Roll Call: Massachusetts

From there, the Woods Hole ferry to play Farm Neck is certainly worth your time. I will defer to others on here with more knowledge of the Falmouth area courses - DBD’s suggestions for Mid-Cape are more my area of expertise.

Also, if you don’t mind a little drive, from there I would check out the Plymouth courses - Pinehills and Waverly are both much closer than Truro, and worth playing.

1 Like

If I get picked by Mass Golf to play Woods Hole on the Member day you are in my foursome. Welcome to MA.

Appreciate it thanks for the welcome.

Sounds good thanks.

Only been to Crosswinds in Plymouth once, but in my experience it was essentially Pinehills with a better rate

2 Likes

Cape Cod Country Club in Falmouth IMO is one of the best values in the state. Always in good condition, can usually get a tee time, and has a bunch of interesting holes.

1 Like

:eyes: :eyes:

1 Like

I second this take

Great. To be honest, I have only played Waverly myself, so if Crosswinds is a better deal than Pinehills, I would love to check it out.

1 Like

This raises a good point that many of the great private course around the Cape and Islands are playable by non-members in the offseason if you know where to look and have some ability to play on weekdays. Local fundraisers, town resident days, and societies like the The Tour of Greater Boston all offer opportunities like this. Looking at the Tour Schedule, some of the events were cancelled this year for obvious reasons, but theoretically you could play:

Wianno
Plymouth CC
New Seabury
Woods Hole
Pocasset
Eastward Ho! (!!!)
The Ridge Club

All within about 45 minutes of Quisset Harbor.

4 Likes

Crosswinds is a little tighter than Pinehills and not in quite as good shape, but it’s a fantastic value, especially if you play all 27 holes. It’s literally next door to Waverley so there are 45 great holes all right there for the playing. If you haven’t played any of them, it’s worth doing so.

There is a chance that the name has subconsciously kept me from playing Crosswinds, as cross winds absolutely menace my high spinny drives. To be clear, of course I know the winds there will be exactly the same as at Waverly.

3 Likes

Too relatable. Feels like a disease I can’t rid myself of at this point

2 Likes

I’d also add that the Cape has the best set of Muni’s in the state of Massachusetts. Barnstable (Olde Barney and Hyannis), Dennis (Pines and Highlands), Yarmouth (Bass Rocks and Bayberry), and Brewester (both captains courses) all have two muni’s each and they are ALL worth playing. Closer to your house Falmouth and Sandwich each have one. They’re not exactly fast, but because there is so much competition - they’re all worth playing. Plus, you can join one of them for about $1K per year

1 Like

Got a Cape trip planned with my dad next weekend. Playing Pinehills on the way down, Hyland Links and then Olde Barnstable. Any good par 3 courses in the south Yarmouth area? Pitch and putt preferred.

There is a very good part 3 course called Blue Rock (https://bluerockgolfcourse.com), right in S. Yarmouth across the street from bass river. Is 18 holes and you need every club (can even hit driver on 1 hole). There is also Twin Brooks in Hyannis, right near the melody tent, but (I believe) Blue Rocks is “better”. I don’t think there are any “pitch and putt” courses on the Cape

Only downside is I think they (Blue Rock) aerated late last week, or early this week, so may be a bit bumpy

2 Likes

Thanks. I will check it out! Trip is actually the weekend after so greens should be okay by then.

If you wanna hit one before the bridge there is Little Harbor in Wareham. Haven’t played it this year but usually in great shape.

May have been mentioned earlier but the New England Series goes to some great places as well.

Bayberry Links 9 is a fun one built on top of a capped landfill. 1 and 9 are short par 3s but 2-8 really stand out as fun, wide open holes with zero trees.

1 Like