Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

Recent Top 10 Under $50 list from our buddy at MGL:

I’ve only played Coyote Preserve and The Quest. My caveats are that it’s been quite a while since I played both, and also that I’m not completely up to date on what people are charging everywhere these days.

But I doubt either one of those courses is making my top 10. Calderone interests me, as does Manistee and Interlochen. Otherwise I’m putting a real side eye on this list. Could these just be the top 10 among the courses that indulged him by paying to be featured on the show?

I ride hard for Calderone. You can not beat the value in this area of the state.

2 Likes

I drive by there every time on my way home to Indiana and need to stop and play it. Looks awesome from the road. (I realize I shouldn’t be looking at golf holes and driving)

1 Like

If you’re on this board and DON’T look at golf holes whilst driving, I’d be shocked. You have to. It comes with the sickness.

5 Likes

Coyote Preserve is OK for me (kinda weird vibes of a half finished housing development and Palmer designed bad holes) but would much rather play the Majestic or Huntmore along 23 there.

My dad absolutely loves playing at Interlochen for reasons I don’t totally understand but it’s a decent little track. Front 9 is very parkland muni but the back gets in the woods a bit more.

About to leave to go get punched in the face at Eagle Eye, can’t wait.

1 Like

I’d put Solitude Links on that list but I think this year they’ve gone to dynamic pricing that puts the price over $50.00.

None the less, I really like that course.

So I’m playing 36 tomorrow at 2 different courses near Birch Run/Frankenmuth:

Briar Ridge & Timbers.

Any thoughts on either course? I haven’t played either yet so I’m curious about what to expect.

I played a 3-man scramble event in high school at the Timbers and I remember liking it a lot. On the other hand, it’s probably because I putted like a maniac and we won the event. Having looked at pics of the course more recently, it doesn’t look nearly as good as it does in my memories.

2 Likes

I’ve played three of these. Calderone is solid - quite a different feel on the two 9s. Oceana is not nearly as good as Colonial GC in Hart, which is 10 minutes up the road and also <$50. And I didn’t expect much from a golf course in Ubly…but Ubly Heights is surprisingly decent.

Pigeon Creek IMO is a great course for the money, not sure it would be in any top 10 list in the state, but I really like it. Course plays links-adjacent (walkable, few trees, usually a decent wind, fairways firm), yesterday I was bouncing shots out of the rough up onto the green almost like I was in Scotland. Greens are always in good condition. There are some long, tough 4s and 5s, but there’s also a couple of gettable short 4s over water on the front. May be a little biased as I just shot my personal best by 3 strokes there, but what are you gonna do.

We got 2 spots open for the east vs west if anyone is interested!

Should cost about $50 a person

@Randy , you interested in representing the Westside? It will be a blast.

Hello Michiganders,

So I’m going on a solo weekend trip of UP/Western Michigan golf starting the Friday of Ryder Cup weekend. Trying to keep it on the Strapped-side of budgets. Here’s my current itinerary but would welcome suggestions and advice:

Friday - Drive up to Marquette and play Greywalls +/- Heritage
Saturday - Drive down to play Belvedere and hang out in TC for the day
Sunday - Drive down to GF’s family in Grand Haven and play American Dunes
Monday - Drive back home to Central WI (possibly stop by somewhere on the way to play)

Thoughts? Appreciate any and all your input :+1:

1 Like

I’d say you could skip American dunes. Especially at the amount they’re charging. Swap in Pilgrim’s run or Diamond springs and you have an amazing golf trip!

3 Likes

Breakfast at Donckers in Marquette is a must. Digs is a good place for a beer and some bar food. Ore Docks and/or Blackrocks are both great breweries in MQT. … Presque Isle is a nice place to take in some great views (features the Blackrocks namesake).

Slabtown burgers is good in TC, as was Rare Bird.

Beaches Golf Club in South Haven was enjoyable last time I played.

Enjoy the trip!

1 Like

I second Donckers

1 Like

I’d be ok skipping AD, but I’d have to play near/around Grand Haven as I’m sure my GF’s dad and brother would join and doubt they’d want to go too far out of the way. They have been raving about it so I’d figured that’s where they want to play.

Thanks for the food recc’s @Junkmanjake I’ll definitely make a stop at a few of these joints.

I have an October 3rd tee time there and I’m actually looking forward to it. I’m a vet, so I’m not paying full price, but none the less, I am interested in seeing how it’s turned out, and how it’s filling in.

2 Likes

I played American dunes last week. It was in rough shape.

I won a foursome + lunch at AD in a raffle a couple of weeks back. I’d be happy to host. Let me know.

1 Like