Roll Call - Melbourne golfers!

I’ll be there in December, such a great idea.

Anyone got any info on the Par 3 course at KH?

The clearing had been done and looked like early stages of earth moving/contouring when I was there about 2 months ago.

1 Like

They put out a great drone shot of the little course and it looks incredible. I think it is on their instagram.

1 Like

Any news on whether it will be open to local kids/schools to play? Or is it members only?

Latest update for the KH short course below:

3 Likes

Booked flights from the UK to Melbourne for Oct 30 to November 6th :grinning:

Am planning roughly 5 courses between the Sandbelt and Peninsula. Do the big Melbourne courses actually need letters of introduction? I only have a GHIN via the New York Metro association.

Also would KH and Victoria use mats before the Aussie Open? Here before HM UK British Open we do.

Thank you!

2 Likes

I believe they do need letters if you are not being brought as a guest of a member, from previous discussions it’s all on their websites apparently.

As for mats, I really don’t know. I havnt seen them used on a course here in Aus before (have used them in winter back in Scotland)

For the sandbelt my recommendation is to look into stay and play - that’s how I’ve played Vic GC, and I know Peninsula has it as well.

1 Like

Hello again my VIC brothers (and sisters?). My long-planned, thrice-cancelled and much-anticipated visit across from windy Wellington is finally happening…I think! Flights are booked for 25 Nov-4 Dec. Three rounds confirmed already: @MG82 of this parish is joining me for midweek rounds at RM East and West and I believe he’s pulling a string or two at Yarra Yarra as well. Staying somewhere south of the CBD, aiming to split the difference between there and the Sandbelt to save on Ubers etc.

I’m extremely lucky to have a hefty reciprocal list thanks to my club - very keen to get rounds at Metro and Commonwealth confirmed as well - but wondering about a loop south as well, renting a car for a few days and taking in PK, St Andrews Beach, Sorrento, then across to Barwon/Lonsdale.

Super keen to play anywhere/meet up/explore the Melbourne craft beer scene with other Refugees. It’s months away yet but lads I am absolutely fizzing!

5 Likes

If you want to do Mornington and Bellarine (Barwon/Lonsdale) Peninsula’s best bet is to get the ferry across from Sorrento. Is a long drive between the two.

3 Likes

Cheers, will definitely be doing that. Very much looking forward to doing a bit of exploring outside of the city.

Was about to suggest I might be able to get you on VIC as well (if you’re not already playing it) till I realised your trip is on when they’re hosting the Aussie Open so won’t be able.

This sounds like a pretty sick trip already though! Would definitely be up for joining you playing the courses on Mornington and Bellarine. Won’t know till closer to the time with work but if I can manage getting the time off then I’d be happy to tag along for that part and be able to drive as well.

2 Likes

Yeah I was pretty gutted about that as had wanted to do stay and play at Vic and also check out Kingston Heath. Next time!

Would love some company heading south, let’s see if we can make it work!

1 Like

Any Melbourne people out there want to try get a game in down the Peninsula next weekend? Would be good to tee it up with a few. I’m thinking SAB on the Sunday but am free all weekend and open to other suggestions?

1 Like

I’m still weeks off playing, still rehabbing after knee surgery :frowning:

1 Like

Hi, hoping to get some advice as I’m planning a trip to Australia next spring from the states (March into early April 2023). Still in the very early stages of planning it, but I’m starting to form some plans. Part of the trip will be golf of course, but I do want to be a tourist and do other things as well. Never been to Australia before and looking forward to it.

For the golf part of the itinerary, so far I’m focusing on something like this:
Kingston Heath, Royal Melbourne West, a detour to King Island for Cape Wickham and maybe Ocean Dunes, hop to Tasmania for Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm (likely 3 rounds total, so one replay between the two) and then back to Melbourne for maybe golf maybe more general tourism. Trouble is, I see SO many fantastic looking courses and names that I don’t know if I’m focusing my time right.

I’ll be in OZ for just about two and a half weeks on the ground, so probably the first week will be golf based and then the rest will be more tourism.

Couple questions:

1. Anything obvious I’m missing so far? I’m assuming I’ll focus the golf part of the trip in Melbourne/Tasmania/King Island and not the other parts of Australia. I’m planning to start the trip in Melbourne for a while, then go to Sydney for a few days more for general tourism. I’d love to go to Cairns as well depending on how the timing works.
  2. How much time would you give to the King Island and Tasmania parts? Everything I hear is that Cape Wickham is phenomenal and deserves two rounds. Not sure about whether I should play Ocean Dunes as well while I’m there. It depends how I work the flights out.
  3. Does 3 rounds at Barnbougle make sense? Tentatively thinking 2x Barnbougle, 1x Lost Farm.
  4. I know there are other Sandbelt courses (many) that I’m missing right now. I know the NLU guys went to Metropolitan, Victoria, and I’ve also heard of other courses on the Mornington Peninsula like St. Andrews Beach, Peninsula Kingswood, etc. Is it worth a day to go down here and play as well?
  5. I’d love to drive the Great Ocean Road as well, but that will eat into my golf time.

