Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

As long as Majestic rates are reasonable at the moment. I don’t mind the course but their rates are insane.

1 Like

I think huntmore is the best bang for you buck out that way

1 Like

Tyrone Hills is surprisingly quite interesting. Cool elevation changes, extremely wide fairways, nice layout. It’s just a fun place to play, especially early in the season when your expectations for conditioning aren’t very high. That’s probably my biggest knock on it during the season - it gets quite a bit of play and the conditions are in the B- territory. All things considered, I’m a fan.

4 Likes

Not sure if it’s open but I always thought Hunters Ridge was a fun off-the-radar course. About the same distance from Brighton as 'lil Tyrone

1 Like

RE: Majestic - agreed on the rates. They are usually pretty good in April (around $50). Mid-summer too high. With 27 holes, they often have a twilight rate for 9 holes that is really good, though.

RE: Dunham Hills - love this quirky course. Right down the street from me, so I play it often. It has never been very good early in the year, which is why I didn’t mention it. Seems like they really struggle when it is wet. Come back in June/July/August. Super fun.

RE: Huntmore - similar to Dunham, several greens and fairways will be very wet unless they figured something out the last few years. Kind of a love-hate on Huntmore amongst the people I golf with.
Seems like higher handicaps hate it, lower seem fine. Doglegs, bizarre trees, houses in play. I personally think there’s a lot better golf in the area this time of year.

1 Like

Good call on Tyrone hills, I called just about every place around and they’re the only ones open. I’ll try to battle the wind this afternoon out there I guess. Probably a stupid decision, but I don’t get many work trips where I can play lol.

4 Likes

My normal Fox Hills Saturday early AM group I play with went to Magestic because FH had an outing one Saturday mid summer last year. The resounding thought from everyone was that it was too much money. I think it was just south of $80.

1 Like

yeah, i’ve played a few times in Aug/Sept and it was more than $80 for 18 there. place is not worth $80 even if there is a boat ride if you catch the right routing. i don’t mind the course, it’s just not worth the green fee. it was with a larger group and they seem to always pick that place but need to encourage them to look elsewhere if they want to play at that time of year.

1 Like

It’s April in Michigan, basically the official start of the golf season! And this month’s cover story for the top golf publication in the state? An advertisement for Scarez:

Also taking up a big chunk of the space in the mag? An advertisement article for Disney and one for Gulf Shores, Alabama.

We seriously need better than this. Anybody have any ideas?

3 Likes

Does the add include an exclusive interview with Sir Nick?

1 Like

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 12.32.44 PM

2 Likes

Who publishes this, is it GAM?

Sort of? It’s included with GAM membership. The publication itself says it’s a part of the Back 9 Media Group, and also publishes the Ohio and Indiana Golf Journals (which explains why French Lick is plastered all over every issue). The publisher and guy who presumably writes everything other than guest articles is this guy:

Oddly, I have no idea if this changed hands or what. For most of 2021 every article and publisher’s note was done by Tom Lang, and as of at least the last 3-4 months his name is not associated anywhere.

Love that red text slapped on top of the white shoe that is actually worse to read than the white text directly above it.

Big Microsoft PowerPoint 2007 school project vibes.

Is there a chance of this running again? Missed out the first time!

1 Like

Matchplay matches are getting started! Please let me know if you haven’t heard back from your first round opponent or if anyone needs to drop out so we can accommodate repairing.

2 Likes

Just a quick update, as of yesterday we are up to 14 pieces from the levelwear store for FcF/ NLU merch.

we need to get to 36 total.

Levelwear Drop Ship (US)

The Roost – Levelwear Drop Ship (US)

password: NLUROOST

5 Likes

New to the roost. long time listener to NLU. Based in West Michigan. Used to be a member at Macatawa Legends before they went private this year.

12 Likes

Great name

Welcome! They went fully private this year? That’s pretty disappointing.