Roll Call - Metro NYC

Saw you posted about Knollwood - curious to learn more info. I am 27 years old and live in NYC.

good threads over on golfwrx about sub 30 / sub 40 deals for if you live in nyc

You have the link?

there are multiple threads

.https://forums.golfwrx.com/forum/168-mid-atlantic/

Going to be in Westchester over Labor Day and going to play a round in the area. Any recommendations for public golf? I’ve heard Pound Ridge is stellar and Centennial is good. Anything else I should consider?

2 Likes

Probably your top 2 public access courses there. Links at Unionvale is another to consider even though it’s not in westchester. If looking at county options, Mohansic if your in Northern westchester or coin flip between Saxon Woods and Sprain Lake if you’re in the southern part of the county

Edit: Richter Park in Danbury is another good option and not that far into Connecticut

4 Likes

Pound Ridge seems to be a “this course was nice but not that fun the first time around” type of experience based on some of our local guys’ experiences. If you’re in Westchester and looking for a good round, Ferry Point gets a lot of love in the chat and not far depending what part of Westchester you’re in.

NYCC across the river has always been pretty good to me but haven’t played in a few years so can’t speak to current conditions, and Patriot Hills is an ok option, although a lot of big drops tee to fairway, sometimes feels like it was built to be scenic first and then a good golf course second.

Some other guis from the Westchester group can probably give better insight on courses actually in Westchester…

3 Likes

@OpenFace if you have the time this is where to go. Also a VERY good chance you’ll play with some of the Irish members who are the absolute best (it’s semi-private). If you end up playing here and want a partner shoot me a DM. No promises (I have 3 kids) but would love to get up there again.

Pound Ridge is great but don’t be a hero, play the right tees (it’s also $$$). Also agree Mohansic as the best county course option. If you’re wanting to trek into Rockland county, Mansion Ridge is a great option.

2 Likes

Didn’t know there a Westchester group? Point taken. Thanks for the insight.

I will be Thursday thru Monday and I am wide open on Saturday and Sunday. The in-laws live very close to Mohansic and I have played there before. I was kind of asking as you guys caught on was If pound ridge is worth the dollars.

Thanks for the recommendation I will reach out this week when my plans firm up.

Sorry - should clarify to say our NYC metro RACDG WhatsApp chat. From Westchester and even into CT down into N.J.

1 Like

I have played Pound Ridge a bunch and like it. I’m not sure it is worth the weekend prime time price which is quite steep. But weekend afternoon or weekday for sure.

In my experience the problem with the the county courses (Mohansic, Saxon, etc.) is that they get backed up - especially on weekends - so I personally would not recommend.

Centennial is a solid option IMO and not too far. Just north of Westchester. I have also played there many many times. I like Lakes/Meadows of the 3 nines in case you are given an option.

Links of Unionvale is great. But a bit more of trek.

3 Likes

I live about 20 minutes from Links at Unionvale and it’s hands down my favorite course in the area, it’s a fantastic track and worth the trip from anywhere. Irish pub/clubhouse also has fantastic food.

Greens were coming back from being punched when I last played about a week ago but should be fine for Labor Day.

2 Likes

Well I booked a tee time at Union Vale for next Sunday, 6th at 3pm. Thanks for all the advice. I reserved two spots and I am a solo, so that leaves and open refuge spot. DM me if you are interested in a round next weekend.

1 Like

Not a big fan of Pound Ridge, first several and last several holes are good but think the middle holes are nothing special especially for the price. I’m a big fan of Centennial (Lakes/Meadows). played there twice and really enjoyed it.

2 Likes

Interesting… I would argue 8-12 is the best stretch and I think 14 is the best hole on the course.

2 Likes

Curious if anyone here has any experience working with PJ Cowan in terms of lessons? And if you have, do you know where he is teaching out of now?

TBH really wanted to like it more but we were underwhelmed especially for the price. Different strokes for different folks! no pun intended :wink:

Oh I totally agree. I’m not defending the place. It’s not worth the cost, same as a Ferry Point, although I try to play it once every couple of years.

Last I heard he was at Eisenhower, but that may has changed?