My trip is tentatively something like this:
Day 1: get into Brisbane, fly into Melbourne midday. Be extremely jet lagged
Day 2: Kingston Heath (no tee time yet but have reached out with an inquiry)
Day 3: RM West (in the process of submitting paperwork, but they’ve given me a tee time option). Tee time is mid morning, so unlikely to be able to play a second round anywhere that day.
Day 4-7: some combination of King Island and Tasmania (Barnbougle) in all likelihood, ending back in Melbourne.
Day 7-8: ?
Day 9-14: Sydney
Day 15-17: Cairns, back to Brisbane to fly back to the states.

From here I’m less sure. Would love to drive the Great Ocean Road, planning to spend around 5 days in Sydney, and then a couple in Cairns to finish the trip right now.

Thanks for looking at the wall of text. All advice is great!

Greetings from Melbourne! March / April can be a good time, not as hot as Feb, but before winter hits. Is also when the F1 will be on here.

1. Anything obvious I’m missing so far? I’m assuming I’ll focus the golf part of the trip in Melbourne/Tasmania/King Island and not the other parts of Australia. I’m planning to start the trip in Melbourne for a while, then go to Sydney for a few days more for general tourism. I’d love to go to Cairns as well depending on how the timing works. I was in Cairns in April - if your going there to then go to the Great Barrier Reef, or Daintree, or Outback (where I went) then fine, but I wouldnt go to Cairns itself for a break, really isnt much there
  2. How much time would you give to the King Island and Tasmania parts? Everything I hear is that Cape Wickham is phenomenal and deserves two rounds. Not sure about whether I should play Ocean Dunes as well while I’m there. It depends how I work the flights out. WIckham is as good as youve heard, I wouldnt skip Ocean Dunes as there is some good golf there, but play it first. We played it last and everyone agreed to finish on CW would have been better. There are golf tour companies that could fly you Melbourne - King Island - Barnbougle - Melbourne, if your time sensitive its the way to go.
  3. Does 3 rounds at Barnbougle make sense? Tentatively thinking 2x Barnbougle, 1x Lost Farm. Its a personal choice which one you play twice (for me LF) but you really cant go wrong - throw in Bougle Run and youve got yourself plenty of golf to play
  4. I know there are other Sandbelt courses (many) that I’m missing right now. I know the NLU guys went to Metropolitan, Victoria, and I’ve also heard of other courses on the Mornington Peninsula like St. Andrews Beach, Peninsula Kingswood, etc. Is it worth a day to go down here and play as well? You can get to the MP courses in under an hour and a half from the CBD - so if you have a day. yes St Andrews Beach or The Dunes would be my call - Peninsula Kingswood is closer to the CBD (maybe not quite halfway but closer) and from everything ive heard, is spectacular. If you can get on Metro or Vic then do it, but my first choices would be Royal Melb and KH like you have already done.
  5. I’d love to drive the Great Ocean Road as well, but that will eat into my golf time
    [/quote] - If your staying in the CBD do not try and do the Ocean Road in a day, Drive to Warrnambool / Port Fairy (4.5 hours) stay the night then drive back the next day stopping at all the sites plus Apollo Bay, Lorne, Bells Beach etc (would be a full day if you do it properly) If you are keen, look up Port Fairy Golf Club - is a real gem of a course, and there is a cool one at Port Campbell too.
5 Likes

I don’t know what time it gets dark then in Melbourne but Sandy GC is opposite Royal Melbourne and is a 5500 yard OCM Sandbelt course. Looks ideal for a half set. I’ll post here about a round at Sandy nearer November.

I’ve had trouble getting replies from most clubs. Maybe because I’m not a member anywhere in England. Huntingdale and Victoria (surprisingly) have sorted me so far.

Does anyone know how much PK is please? I’ve asked them twice… If it’s over $500 I won’t ask them again

2 Likes

This is fantastic advice. Thank you so much. I’ll take a look and keep planning!

I’ve had crickets from PK as well - and I’m a member at a reciprocal club!

1 Like

@mike_caridi may have some insight here? Or a decent contact email / phone number for the club at least?