Roll Call - Metro NYC

Anybody have any news on NYC courses opening up? I was under the impression Cuomo gave golf courses the okay to open but I haven’t heard of any yet. Am I missing something?

From what I understand you are allowed to play golf as long as social distancing is followed.
Golf courses are still not considered essential businesses so they are not allowed to have any employees beyond security and grounds crews onsite to maintain basic safety.
I think that leaves the public courses staying closed, with private courses allowing members only.

Privately owned courses can open, even to the public, bunch in Albany opening up

1 Like

Several in the Westchester County area opened. Garrison, Somers, NYCC

Saratoga National is opening this Saturday.

2 Likes

what’s interesting is that some private clubs closed completely while others have allowed walking only no-caddie play the entire time despite having proshops and clubhouses closed.

Thought nj was supposed to be coordinating but apparently not as my club is not open. Really want to take advantage of the fact I got laid off due to this and really grind on my golf game

1 Like

I think there is coordination in a generalized way, but no coordination regarding golf.
Here in NYC.
The local NYC Muni courses have been closed since March 23rd ( i think the same thing in NJ). NY state, and Westchester courses were open until April 10th, and have been closed since 4-10 as they are not being recognized as essential businesses.
A clarification was made this past week, saying golf is allowed but the golf courses can only have grounds crew and security onsite to maintain safety.
Locally I have not heard of any public courses opening, as I don’t think they are set up to take payments online, and they are not allowed to have someone onsite accepting money.
I am being told to not anticipate any NYC muni courses opening until after 5-15. The state couse websites say nothing until after 5-7 (though I bet it will be after 5-15 as well).
If anyone know of accessible golf withing 90 miles of NYC I would love to know about it.

public courses in connecticut are open

1 Like

The Club at Middle Bay, Libo, hickory hill, Hudson hill, NYCC, peninsula, Somers, garrison are all apparently open

2 Likes

Bethpage Open April 27th

6 Likes

Almost everything on Long Island will be open by next week.

2 Likes

Sure everyone has already seen but NJ courses open starting Saturday … Skyway has tee times up already for NYCers looking to stay close …

So I played Middle Bay CC today and yes, it was cold and windy. It was golf on a Saturday morning in May!!

The club went to the edge in the post-Sandy era, and is now staging a comeback. It is a pretty good course in a very good setting. The clubhouse is gone and they are re-building the club.

My guess is, when the new clubhouse is built, it will turn it into a “Wedding Factory with a Good Golf Course” place. For now, it is a classic “Hard par easy bogey” RT Jones course. Enjoy.

Lots of wind, always, but especially today:

3 Likes

What’s the best way to get to skyway for non car owners?

Path train to journal square stop, then you’re about 5-10 min uber.

3 Likes

I grew up caddying there as a teenager back when it was fully private. That wind can be a bitch. I agree with your assessment that it will likely be a wedding factory, which hopefully helps fund the course and keep it in good condition. It’s a nice alternative for south shore golfers.

1 Like

It may or may not be possible to actually get tee times at Bethpage. They disappear within seconds of being released

Zocco - Agreed. I just purchased a Green Key for Suffolk County (non-Resident) and played Indian Island today. I am on a flashback tour and loving it:

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s tough these days. Only 4 groups out each hour, and one course closed each day. Factor that into every public course on LI, plus NYC courses being closed. And most people are still out of work or WFH, with time to kill. Tee times are a hot commodity.

However, they pushed first tee time to 6am which is nice, and I expect things to get better come June/July.