Roll Call: Massachusetts

Can’t go wrong with either one. After having ordered a club through True Spec and completed the process with both I’d probably favor TS, personally.

Going in this Saturday for a fitting. Excited to see what happens.

2 Likes

Curious to know who you dealt with at true spec. Had a great experience and got fitted with Nick. Got all club clubs ordered Monday night/Tuesday morning. Hasn’t responded to any of my last emails though regarding shipping, which was a little strange. Probably just me being paranoid, but being in the sales business I know you need to get back to customers with those things.

1 Like

I also worked with Nick, and funnily enough had to email him twice. He said my first message went to spam, but if you have his phone number may be easier to get in touch (I just called him after that and finished everything up).

1 Like

Awesome thank you. He definitely knows his stuff and was super helpful. Excited to get new stuff in the bag this year.

How was your experience? Recommended over CC? What did you get fit for

Mass Golf Association member day lotteries are live starting today. I’m looking to play a couple this year, hopefully Whitinsville and Kernwood.

Anyone else ever play these?

Have thought about doing those before? How are they? What’s the level of play?

Pretty laid back, can be as competitive as you want to be. I typically use them as days to get out on courses where I don’t have a contact. The demographic is usually an older crowd for the most part.

I’ve never done CC, so tough to do a fair comparison. Facility is stunning, super friendly staff and they were very thorough. They gave me all the possible options that would work best for me. I swung 4 different Iron sets, 4 drivers, 2 3-woods, a couple hybrids and a wedge. There were a ton of different shafts tried as well.

I ended up getting fit for new M6 D-type driver with Graphite design Tour Ad shaft and 3 wood, Callaway GBB 4 hydbrid and GBB irons with KBS Tour shafts. I’ve ordered driver and irons for now and will probably order 3-wood and hybrid a little later in the season. He was super honest with my wedges too and could tell that I had a comfort level with them so didn’t recommend changing them.

1 Like

Might be available to play for one day in Massachusetts/Rhode Island in May. Flying in to Boston early in the AM, need to be in Fall River for dinner. Will have rental car.

Best ideas for golf that day? Budget may be a factor.

The direct route from Logan to Fall River does not overflow with fabulous public golf courses along Rt. 24, but if you have most of the day to work with, you could take a detour to South Shore Country Club in Hingham or go by way of Plymouth to play Pinehills or Waverly Oaks. If you are an architecture nerd and you want a cheap thrill, Marion Golf Club is not too far from Fall River and is George Thomas’s first design. I have not played it, and it has been described as “hardscrabble” on the Fried Egg, but at $22 you probably won’t regret the greens fee.

2 Likes

Braintree muni is alright and won’t steer you too far out of the way

1 Like

DW Fields isn’t far and usually pretty cheap to play.

1 Like

DW Field in Brockton isn’t the worst option.

1 Like

Braintree has a good front 9 and a godawful back 9 as far as I remember. 18 is fun though. Agree with @mcriblet on SSCC, Pinehills, Waverly Oaks, though they’re way closer to the coast and not directly on the way. If you want to play in the morning before you leave the city, I’d highly recommend either George Wright or Franklin Park, but really only if this is a weekday or you have time for a 5+ hour round. Otherwise, strange as it might sound I’d suggest Olde Scotland Links in Bridgewater. It’s right on the way and is actually really fun, if you can get past the blasphemy of a “links” style layout in inland SE Mass. Interesting half-par holes and cool green complexes.

2 Likes

As has been said, driving down rt 24 does not have the greatest of golf options but if you want to take a slightly longer route and go rt 93 to rt 495 to rt 24 then you can hit Brookmeadow in Canton, which is a good and affordable course. I will second Pinehills but personally, I would overshoot Fall River by the 20 miles or so and hit up Newport National.

I play Marion Golf Club at least once a year and while the stone walls make for an interesting challenge, you are getting what you paid for. Course can be in pretty rough shape.

3 Likes

Tacking on the extra 20 to Newport National seems like the play here IMO.

1 Like

Seems like Granite Links would be perfect

1 Like

Have you ever played GL? i’ve been to the range a bunch and the views are GREAT. However all the opinions of the course from people I respect say that it stinks. Tron is not a fan and a few of my friends have agreed. I haven’t had the guts to put ~$125 down to see if they’re right. Riggs from Barstool was a member there when he lived up here which might say all you need to know. But I’d be interested to hear from more people who have played there.

3 Likes