Roll Call: Michigan - support the Green Fairway Fellowship!

:fire::fire::fire:

2 Likes

Replay video of the conversation with Mike DeVries today: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1423619390

What a G! Went 15 minutes over with no complaints, mostly because he’s incapable of giving an answer that isn’t in-depth or insightful.

Now I’m ready for some golf on Monday!

5 Likes

Match play bracket is taking shape! I’ve added a tab to the sheet indicating rough region to help minimize travel in the early rounds. Double check that the region makes sense for where you normally play (or at least are willing to travel to). Roughly:
1- Northern Metro Detroit / Eastside / Detroit Proper
2- Western Metro Detroit to AA
3- West half of the state (anyone have suggestions to split group 3 into 2?)
4- Flint / Midland
5- Lansing area

4 Likes

I’m very excited to see how this all takes shape and plays out.

Also how to convince my wife of all these that I have to play.

2 Likes

What’s the need to split it? It’s probably a condensed enough area based on where people are located (GR mostly).

If you need to split it more for logistical/match up reasons, you could do “Lakeshore” and “GR” but based on the towns listed, it doesn’t seem necessary.

1 Like

I should have clarified, no need to split it was more so curious if there was a natural split since I’m not from that side of the state.

1 Like

Everyone that listed an actual city, not just GR, is condensed enough it wouldn’t need a split in my opinion. @JPhilion23 with the Kalamazoo/GR would be the biggest question mark.

1 Like

Hell yeah! Thanks for getting things organized. Love being the ‘up north’ guy…but not that up north. Looking forward to traveling and playing some new places!

1 Like

Let’s gooooo

If splitting makes things more difficult, don’t worry about it. I can make a couple trips up there to play, and I know there’s some courses that are somewhat in the middle that are decent as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the hat and swag, @JDGAFFLIN ! Great surprise on Players final round day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi all!

I’m ready to take Fresh Coast Flock/First Tee - Greater Detroit Linksoul Polo orders! The process is as follows:

1 - Fill out this Google Sheet.
2 - We are asking for a minimum suggested donation of $55 to cover our expenses. This includes shipping & logos. If you want to send us a little more…it’s up to you! :slight_smile:
3 - After donating, PM me your shipping address. This will help me save a lot of time searching through each individual donation!

Due to high inventory, the best option is this polo in Stargazer. They will ship to me in late April, and you should receive them in early to mid-May.

The cutoff for orders will be this Friday, March 18th at noon!

Thank you all!

8 Likes

After Monday’s round at Washtenaw I spent the evening in the lab. I had lots of theories to check out, practice swings to take in the basement with the plastic kids clubs, etc. Once I worked out exactly what I’ve been doing wrong all of these years, I took my theory out to the practice net in my backyard this afternoon.

Folks, I think I’ve found something!

Just to make sure, I’m going to hit the range tomorrow. Here’s the plan:

I’ll start with some wedges and short irons. Those first 5 minutes will confirm that, yes, indeed, something has been found.

Working my way up through the mid and long irons, I’ll start seeing a few small things that need to be tweaked. Each adjustment will take me a little farther away from the thing that was found. Maybe going back down to wedges will return me to baseline? (Going back down to wedges will not return me to baseline.)

45 minutes later, after blowing through my large bucket in desperate search of whatever I came to the range with, I’ll leave in complete dejection and probably never golf again.

(This is all based on previous experiences, of course.)

12 Likes

Hahaha I love it. Good luck and god speed, sir!

2 Likes

For the record, this did not go as predicted. The driving range at Lake Forest is still closed for another 2 weeks. They said it still needs time to settle, and I have no idea what that means but damn if they aren’t losing big time money over the last 2 weeks.

I only had 1.5 hrs, and no other driving range is close, so I used some of my rain check money there and hoofed it out to the course to find a slot to play in. Ended up playing holes 16-18. Not ideal, but I almost flagged a 9 iron on 16, and sank about a 30 yard pitch shot on 17, so there’s some optimism.

All in all, I didn’t hit enough shots to confirm what I’ve found, but didn’t hit any truly bad shots. So maybe it was the ideal situation after all? I can continue living on in ignorance, as if I’ve actually found something.

Oh, and despite the holes I played being in a wide open area that is usually pretty windy, it was way soggier than Washtenaw. Almost every ball in the fairway plugged. Interesting contrast between Monday and today.

2 Likes

Still time to get your Fresh Coast Flock logo’ed Linksoul Polo! Cutoff is tomorrow at noon. Please help us get the word out about First Tee - Greater Detroit, while getting a great deal on a polo!

3 Likes

2 Likes

Haha thanks Jason! A discounted linksoul logo’d Fresh Coast Flock polo while also supporting a local youth golf nonprofit? Everyone wins!

5 Likes

Hello Everyone. Longtime NLU listener, but new here. Playing out of Bay City, MI. Look forward to meeting some of you all on the course sooner or later.

10 Likes

Hello! Where do you play in Bay City? I’m in Midland. Looking forward to getting the season rolling!

1 Like