Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

My opinion: If you have significant time constraints (kids, work, etc)…private club is the only way to go. Worth every penny in time savings alone. Lots of reasonable options in metro Detroit.

2 Likes

I mean, the front is whatever. It’s flat and not too interesting. The greens are great so that helps. But those holes around the valley are so awesome. Being as I just moved from the beach where it’s flat as hell everywhere, I can’t get enough haha

Hey all, have a 7:50 am this coming Sunday at U-M booked if anyone is interested in joining.

I had a chance to play Arcadia South this weekend, what an awesome course! The course is better than the bluffs architecturally and based on course conditions. The greens were absolutely pure, the best surfaces of any resort course I’ve played in MI. Really fun track

6 Likes

I can’t wait to get up there. I’m heading up in a month to play both courses in one day. South in the AM and Bluffs in the afternoon.

It’s a pretty decent deal if you play both in the same day.

2 Likes

The south has a really nice range and practice area too. Only downside is in the morning you’re staring right into the sunrise on the range.

Agreed on all counts, there are a couple of holes on the second nine that are just meh, but overall I prefer it to the bluffs for the reasons you mention.

3 Likes

Alright, I can’t remember everyone that I met in the terrordome but I demand that we all start playing more golf together. Me need to get the Monroe round in the works ASAP @DetroitGolfer19 @Szambo

@SpartanButters i intend to take you up on taking you up on that round!

3 Likes

Alright I guess it’s time I checked in here since I might have played with a few of you guys at Maxamania. @paroutfromhere did you play in the afternoon alt shot 8-some? I thought I saw someone tag you as being in that, but not able to put a handle to a name/face.

2 Likes

Yeah man!

Any hidden gems (public) y’all have played? I’m currently in East Lansing but will be up north (Gaylord) for most of the summer. I can never get a straight answer on conditions on most of the courses up north. I love the Eagle Eye (courses) and for the lack of a better term “cheaper” course I play in the area is Wheatfield Valley. Cheers.

We played Groesbeck for a gathering last year and I was shocked and impressed at how nice and fun it was, especially for the low cost.

2 Likes

Indian River Golf Course. It’s a terrific course. Cheboygan Golf and Country Club. Not very many courses as good as this as a value play. They’re a bit further north than Gaylord, but worth a play.

2 Likes

Had some buddies in town last year and we had a blast at Wheatfied. Brookshire on the north side of Williamston is a decent track as well (with a fun outside bar if that’s your thing). A bit further to the east, Hunter’s Ridge in Howell is probably the most underrated course in the area and a great value at sub $40 on weekends.

Not as familiar with the west side of lansing but have heard good things about Shadow Ridge in Ionia.

Boyne Highlands in Harbor Springs has four good courses. Not that far (for being up North!).

1 Like

Yeah I am down. Saturday was great, wish I didn’t have to bail after the morning round

2 Likes

Groesbeck in Lansing is an absolute hidden gem. It’s a local muni and is a fun play.

Also in Lansing is Woodside which is a fun 12 hole course. College fields is a nice course that always are my lunch. And timber ridge has some up north vibes.

I’d say those are all great courses in that area.

3 Likes

Gaylord golf club is pretty cheap and some extraordinary conditioning. They made a top 10 list in the state for conditions a few years ago just below eagle eye. It’s short but fun to play a lot.

We got to meet in the middle at Riverby.

2 Likes

I know this is pretty random, and pretty late, but my yearly Treetops group is looking for two people to replace some drops. The event is June 26-28 (Sat-Mon).

Our lineup is Sat afternoon round at Signature. Round is included but optional, can opt out and get a refund.
Sun morning at Tradition. Then Threetops. Then afternoon at Premier.
Mon morning optional round at Threetops. Then Masterpiece and leave.

Players are divided into tiers, A-D, and then one player from each tier in each group. New group every round so you get to meet quite a few people. I won’t go into format too much, but it’s mostly 4-person scramble for the 3 main rounds (Tradition, Premier, Masterpiece), with hole skins throughout, closest to pin and long drive. Buy-in for all that stuff is $48 for the event.

Stay is Saturday and Sunday nights at the Inn, 2-person, 2-queen beds. Total package is right around or just below $400, I can get a final figure if needed. This includes $50 food credit, boxed lunch on Sunday, and shuttle ride to and from North property on Sunday.

I can vouch for at least like 80% of the group being good people. I went from knowing two people in the group to knowing and regularly playing with almost everyone there in just 3 years. There are about 5-10 serious players, and the rest are there to have a good time.

Let me know if interested, just need an email address. If we don’t get two to bring us back up to 32, we will probably drop down to 28, so the sooner the better!