Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

I’m in Rochester Hills, but spend a decent amount of time in EL as well.

There’s a short course at Hawk Hallow in Lansing, a nice executive course at Cascades in Jackson, or Squirrel Hollow in Battle Creek are all nice options, if they’re close to you.

1 Like

The Hampton is probably just what you’re looking for

4 Likes

Afternoon y’all! So, @eatonsb and myself have been talking about getting a match play season lined up for next year and after listening to the recent nest pod it was the final push to get it rolling. I’m gonna throw up a spreadsheet in the coming weeks but just wanted to get it in everyone’s brains. Not sure if any of y’all have watched the CLC match play thread down in the Carolinas but they ran it really well and everyone had the time to get their respective matches scheduled and completed. Pretty sure we could line this up for everyone across the state to participate with a little time to coordinate and get matches scheduled. Paul had the great idea of having the championship take place at the East vs. West 2.0.

Basically I’m bored and rambling and this should be a great way to get everyone out and playing next season. Also something to look forward to given the dreaded winter on the horizon.

If anyone has any ideas, shoot either one of us a DM

Cheers y’all, this should be super dope

17 Likes

Love it @paroutfromhere, let’s do it!

1 Like

Hell yeah let’s do it!!

2 Likes

Love it. In.

2 Likes

Hell yeah. I’m in as well. This would be great!

2 Likes

I’ll be in for sure. Linking and building.

1 Like

Absolutely in.

1 Like

Sounds sweet…We should have a outing to determine seeding.

1 Like

I’m thinking we will have a group stage setting up the knockout stage. Groups of 4, play everyone once and the top two goto the championship bracket and bottom two to the redemption bracket. Single elimination knockout from there leading to the finals (maybe semis as well?) at the East/West 2.0.

Groups would be regional to help minimize travel in the first half. Depending on how many people sign up we would adjust as needed. I’ll plan to get a signup sheet shortly then lock in the groups and round schedules by the beginning of the year.

I do like the idea of an outing to establish the full knockout bracket as well.

7 Likes

A much needed upgrade is finally coming to The Inn at St. John’s. I’ve always enjoyed Hearn’s work, and this will certainly be an upgrade from what the golf course has to offer currently.

7 Likes

hey all, new to the Refuge and just moved back to Michigan (grew up in Petoskey, went to U-M, and now living in Detroit). i’ve been here about a month and have been exploring the courses around here a bit by myself, but wanted to see if anyone’s looking for a round this weekend. i’m thinking Rackham should be fairly dry by Saturday but also open to other ideas. lemme know!

9 Likes

Welcome man! If your interested there are a bunch of us in this what’s app. Ton of DET/AA guis.

Also look out for the match play for next season!

Edit: also for anyone else that might be interested, hop on in.

3 Likes

Thank you, sir! Just joined up.

2 Likes

Just got around to listening to the member podcast and I am super excited to hear the idea of local and regional “clubs” Can’t wait to see how this shakes out! Can’t wait to meet more of my fellow West Michigan Nesticles!!!

4 Likes

Just had the first tee time cancellation of the season due to courses shutting down 'til next week for incoming cold/rain/snow conditions. Email is full of notifications from local courses. Was trying to get one more Diamond Springs round in - hopefully we get one more decent Saturday (above freezing and no rain is all we ask) before they shut down for the year.

RIP the golf season, it’s been a good one

1 Like

As promised, signups are now open for the 2022 MI Matchplay Tournament. Building off what folks in other states have done, @paroutfromhere and I were talking about a state wide tournament leading up the finals at the East v West 2.0 next fall. The tournament will have a regional group stage followed by 2 knockout tournaments (Championship Flight and Redemption Flight). I’ll modify the bracket and number of groups as needed to accommodate the number of folks who sign up.

Group stage scoring will be:

• 3 points for an outright win
  • 1 point each for a tie
  • an additional point to the winner of a tie breaker (chip off, extra hole, etc you decide)

Top 2 point scorers from each group move to the Championship Flight and bottom 2 to the Redemption Flight meaning everyone is guaranteed at least 4 matches. Matches will use handicaps /agreed strokes on the first hole/don’t be a scumbag. Preliminary timing is for the 3 group stage matches to be played before the end of May and the knockouts to follow in June/July/August. Michigan-Adjacent folks are welcome to join as well.

Link to signup sheet: Michigan Matchplay 2022 - Google Sheets

9 Likes

Northville here…live off the 4th hole at Northville Hills. New to the Refuge/No Laying Up fan from YouTube primarily. Stoked that the latest season of Tourist Sauce is here in the Mitten State! Looking forward to getting more involved with the community!

9 Likes