Roll Call: Massachusetts

Oh I hated it. It’s not built for golf. They’ve turned it into a party atmosphere I made the trek for the first time last summer last April on a warm spring day. Parking lot was full, so I had to park at the bottom of the hill and lug my clubs up to the clubhouse. Wasn’t able to use the range because it was littered with bros and girls in sundresses/high heels smacking range balls and drinking Harpoon. Its like dropping a Southie Sunday onto a golf course. It STINKS. I will never be back.

7 Likes

Ive played it a few times, but always the same 2 nines somehow. Was in good shape, good time. Remember it being pretty open, so good for everyone I guess. Excellent breakfast sandwiches. Havent been in 5 or so years since Ive moved to Houston

1 Like

Everyone’s worst nightmare…

3 Likes

I’ve been there during what I thought was peak time but have never had to park at the bottom of the hill, that’s garbage. The range = Southie Sunday is the only take, absolutely nail on the head. If you can get an open spot you’ve got some nice scenery though. @chiefteam I’ve heard there are tons of blind shots?

1 Like

Its been a while, but any blind shots I remember were tee shots to very wide fairways

1 Like

Boo this man.

1 Like

Hate it. The vibe alone stinks, “Southie Sunday” is the perfect descriptor. There’s a few good holes scattered amongst the 27, and I have an ace on the 7th at the Granite course so it’s not ALL bad, but I definitely would discourage an out of towner from visiting and plopping down $150 to play it.

1 Like

10/10 use of “Southie Sunday.”

2 Likes

Didn’t really enjoy the course because so many of the holes lack any imagination - it’s just pull driver and hit it as far as you can. There are a fair number of blind shots but there is no real sense of danger because you know the fairways are so wide. The views are great but they do not justify paying $125 for this place (they do offer Groupons which make it a little more tolerable). If you’ve gone this far go further down to Pinehills.

1 Like

Boo… Hiss

Auribe14 asked about a course along the way from Boston to Fall River, seems I had the perfect geographical answer, and a perfectly playable course. Sheesh

1 Like

I’m mostly giving you a hard time, you probably missed some of the Southification if you moved to Houston 5 years ago. That said TheMassHacker is right, if you’re gonna go to Granite just drive the extra 30 minutes to Plymouth and play Pinehills.

1 Like

Geographically you nailed it for sure. The play actually might be to play GW, FP, or even Presidents (short, fun Quincy muni with comparable views), then head up to GL for a mid-afternoon beverage and putting practice before heading to Fall River. I do have a fondness for the GL practice green, many ridiculous putts have been made up/down that slope.

1 Like

Others have already covered it, but I’ll add on: I think Granite Links is an awesome bar with a shitty golf course attached to it. I don’t think it’s worth anywhere close to what they charge for greens fees. I guess that’s what you get when you build a golf course on top of a landfill.

HOWEVER, it is right off of I-93 so easy to get to for the OP if time is a large issue. If not, I would second the recommendation of Pinehills for a really nice round of golf, and George Wright if you want to be in the city for the first part of your day and don’t mind a course that’s a little rough around the edges but has great bones.

1 Like

A collective shitting on GL was always the destiny of this thread.

12 Likes

Feel like G Links is getting dragged a bit too much here. It’d be a sin if someone picked Presidents over it for their 93/24 greater Boston round. Incremental cost isn’t that much higher. Presidents blows.

As for atmosphere, don’t hate the place for finding an F&B program that works. Place was a dump and they turned it into a non-golf destination

1 Like

We’ve found a granite links member! Any chance I can get out there this summer? :joy: Presidents doesn’t stink but I agree it’s not the best option by a long shot for one round in the area

2 Likes

Switching gears a bit, anybody know of any open courses in the area, including the Cape? Trying to get out next Sunday weather permitting.

No member here, nor would I be. The whole “don’t worry we’ll leave nine holes open for you” would suck.

I just accept it for what it is, it’s built for outings, playing with buddies and selling cocktails. In reality it’s closer to TopGolf than Boston Golf.

1 Like

Olde Scotland is open today actually. Not sure about anywhere on the cape yet

1 Like

Not quite the Cape but Marion Golf and Bay Pointe are open year round and with all the melting this week should be in okay shape.

[Update]: Got an email this morning that Cape Cod Country Club is open, carts only.

We’re getting there, gang…

1 Like