Roll Call - Metro NYC

Wait can we talk more about the ball splitting in half!?! I can’t say i’ve ever seen this is real life. Was it cut before you hit it?

Never happened to me before either. Like I mentioned, I hit what felt like a solid drive but it sounded strange like a shank and sort of died (the 60 year old guy out drove me). Didn’t notice anything but might have already started to crack. Next shot three wood from fairway and it split. I think I got these chrome softs on lostballs.com or one of those sites. Live and learn. Anyone know the ruling on a broken ball?

Ruling would be to drop and play another from the spot where the initial stroke was taken. The original ball would not count, and you would play the shot over again.

Dang well I played from the shard of ball where it ended up and made a mega par. Coulda been a birdie oh well.

Wondering how you guys like Knoll so far as I was thinking of joining next year. I assume the membership puts you in good shape for booking early tee times on the weekends? Also would be curious on the makeup of the membership, as I’d be looking for others in the late 20s-early 40s range to play with.

I love it, I am 32… I have found a few guys to play with already… So far the membership has been very inviting… I joined as an A member and have had no issues booking morning tee times. I have probably played out there 10 times already this year after joining last month. I personally feel its a great deal so far and am happy I joined.

1 Like

Soliciting some general feedback about instructors in the NYC/Long Island area.

Anybody have any experience with Evan Cather (the Turn - Golf Manhattan), Danny Choi (Spring Rock Golf Center), or Kirk Oguri (Pete’s Golf)? I’m open to other instructors in the area as well, these are just three that have stood out so far in my search.

I’d like to go somewhere that makes good use of video analysis, as I plan to film my practice sessions between lessons, and being able to reference lesson videos will really help those efforts. Lastly, I’ve had lessons in the past (Bethpage) that felt like the instructor just had a handful of canned phrases (think, “I call this one the throttle technique…”) and it felt like they weren’t very engaged. I’d like to avoid that, as well as instructors that put too much emphasis on drills. Any guidance would be much appreciated—it’s hard to spend $100-$200 for an hour lesson only to learn that it isn’t a good fit. Thanks!

I have played two rounds at Knoll West in the afternoon via Golfnow and loved it. How expensive are memberships?

I have taken a few lessons with Evan and generally find him to be effective. He is hands-on and likes to use video so be worth trying. He has sent me some clips with voice overlay of what worked/didn’t which I find helpful to refer back to when at the range etc.
I can’t speak to any of the other guys you mentioned but hope that helps.

1500 for an A membership and 1100 for a B membership.

A comes with $250 in range credit and B comes with $125… I love it… I joined two months ago and just logged my 11th round this season there which I got fall for free after joining.

1 Like

Just perused the membership details on the website. Such a shame that this classic super walkable course forces you to take a cart. I hate riding.

So $1500 (net $1,250) gets you $30 cheaper discounted tee times and access to the course. Seems like a good deal, is it easy to get super early weekend slots?

Definitely for A members if you’re on it when they open up times I’ve never had an issue. You can walk but still pay the same rate…

Yea I’ve walked three of the four rounds I’ve played there. It kind of stinks paying the same rate but I guess I get it. The walkability I think gives it a slight edge over Rock Spring. Plus I actually think I like the par-3’s better at Knoll West. Very fun course. Glad to know a few members there to get me out since I won’t play enough to make a membership worth it and public times are tough to come by.

I don’t mind paying the same rate and am glad to know they aren’t too draconian with the mandatory carts. Need to get those steps in and walking helps keep me warm in these wintry months.

I looked at the “rules and regulations” and it said

Golf carts must be used on the golf course and under the following conditions:
a. Only two persons may ride at a time.
b. Based on weather conditions, carts must follow the daily cart driving rules.
c. Only persons with a valid driver’s license will be permitted to operate golf carts.
d. Walking – no cart used – is only permitted after 3:30pm.
e. Golf cart waiver must be signed.

Any members with super early tee times this weekend need a partner?

@purdmanbrrr Due to COVID they’ve been letting folks walk in the morning this year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see walking allowed next year too. I enjoy walking, but almost always ride if I’m paying for it anyway.

Weekend mornings in season have tee times off 1 and 10 so you’re locked into at least 4.5 hours for 18. It means more folks get to play weekend mornings so it’s a reasonable trade off.

I don’t have an open spot this weekend. Sorry.

Amazing how hard it is to get an early morning tee time considering it is late November.

1 Like

You can thank the Jets and the Giants for sucking

I did a pack of lessons with Evan and while they were happening I didn’t feel like we were making good progress and then I proceeded to drop from a 23 to a 16 early this year and am striking the ball better than I ever have. Like the other poster said I liked that he did a lot of recording and would send me things to review and keep practicing. Sometimes during the lessons I felt like I was just hammering balls for no reason though.

1 Like

Thanks, this is helpful. Still shopping around, but I may give Evan a try. Was his feedback helpful in your solo practice sessions—and do you think that was what helped improve your ball striking?

I’m also a member at Knoll West and love it. Great staff and definitely easier getting a tee time than on the nearby public courses of course. I have a B membership and still manage to find tee times as long as you are a bit flexible and look as soon as it opens up for you.