Roll Call: Massachusetts

Pinehills is opening March 29. Closer to the city, Fresh Pond in Cambridge is opening March 22.

3 Likes

I can’t wait and I’ll be there after work.

Any interest here in trying to start a weekly-ish post-work 9 hole game at The Pond?

1 Like

I work in Cambridge so would be open to pop over every now and then.

1 Like

Anybody familiar with Falmouth Country Club? They’re open and the tee sheet is wide open for Sunday so I grabbed a morning tee time, going to head down with some buddies for the first round of the year.

I’ve played it a handful of times………….27 holes but none that are particularly memorable. I think it gets a lot of play and is in so-so shape. Good value though, I think it is around $30 for 18.

I much prefer Cape Cod Country Club, which is also in Falmouth. Course is always in good shape and can be a pretty solid test with a great variety of holes.

1 Like

I prefer Cape Cod over Falmouth as well. Cape Cod is open as well this weekend with 5 temp greens.

Good value. It’s closest to or cape house so have been playing there for over 15 years now

No recs for Ponkopoag on the way to Fall River ?!? In alll seriousness, I’ve not played since they reopened the second course. Is it worth it at some point?

I’ll just add my $0.02 on GL. Great bar, great location from city, great range, and great conditions. 27 largely unenjoyable and uninspiring golf holes that I hope to never return to

4 Likes

Got out and played Sandy Burr yesterday. Soggy AF in spots, but overall can’t complain about playing golf outside in March.

Cape Ann is such a fun 9 holes. #4 is one of my favorite holes in New England. Other than during Greenhead season. Those little fuckers make the course almost unplayable.

2 Likes

Played CC of Halifax Sunday. Soggy and wet out there as expected but fun design, greens should be in great shape soon. Nice course to walk

5 Likes

Anyone north of 90 and west of 95 playing today?

Hey - random ass question for you all. Do you have any Boston Marathon viewing tips?

My wife is running her first Boston Marathon in 2 weeks. It’s been tough to find many good tips about the best places to see the race. It seems like the best way is to just find one spot where you’ll see the racers and then slog back to downtown and meet up after finishing. Am I on the right track here? Is it worth trying to go to the finish line? She worked really hard to qualify, and I would love to see her finish, but I assume I would probably have to get there early and only see her there. I would also love to see her more than once, but that seems close to impossible to do.

A complicating factor is that I will be dragging a 3 year old with me and possibly both sets of parents. I have no conscience about ditching the parents since they’re capable(ish) adults. I probably do need to keep the 3 year old with me, though.

Getting to the finish line all depends on her pace. I went 2 years ago after the Sox game to see a few friends finish and was able to get within 100 yards of finish line (right outside where the new TB12 location). They were all within 25 min of each other so we just timed it to go down around their finishing times. People will come and go as they see their friends not many stay for hours to see all runners.

1 Like

She should be finishing around 2:15pm, if that helps.

Admittedly I have not tried to game this out for maximum opportunity to follow a single runner, but I might try going somewhere in Wellesley to catch the half-way mark, then make your way into Back Bay for the finish. Assuming you are staying somewhere in the city, one approach would be to take the Commuter Rail (Framingham/Worcester line) outbound to Wellesley Hills - say the 10:21 train from Back Bay would get you there by 10:50, you are right on the route and at a Caffe Nero. Then after she passes by, take the 1:04 back in and you will be there by 1:33 to elbow your way toward the finish area. Bring a thermos of Bloody Marys.

More tips here: https://www.bostonmagazine.com/boston-marathon-guide/

1 Like

Also, for the 3 year old - consider Warren Park in Wellesley as a good vantage point. Big playground, tons of families, walkable from Wellesley Farms train station (with a stroller). Also plenty of street parking on the side streets accessible from Route 9, if you have a car.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you! We are staying pretty close to the finish line without a car, so this is really helpful.

One bit of advice and one bit of promotion.

Advice: Braintree muni has $30 walking rates (and $25 during the week) as an early season special. The front 9 there has some seriously fun holes. I kinda forget the back 9, but 18 is a good one. All in all, definitely a deal. Will be playing an early 18 on Marathon Monday then heading in towards the finish line.

Promotion: We just put these shirts on sale and I’m biased, but I think they’re fairly sweet. Also available in blue and green. https://www.bostongolfandsocial.com/the-finery

1 Like

Anyone else doing the New England Series this year? It kicks off on Monday at TPC Boston, I’ll be there. If yes, let’s get connected for some golf.

1 Like