1 Like

Found this autumn Northland pic on twitter:

13 Likes

This would make a SICK puzzle.

4 Likes

Awesome pic.

It looks almost flat from that angle!

1 Like

using the early polls as an indicator here is my plan.

Fourball format

(After I secure baby sitters for my kiddos)

I will call a couple of courses to see if they will allow us to book 4ish weeks in advance.

I will book 3 times all back to back and can add more if need be.

Course ideas(assuming they are still open): Keller, Victory Links, The Wilds (not because I love the course but if they have pay them temp, that’d be sick) Brookview?

Open to other ideas

3 Likes

I missed the other events this year so I’m definitely in on trying to squeeze in another one. Never played the Wilds, but good call on the pay the temp deal, could be a steal.

My only other thought is somewhere with few trees might be nice to avoid dealing with leaves, although based on my yard right now they might all be down before November. Braemar and Stoneridge come to mind, I’m sure there are others I’m not thinking of.

1 Like

I figured why not try one last meet up?!

Braemar would be fun, maybe it would be easier to get on if it’s cold?

I have played Victory Links in November and I don’t remember the leaves being too bad.

If we get pay the temp at the wilds, remember NEVER WALK THE WILDS

3 Likes

36 hole daytrip to Giants Ridge yesterday. I honestly don’t think I could have picked a better day to go and forget about the rest of the world for awhile.
Took a few pics from the Legend, which definitely had some fall vibes. If I would have gone about 3-4 days earlier the colors would have been even more vibrant. Image dump coming even though my photography skills are terrible.

1 and 10

8, hit a shank 50 yards into the woods here

And of course, the obligatory photos of 17. Hit an absolute missile of a 4 iron from 220 to 5 feet and make bird. One of the few good shots yesterday

7 Likes

Alright, The Quarry is my favorite course in the state by far. Nothing even comes close for me. Played from the tips because I enjoy pain. However, it was totally worth it because they had some of the coolest teeing areas I have ever played from.

Hole 2, probably my favorite par 5 anywhere. wIsh I would’ve gotten a better pic from behind the green because it’s perfection.

Hole 4 from the tips is a 270 yard par 3 into the wind. Hit 3 wood and was 20 yards short. SICK

Hole 7 from the green to tee, one of the coolest par 3’s I’ve ever played.

12 is a nice and short 500 yard par 4, sweet teebox though set back in the trees.

Of course, 13 is unreal. Again, terrible pic but I’m sharing anyway.

Here’s 15, which is super underrated, that 2nd shot is sweet.

And finally, 18 at sundown, I’m going to die on this hill and say that 18 is a great finishing hole. I love it.

7 Likes

The Quarry is a fantastic course, I agree about 18, sure 17 and 18 have a different “feel” than most of the course, but that’s a fantastic view to finish with.

Playing from the tips is a bit wild though :grimacing:

1 Like

17 could use something to spice it up, I don’t even know what they could do though. Maybe put it more on the hill to the left?

7300 yards from the tips. It was incredibly fun to look back where you were teeing off though, because some of them were so far back that it seemed impossible. Think I shot 82? There were about 6 holes that were insanely long (3 was 470, 4 was 270, 8 was 480, 12 was 500, 15 was 460, 17 was 230, and 18 was 480?) but the rest of the holes were all very doable distance wise.

I’ll acknowledge my low-cap/distance privilege, but the rest of the 3’s were 175 or less, the 5’s were all in the 525-575 range and all the other par 4’s (1, 6, 9, 10, 13) were playing less than 380, so there were still some holes that were gettable.

2 Likes

Finally got out to Troy Burne yesterday. It was my first time playing the course and I must say it did not live up to the expectations. I think I just built it up to much in my mind. After recently playing Windsong and absolutely loving that course I was hoping to get a whiff of that at Troy Burne. There were certain elements and holes that felt somewhat similar but course as a whole is not close. Also any course that has what I feel is an over abundance of houses on it is a huge turn off for me. Played Stoneridge Wednesday and like that course a whole lot more.

5 Likes

This is the correct answer

2 Likes

I am guessing you are correct and you built TB up to much in your mind. It is a great course but if you are going to compare it to Windsong and some of the other upper tier private courses in the metro then i can see why it didn’t meet your expectation.

I like stoneridge a lot and can see why you would like it quite a bit more, it is also more expensive with no twlight rate possible (which is ridiculous imo)

I am more curious to what public courses around the metro that you would prefer to play other then TB, because you compared it to what i think most would say is the top public track in the metro.

3 Likes

I can’t tell you what to think or like, but to try and hold Troy Burne up against Windsong and expect the same…well, you’re right. It’s nowhere NEAR Windsong, but IMO, Windsong is a top 5 course in the state, so I wouldn’t expect TB to compete. I WOULD put TB up against Stoneridge. Both are very good. Very different courses, tho.

6 Likes

As someone who has never played TB or Stoneridge because of the price, how do those places compare to say Loggers, Royal Golf Club or even Keller?

Never played Windsong but toured it once and that place looked mint so I can’t imagine either course compares. Been a member at both Stoneridge and Troy and for layout would rank Troy Burne back 9 the best of 9s, then Stoneridge in the middle and Troy front 9 as the worst of the 9s. Troy Burne is pretty beat to shit this year from stacked tee sheet every day and from what I hear the ownership/maintenance doesn’t care too much about making improvements. Stoneridge seems to have a much better superintendent (or at least budget and direction from ownership) and tries to cater more towards die-hard golfers where Troy Burne caters more to corporate golfers playing during the week.

2 Likes

I would drive further and pay extra for Stoneridge, and TB before i play Royal 10 out of 10 times. (i also just don’t like Royal)

Keller and Loggers are great for their price point but I would pay extra to play 15-20 for TB if i have the time to drive out there 10 out of 10 times. Stone ridge is another $15 so i would say it is worth it, but i don’t have the budget to play Stoneridge over Keller every weekend. TB for me hit the higher end of the price point but I can still make it work especially if i play twlight. Not knowing your budget, i would say they are worth giving them at shot atleast once and then you can decide. The course conditioning and layout warrant the price tag for atleast one round a play for you to decide.

Also remember its not Windsong or Somerset…its a public track

3 Likes

You seem to be on the CC path…which would make sense of why TB didn’t hit a homerun for you.

Edit had wrong user my bad.

no beef with public tracks at all. Next summer I will have to try playing each of those once. Its just hard because I would put Keller/Royal on the upper end of my price point because of money and my golf friends aren’t die hards so its mainly about saving money.

Our main go to is the Silver Course at Emerald Greens (Hastings, MN) because on weekends before 8 AM its under 30 bucks. Obviously a way inferior course but there are some interesting holes, its plenty long and the general conditioning is worse but honestly, the greens out there are some of the best public ones I have played all year. Played on Saturday for $25 in the morning and the greens were REALLY good given the time of year and the green quality else were around the metro.

1 Like