Roll Call: Massachusetts

I am. Won’t be there Monday but planning on Cape Cod National on May 15.

2 Likes

Got out at Wayland finally Sunday. Game is in rough shape, but course was decent (soggy) for this time of year. Have Friday off this week and might try to sneak out around noon somewhere.

Played there Saturday morning. Some of the holes on the front 9 were very soggy as it hadn’t had any chance to dry out from the rain over night, but the back 9 was much better as the sun came out. I made the mistake of wearing Big Randy’s favorite white NLU performance polo and as a result left the course with some brown polka dots all over it. Agree overall the course was in decent shape though

They did quite a bit of tree work too, so will be interesting to see how it fills out once we start getting some greenery growing.

Has anybody played Beverly Golf & Tennis? Trying to sneak out of work early today to play 9 but haven’t had any experience with the courses near my office / on my ride home (Heading north on 95 from Waltham).

Really fun but challenging course. I am hoping to make another run at it this year.

Yeah, some good holes, some tough holes, a couple throwaways. Gets a lot of play but I generally like the vibe there.

I live right across the bridge in Swampscott and play Beverly Golf and Tennis a lot. Open to getting out there with any Refugees anytime. You need to play it 2-3 times at least to start developing a good strategy. Lot of true Donald Ross eccentricities.

I’ve been curious about this! You’re not the first I’ve heard attribute Beverly to Ross, but I’ve never been able to track down any info on the creation of the course. Do you have any insight?

I dove heavy into it last year and this was the best article I could find: https://www.golfcourseranking.com/courses/massachusetts/beverly/usa/beverly-golf-&-tennis-club/6642/

What about New England Country Club in Bellingham? Hale Irwin design. Played there for the first time a couple weekends ago. Really enjoyed it, some pretty fun holes and scenic views (and a double green).

1 Like

Played New England Country Club a few years back on a cold rainy day so the course was a little soggy. Would be interested in getting back out on more enjoyable day and see what it has to offer

Found a source - from “The Green and Gold Coast: The History of Golf on Boston’s North Shore”

Original 9 holes at Beverly G&T were designed by Vesper CC pro Alex Ellis Sr. in 1913. Another 9 holes were added a decade later but not attributed to anyone, although Skip Wogan redesigned the 16th and 17th holes in the early 1930s.

Doesn’t really matter to me if it was a Ross or not, the place still has good bones and a cool old clubhouse.

1 Like

How do I not already own this book??

1 Like

Where does this book exist? Can’t find it on Amazon or my library.

Amazon through third party, physical editions only it looks like. I found the excerpt in the City of Beverly website describing the clubhouse and property.

Two things for this thread…

1. The forecast for the coming weeks STINKS…please send along your best coping mechanisms.

2. Can we crowdsource a greater Boston aeration schedule here? Fresh Pond is punching on Monday. Anyone have intel on any course(s) within 60 minutes of Boston?

1 Like

Sneaking in 18 this morning, Hillside CC in Rehoboth, $21 to walk. Will likely be terrible after all that rain last night. But it’ll be better than the next week or two. Cold though. God this weather blows.

1. Ive found putting indoors to be the best/only way for me to cope with this shitty weather.

2. I am so here for this. I know Brookmeadow in Canton just punched on Thursday.

1 Like

I played yesterday in the Nextgengolf Boston City Tour tournament at Oyster Harbors. Not sure if anyone else has played that course, but it was an amazing track. It was def rainy and cold, but a pretty great course overall and the tournament was a lot of fun.

2 Likes