Roll Call: Massachusetts

The only one I’ve played of those is ridder farm which is boring as all hell. Super flat and monotonous, I’d stay away. I’d recommend south shore in hingham if that’s not too far from you (previously mentioned in the thread), and rockland is owned by sterling golf management who are usually pretty solid on conditioning so that may be good

Haven’t played Olde Scotland in a number of years but I remember it being a fairly simple track and an easy walk. Personally, I stan for Chemawa. Yeah, it’s a short course, even from the tips, but it is narrow and hilly and a fun challenge, especially the back 9. Also, because it is family owned they keep the place in great shape. If I lived closer I would play it all the time.

Closer to the city I would check Newton Commonwealth - that place is open as long as there isn’t snow on the ground.

Ended up walking Olde Scotland. Not too bad. Was still pretty frozen but hey golf is golf and an opportunity to play in January in Mass is always welcome

I’m out in the burbs for now but really got into golf via Newton Commonwealth/Putterham when I was in school at NU and then working for the university.

Nothing quite like hitting into the 10th green at olde scotland and it landing in the shaded area launching your ball into the woods.

2 Likes

Taking the day after the Super Bowl off (it really should be a national holiday). Supposed to be 55 and sunny - anyone want to play somewhere near Boston? Not sure who’s still open after the recent cold snap, but I can do some investigating today. @FringeLife Is Olde Scotland worth playing?

1 Like

If it’s open it’s worth playing. Was a good walk, fairly open. I enjoyed it for $30.

But aim short of the greens and expect 20/30 yards of “roll” aka bounce. Was pretty stiff out there last week. Oh and forget about teeing anything up unless the ground suddenly warms and opens up. I didn’t mind hitting woods off the turf though

1 Like

How was it out there today? Did you get a group together?

Fun course, warmed up a bit so tees were going in at least enough to hit driver. Just played with a few home friends. Will def go back in season

My fantasy football winnings are burning a hole in my pocket, so I figure I might as well use it to upgrade my driver and then hope that will somehow immediately make the weather improve. I saw Club Champion mentioned in the club fitting thread and I’ve heard good things about Joe & Leigh’s, but I don’t have any prior experience with getting fitted for clubs. Anyone have strong feelings towards either or any other recommendations?

I had a fitting at Club Champion last winter, 2nd time I had used them (first was back in 2014). The fitting part was fine, everything else around it wasn’t good, mainly from a customer service standpoint. Wouldn’t return followup emails or calls, gave me the run around on when my clubs would be ready, I was really turned off by them. If you want to know more, PM me.

True Spec opened a location in Waltham recently, and I’m intrigued by them, but haven’t seen any reviews yet. If you want to see your ballflight outdoors during a fitting, then your choices are either Joe and Leigh’s or Cool Clubs in Natick.

1 Like

Funny I have the same issue here with deciding what to do with my fantasy winnings. I know that Joe and Leigh’s are awesome but was thinking of trying out Cool Clubs for something different. Either way I think you should get your money’s worth

I always have a good experience with Joe and Leigh’s. Got fitted for a driver there and was very pleased with the results. Good information and no hard push to sell me the most expensive club.

Did anyone make it up to the PGA Superstore opening in Peabody last weekend? Is it worth the drive or should I just wait until the second location opens in Braintree?

Got there at 630 AM and was around 60th in line. Didn’t get any free gear (the guys who were first in line showed up at 830 AM the day before), but got a $100 gift card which was nice. They might still have some deals going on. I’m guessing the Braintree grand opening is gonna be NUTS since it’ll be sometime in June, so the temps will be bearable. To answer your question, it’s a cool spot - there’s a bunch of hitting bays and simulators, a huge green, and as many brands of gear as you’d ever need. Might be worth the look before deciding if you hit up Braintree.

Played indoors yesterday at the clubhouse in Peabody. The place is jamming on the weekends but a good time. The owner is kicking around every day and even came over to introduce himself to us. Would definitely recommend if you are on the north shore.

I must officially be too old because I can not think of a single thing in this world which would make me camp outside a store overnight.

Saw some mentions of Pure Drive in Woburn and wanted to add my thoughts. Been over there 3 times so far, really like the setup and experience. The course selection is kind of lacking IMO, but the practice setup and being able to record and then upload your swings and data for analysis is really cool. I’m a fan.

I also checked out True Spec in Waltham this past weekend. Also really liked the setup there, and I’d compare it favorably to Club Champion. The jury is still out on the overall experience (I followed up via email about moving forward with a custom driver and haven’t heard back), but my initial experience was great.

1 Like

How much was your fitting at true spec? Curious to know how they stack up against others.

Driver fitting was $125, I think they offer discounts for full bags.

Not too bad, might give them a shot.

Yeah I’m torn between which one I should go to, CC or True Spec