Roll Call: Massachusetts

A boy can dream, I suppose. Just imaging being able to bring my daughters out to see the ladies while we are on vacation down there some future summer. And if the PGA event can run shuttles from Great Woods, can’t the LPGA run shuttles from the Melody Tent? But practice facilities and other on-site infrastructure are seemingly insurmountable obstacles at a great many of these courses.

1 Like

There were rumors a few years ago that the USGA and Myopia were talking about a USWO going there. What I heard is that Myopia decided it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Essex also hosted the Curtis Cup recently (women’s version of the Walker Cup).

2 Likes

Smaller USGA events may be the best we can hope for at these older course, but at least you get the chance to see some old school beauties like they recently did with Chicago Golf. How about a Senior Women’s Open at Dedham or Brae Burn?

1 Like

Son of a bitch I missed that Curtis Cup. Just looked it up, I was 20 in 2010. Definitely not woke enough to care about women’s amateur tournaments

1 Like

I think Wellesley hosted a US Senior Women’s Am (didn’t actually know they had that) a few years back. But I agree with you - I would LOVE to have an LPGA or USGA Women’s tournament up here. Would be great

@mcriblet - are you on the cape all summer, or just here and there? I love Hyannisport and could definitely see a US women’s open type event there (putting aside fans). Along those lines Kittansett is hosting the 2022 US Senior Men’s Am - I am definitely going to try and got there

1 Like

BTW, having been to Great Woods a bunch and the Melody Tee even more, think about the Meldoy tent parking lot as a 1/10 of Great Woods.

1 Like

You’ve got to remember that it’s a pretty recent development that pro sports are considered ‘respectable’ vs. the realm of degenerates, hustlers and gamblers.

Is Worcester CC a viable option for an LPGA or Champions Tour event? I’ve never played but have heard nothing but good things. No idea how it could handle spectators though.

2 Likes

LPGA and Champions Tour don’t really have to worry about spectators.

3 Likes

Yes, Wellesley did host a few years back. I think it was fairly controversial with their members, as the trade-off of required additional investment and lost member times was not necessarily rewarded by a major bump in reputation given the limited attention for the event. I was out of town at the time, so I did not actually see any of the play there, but probably would have stopped by to check it out otherwise. I know I would have loved the opportunity to caddy in an event like that 20+ years ago when I was toiling under the straps there.

I am down the Cape a bit in the summer, but certainly not full time. We did a two week rental in Harwich this month, which was a treat, and the longest I have been there since I was a kid. I have played Hyannisport once, and thought it was great. I can stay with my parents in Harwich any time, but gets a bit cramped with too much family around. I admit I have never taken in a show at the Melody Tent, but the comment comparing to Great Woods parking was mostly intended as tongue in cheek.

I do hope I can get to Kittansett in 2022, though it is too bad it is the same year we get the US Open in Brookline (and the next time we might get to see the Tour at TPC Boston, too). Smaller USGA events are pretty awesome ways to see these courses, though my plans to go stay at my in-laws place near Jupiter to take in the Walker Cup at Seminole next May seem like they may be fading away unless there is a big breakthrough on the Covid front.

1 Like

If we’re talking about getting to smaller USGA events, how can we not talk about this: 2021 Mid-Am is at Sankaty Head.
https://championships.sankatyheadgc.com/

6 Likes

I would think so. They’re seriously considering getting a Solheim Cup there (to the point that there is an established routing they would use), so I would think that they are open to hosting and have given some thought to logistics. The spectators wouldn’t be that much of an issue IF the course was okay with having people trample on the fescue that runs between much of the back nine and intermittently throughout the front. Spectators would require shuttling, but there is definitely space. The biggest issue I see would be with the lack of a solid practice facility on site.

1 Like

Worcester could absolutely host the LPGA. It would be a great place for them. Obviously not sure about infrastructure.

Orchards in South Hadley hosted the 2004 US Women’s Open and that was well received. No reason the place couldn’t host another LGPA, Senior, Symmetra event. Par 71, tips out over 6500

1 Like

COVID cancelled all vacation/travel plans, started to burn out at work so taking a few days off for a staycation. Thinking about playing a few courses new (and ideally near) to me. Starting with Wayland tomorrow, got a few family day trips planned after that but hope to get out again on Monday. Anyone else looking to sneak out on a weekday?

Going to be out on the island, Sept 3- Sept 11th. If anyone wants to hit up Miacomet of Siasconset, DM me.

Hey I moved your question from a stand-alone post to this thread. You’ll have better luck here.

Cool thanks

By the way saying “island” and thinking we all know it is Nantucket is a baller move.

5 Likes

Staying in Dennis for a week starting on Saturday(29th) and I would love to play any or every day monday-friday … anyone interested?

1 Like