Roll Call - Melbourne golfers!

Similarly themed post as above…

I’ll be in Melbourne for the GP and am wondering whether any of the courses in the metro area do any sort of Masters breakfast/comps, as is a tradition at some of the courses near where i live in Penrith.

Alternatively if any of you would be the means and are willing to host a visitor on either Sat or Mon morning (or can provide guidance as to places that would allow visitors), that would be fantastic!

I’ll have a hire car so could get down to the Mornington if anyone’s down there.

I know I played in a Masters breakfast comp at Huntingdale a couple of years ago, so that might be worth a check?

ps I have just setup a discount code ‘NESTICLES’ for 25% off all purchases at craftgolf.com.au so feel free to get on board for all of the new kit you can get before major season hits.

1 Like

FYI I have also added a clearance section and some new items in the last couple of hours to help make room on the shelves for some Major additions in the near future…

What are peoples thoughts on the best Strapped level courses Melbourne has to offer (<$50 rounds)?

Top 5 of the ones I’ve played so far since moving here:

1. Club Mandalay
  2. Growling Frog
  3. Mt Derrimut
  4. Eynesbury
  5. Hidden Valley

Sandringham should definitely be on the list but haven’t played it yet!

Albert Park could probably sneak onto that list with the city views and a couple of nice doglegs on the layout. Conditioning was pretty solid when I was there too, but that was a couple of years ago…

1 Like

I’d go to bat for Albert Park all day every week any year. Cheap as chips and an easy walk with some subtle greens. And then there’s the views.

Just pack a helmet.

4 Likes

I played Waterford Valley on a trip a few years back and enjoyed it. Midweek it squeezes in under $50.

Keen to see if I can get a round in at Sandringham while I’m down in a few weeks though…

1 Like

I second Waterford Valley, haven’t played it in a year or more though. Unfortunately it was the scene for one of the slowest rounds I’ve experienced. I think that was an outlier though.

Only Mt. Derimut could be classed as Melbourne from that list. The rest are various distances outside what you’d call Metro Melb.

Would definitely put Sandy Golf Links at the top of my list. $50 weekday/$52.50 weekends.

Sandy clear winner of the “close to town” set. Yarra Bend is always in great condition as well. Played Mt Derrimut last week, was ok. Not the scenery of other tracks. Albert Park condition was a bit lacking when I was there in the last few weeks, but they might’ve let it go with the Grand Prix closure coming up. Eynesbury/Frog/Mandalay all about the same. Looking at that list I’m guessing you’re North West? You can get on Medway most days of you want something close and in good condition. They charge about $45 for 18. Enjoy!

2 Likes

Been some good input, few courses I haven’t tried!

Inner north, but there just aren’t a lot of options around here. Forgot Heidelberg, which is a sleeper at $50.

Yarra Bend is a nice walk but it’s a beginner course, why I left it off my top 5.

I like this topic too, but maybe there should be some guidelines, for example, a distance from CBD - I agree the Frog is miles out (but its close to home for me) So set a limit, 20km? Also, on the strapped link, would have to be a true public course, Heidelberg is not really in that category - it reminds me of when Golf Australia posted their top 50 public access course list and Barrwon Heads CG was on it, they responded that they shouldn’t have been on there (stay and play should not count)

1 Like

You used to be able to get public tee times at Barwon Heads on a Friday, within a certain time band. Funny it was on the list, certainly doesn’t scream public. I was also surprised to see that you can just book a tee time at Heidelberg, I was sure it used to quite locked out to the unwashed masses.

Heidelberg might’ve changed recently. We looked at memberships there last year as they didn’t even have an entrance fee, only problem was covid had maxed the books.

The one golf thing that Sydney has over Melbourne might be quality public golf close to the city.

Moore Park, Eastlake, The Coast, Bondi and Randwick are ridiculously scenic if not “good” courses.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve called up and they’ve found times here and there outside of peak days. Not cheap but worth it.

Pretty cool to see Australia leading the way for the rest of the world again! VIC Open, Sandbelt Invtl and now the Aussie Open all as mixed events! And being played at Vic and KH as well!

4 Likes