Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

Just moved to Traverse city. If anyone is looking for an extra hit me up

3 Likes

Bring yourself to Detroit next weekend!

1 Like

just popping back in to say how much we enjoyed Michigan this weekend, absolutely fantastic courses, the weather and views were amazing, and we had an absolute blast. shoutout to @a.elliott26, @mulletmania, and @MorikawaForPres for joining us, hope you had as much fun with us as we did with you!

8 Likes

Belvedere memorial weekend with me and @MorikawaForPres?

Still working on logistics but we most likely be Saturday or Sunday morning.

3 Likes

Mini-write up: The Loop and Forest Dunes were incredible this past weekend. Lodging and food/drinks were great, we hit the Bootlegger Friday at noon (didn’t bring enough club for 9 and 10 back into the wind) but it was a ton of fun. Got to putt on a couple of 100 yard holes, general shenanigans, etc.

We then played the Loop Red in some significant wind Friday afternoon right after a high school tournament and I think we were the only ones on the course, it was a super peaceful (other than the wind) and was tons of fun.

Walked the Loop Black Saturday AM with some early tee times and again it felt like we were the only ones out there, left the group in carts behind us early and never saw them again. Did not have the speed with the putter but managed a solid 81, my friend shot his lowest score ever with an 80 which was fun to watch.

Forest Dunes was the last round Saturday afternoon, went out in +2 playing some of my best golf, but all the golf caught up to us and we were all tuckered out on the back, closed with another 81 from the blues and loved it. 17 is a wild short 4, 3W off the tee led to a Saddam and a Sandie par save. The trip ended with all 6 of our group hitting the 19th green in reg over the pond which was a fun way to end it.

The Loop is right up there with Arcadia South for my favorite course (non-Scotland division) just due to the firm and fast conditions, but Forest Dunes is right up there too. Would very much recommend, could have spent 3 more days there. Shoutout to the literal gallon of Listerine in the locker room with a pump handle.

11 Likes

Great match today with @eatonsb .

Conditties were a little tough with the wind, but good time all around.

3 Likes

Great match! It’s always a good sign when the match comes down to essentially a putt off on the 18th green.

3 Likes

Hell yeah well played boys!

1 Like

It was an absolute blast, thanks again for having me out! It’s a shame Austin and Michigan are so far apart or I’d say we would have to do a roost meet up.

If you’re ever in the area again give a shout!

2 Likes

Hey All - Posted in the What’sApp but wanted to add here as well. @jawnnypage and I have an early tee time Sunday morning at Blackheath, 7:38am. $45. We have two open spots. If you want to join let me know!

1 Like

Glad you guys enjoyed! You make it out to Pinecroft?

Ah, Blackheath. It’s been awhile.

If it wasn’t so far, so early, and if I didn’t have Covid, I would be there!

4 Likes

yessir! had a blast out there, def more fun than we would’ve had at Inter. thanks for the rec!

Hi there,

** Cross-post warning. First posted on the Wisconsin Roll Call and received super helpful feedback which has led to this updated itinerary. **

First time playing in Wisconsin/Michigan area. Trip is solo and I live in SF Bay Area. Hope to get wisdom from those in the know about my planned itinerary.

Biggest itinerary regrets: not managing to play The Loop. Not visiting the Mackenzie course at UMich (love Pasatiempo).

Thurs: arrive ORD, stay the evening in Milwaukee
Fri: Erin Hills
Sat: Lawsonia (maybe 36?)
Sun: another 18 at Lawsonia. Drive to Madison

Mon-Fri: Madison (work). Try to squeeze in a late afternoon round at University Ridge.

