was drastically better than legends and that is 15 minutes from home.

TB is a “play every year” kind of place in my mind and very high on my list of Twin Cities public courses, but I’d be surprised if anybody is touting the course as an all timer.

1 Like