Roll Call: Massachusetts

Thanks for all the recommendations! Lots of good options in there.

So @EMeets , you end up joining Vesper CC? or finding a better spot?

Yessir! Joined Vesper and its been awesome so far. The course exceeded all the good things Iā€™ve heard about it and the people have been great.

4 Likes

Anyone played Winthrop CC before? Considering joining. Iā€™m in Kendall Sq and looking for something close by to squeeze in 9 during the weekdays. Putterham (Brookline Golf Course?) and Fresh Pond are also about the same distance away, so will probably at least check those out too. I am intentionally ignoring Newton Commonwealth. It no longer exists in my mind.

Nice! It was purely out of curiosity - Iā€™m down on the South Shore and saw you were looking in the area.

1 Like

Winthrop is worse than Newton Comm.

Fresh Pond is your answer.

3 Likes

I live in Brighton and am looking to possibly join a golf league this summer/fall. Iā€™m 27 and about a 10 handicap. Anybody know of any around Boston? Thanks!

1 Like

Brookline GC aka Putterham has one. Weekly thing during the summer. Almost did it last year but didnā€™t pull the trigger. Not sure if it is full or not. Also saw @Art_Vandelay mention the course, I think there are some fun holes there. I like the atmosphere and theyā€™ve put some money into the clubhouse/amenities recently. Probably could have put the money into some spots on the course but oh well. Gotta make an early time or a late time. Played close to a 6 hour round there one time and it was bruuuutal.

Whatā€™s the beef with Newton Commonwealth? Flummoxed by the diabolical Donald Ross greens? Donā€™t think you can resist the temptation to drive 13? Too awestruck by the beauty of the range mat tee boxes of 4 and 14?

1 Like

Would anybody be interested in a game at George Wright next Wednesday? Flexible on time, last week off of work and was hoping to get out there at least once!

Yea unfortunately that league looks full. Good to keep in mind for the future. Thatā€™s where I normally play, usually just 9 since full rounds get long

1 Like

Played Atlantic CC in south Plymouth today and had a very good chance to break 80 and then some very kind folks ahead of me let me play through on 17 and I went double double and blew it. i donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever parred a hole when someone lets me play through. Ah well.

4 Likes

Acushnet River Vally is a very good course close to Rochester. There is a course in Rochester also but I have never played it I always just went to ARV.

1 Like

The course that is always so highly rated is the Open Course which I have never played. I do think that OS is on the same level as the regular course at TCC.

That made sense to me when I read it but I double checked and the Clyde/Squirrel 18 is the highest rated one and the one people normally play. The Open course takes 3.5 holes from the Primrose 9 which either way doesnā€™t seem like it would be enough holes to go from first in state to unranked.

Donā€™t join winthrop. Friend of mine joined since his soon to be in laws are there. They have a local rule where you need to drop in your own fairway if you miss at all left or right for a stroke penalty. I have not heard a single good thing about the course.

That might be the wildest golf rule Iā€™ve ever heard. If you miss a fairway itā€™s a stroke penalty and you have to drop in the fairway??

Haha just out there having a blast hitting 9i and wedges on repeat

Cape Cod National. Is it worth staying at the resort to get to play it?

3 Likes

Iā€™d shoot a bazillion with this rule. Even when I was playing my best I noticed a several shot improvement at courses where I could play my second shot from an adjacent hole vs. having to re-tee or constantly punch out.

Even tour players blast one way right or left.

Which resort? I played there last year with a friend whoā€™s a member and itā€™s beautiful but I donā€™t know that itā€™s any nicer than Pinehills or Granite Links or some of the other high end public courses around.