Fri: depart late afternoon to Sand Valley.
Sat: play both Sand Valley and Mammoth (36 holes).
Sun: play Sandbox; depart @ 11 am to Manitowoc ferry (2.5 hrs). Ferry departs @ 2 pm.
Mon: Arcadia Bluffs. Play South Course. Preferably 36 if possible. Drive down to Grand Rapids.
Tues: Pilgrim’s Run
Wed: Diamonds Springs. Add Mines if feeling spry.
Thurs: drive to Stoatin Brae, play 18, then head to Chicago
Fri: w/ friends in Chicago
Sat: depart

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on the golf! Food venue suggestions are also greatly welcome.

10 Likes

Epic Itinerary! When is your trip planned for?

Tip #1 - Find a way to play the loop.
Tip #2 - Feel spry, play the mines.
Tip #3 - Have 1-many beers on the founders patio one night you’re in GR

4 Likes

Oops! Should have included that. Early August.

I think the only way to add The Loop is to cut out Grand Rapids. Is that the right call?

Will try to hit up Founders in GR assuming I end up there. Although I have to admit my favorite Michigan beers are Two Hearted and M-43, so those might have to take priority…

2 Likes

IMHO, the loop is my favorite course I’ve played in Michigan. I’ll add the caveat that I’ve never played overseas and I’ve never been to Bandon so it’s the closest thing I’ve ever seen to links golf. When I played it was crazy firm, you had to hit weird shots, it was totally stimulating and unlike any other round I’ve played in my life. I was there in October, I still think about it most days.

With that being said, (I’m a GR resident a little biased but…) I think that GR offers some of the best, affordable public access golf in the country. All 3 devries courses are ones that I would and often do happily play on a weekly basis and I think they’re worth including on a trip to the area.

If you could find a way to get on the loop Tuesday, it would probably add 2 hours in the car total and you’d get to see the loop which would be sweet. You could then hit GR and get 2 of the 3 Devries courses (If you’re only gonna play two I’d lobby for DS and the mines but pilgrims is also really good. It’s probably just most similar to courses you’ll see elsewhere).

One thing worth considering is if you think you’ll ever, and if so how soon, come back to Michigan to golf. There’s tons of other great golf up north that is worth a trip back for and Forest Dunes is only like an hour from Traverse so it would be easy to sneak in on that type of trip as well.

Ultimately I don’t think you can go wrong either way. It’s more a matter of what you really want to see, how far you’re willing to drive, and what you’re willing to pay (A round at the loop is probably comparable to all 3 devries courses)

1 Like

If you’re feeling spry the day you play Pilgrim’s you could also hit up Tulleymore (just NE of there but well in range of GR).

With all due respect for the Founder’s patio and beer, I would recommend a place like City Built Brewing where you’ll taste undistributed beers and get taste some bomb Puerto Rican food.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far!

I really appreciate your description of a course as “totally stimulating”. I think I’ve been using the word “fun” but your term is much more apt. Pasatiempo, for example, can be difficult (especially so for the first-timer) but it’s so stimulating that I don’t mind. So you’re really making me re-think skipping The Loop. Given that I’ll be at Arcadia Bluffs, maybe the smart thing is to hit up The Loop. Grand Rapids is obviously much easier to access from Chicago or Detroit.

This might mean just one full day in GR, and if so, I guess I’ll give the Diamond Springs/Mines double a shot.

Is reasonable to just play The Loop in one direction, or do you get much more out of it by playing it in both directions? And is the Weiskopf course worth playing?

My initial hope was to be in GR long enough to hit up a few of the craft beer places. City Built looks pretty interesting. I do like the Puerto Rican food twist. With the possible itinerary changes, now I might have to make some hard choices of where to eat and drink!

1 Like

Of the three DeVries courses in the GR area, Pilgrim’s would be the last I would cut from your itinerary; it’s one of my favorite courses. It’s close enough you could do it and Mines in the same day pretty easily (if you’re doing GR in one day).

Just my 2 cents.

Also, if you’re interested in having beers from a variety of places, there’s also no shortage of food brewpubs in the downtown GR area (acknowledging you’ll be pretty close to Bell’s the day after GR).

1 Like