Roll Call: Massachusetts

Essex did host the Solheim in 2010

1 Like

Myopia was being heavily considered. The head of the LPGA (Michael Whan) even went to Myopia and played (my buddy caddied for him) and loved the place, but didnā€™t think there could be 4 pin placements, especially on 9-12. I disagree, but Iā€™m some schmuck, not the head of the LPGA.

1 Like

You mean 9 and 4? 4 has less pinnable area than 9 due to how much it slopes. 12 seems like it has 4 spots.

4 and 6 arguably have 0 legitimate pin positions at the speeds they keep the greens now

1 Like

Good call - didnā€™t look through team events for that post. But def a big important one!

TBH I do not know what he said about 4. Youā€™re right, definitely limited positions on 4. 12 has 4 spots, but not ā€œ4 great spotsā€ which was the majority of the conversation. # great pin placements but not 4.

Again, this is second-hand knowledge.

Anyone know if there are any outdoor ranges with launch monitors in MA? I thought maybe Kohr or Harmon Golf? I love PureDriveā€™s facility in Woburn, but not in the summer.

1 Like

McGolf in Dedham has TopTracer. You need to be under the covered bays but still open air.

1 Like

Those 3 bays in between the uncovered and covered rows? I never realized that, and I thought those were only for lessons.

Nope, all the covered bays. You need to download the TopTracer range app, but it is a pretty simple set up.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s awesome. Thanks.

I didnā€™t see this in the thread anywhere but kind of wild to see a 56 in Mass:

Nick has had a ridiculously good summer of golf. Three 2nds and a win at the Hornblower is outrageously good stuff

1 Like

I am several days late here and searched the recent comments (I didnt see it) but as a native of the 413, just want to share that the USGA held the 2004 US Womenā€™s Open at the Orchards in South Hadley. if this was pointed out earlier and I somehow missed it, I am sorry for the useless post in this thread. I had moved down to DC a year earlier so I wasnā€™t able to attend but I recall my Dad spending a day there on one of the early rounds.

Meg Mallon won and Annika finished second!

1 Like

Iā€™m moving to the Cape this fall and looking for course recs. Iā€™ll definitely hit Marion and HighlandLinks a few times but any other options would be appreciated. I donā€™t really care about the specifics of the course except that Iā€™m trying to find the least-crowded ones I can.

Where on the Cape? Highland Links and Marion are more than an 90 minutes apart, with roughly 50 public courses in between, many of them very good and almost none of them will be crowded after this weekend until next June. Plus courses on the Cape tend to stay open for most of the winter.

1 Like

Bass River is a must play. Someone called it ā€œDonald Ross at his gentlestā€ itā€™s got some cool holesā€¦

Other Mid-Cape recommendations from my experience are Cranberry Valley, Dennis Pines, and Captains. Cummaquid is great of you can get on.

5 Likes

Add the bridge traffic too and its even longer during summer.

Iā€™ll be in Quissett Harbor ā€“ obviously far from Highland but I wanna check it out at least a few times. I honestly donā€™t care how far I have to drive within 90ish minutes, the geography isnā€™t that important to me.

Thanks Iā€™ll check those out.