Roll Call: Massachusetts

heading to Cape Cod for a family vacation over the first week of July. Staying near Yarmouth and looking for recommendations and tips for playing in the area over the holiday week. Bass River, Bayberry Hills, Hyannis, etc. all seem like great options but interested if there are any hidden gems or semi-private places that would be worth seeing. Idea is to golf early and spend the rest of the time with the family.

Cape Cod Country Club, Cranberry Valley, Olde Barnstable, and the 36 holes at Captains are all solid options as well. Theyā€™re all varying distances away but it helps expand your search a bit.

2 Likes

I also think the Dennis courses (Highlands and Pines) are good, although Pines is a little too tight for my game.

2 Likes

appreciate that. Spend a lot of time in Gloucester when I am in Massachusetts but never down at the Cape. What are some things to look out for in general with being there over the 4th? Expecting traffic and semi-shitshow just given the area and time of year, but interested to know if there is anything else to look out for.

1 Like

+1 for Dennis courses. Highlands is wide open and fun. Pines is tight and challenging.

1 Like

I generally avoid the Cape that weekend, so I donā€™t have anything specific to help with. Iā€™m sure others do though.

Potential for absolute traffic mayhem in town centers down there that weekend. A ā€œquickā€ ride to the bagel shop could be an hour. You also wonā€™t have any luck getting onto a semi private or private course that weekend or really for all of July/August. Itā€™s a short season of prime summer nowadays.

God speed and enjoy yourself.

1 Like

Traffic is going to be horrible especially given how the days fall this year. If you are staying for the whole week then hopefully you wonā€™t have to leave on the actual 4th. Try to drive down very early or on some sort of off time. Personally, Iā€™d stay down in the Bass River/Bayberry area to play and not deal with other Cape traffic but Cape Cod CC is worth checking out. Not sure my exact schedule yet but might have room at Willowbend. Shoot me a DM.

2 Likes

getting in on 6/30 and leaving 7/8. Public places look great and this also isnā€™t a golf trip as much as Iā€™d love to make it one. Appreciate the feedback and will be sure to educate the family on traffic. Really appreciate the feedback, everyone!

1 Like

Ocean Edge is good too. I support the Dennis course recommendations, too. I would put in a good word for the Plymouth courses (Crosswinds, Waverly, Atlantic, Southers) if you want to get off the cape for a few hours.

1 Like

In the Dennis/Yarmouth area, dog house for a good lunch spot with no frills, hearth and kettle for breakfast. Summer shanty has a great outdoor spot for drinks overlooking marina.

1 Like

Anybody have recs for golf shorts/pants? Have a trip in a few weeks and need some new shorts. Hate some of the prices Iā€™m seeing.

Peter Millar crown sport is the absolute best short I have ever worn but they are very expensive. I have got pairs on eBay brand new still in the packaging for 30 to 40% off.

1 Like

Donā€™t sleep on the Target brand ā€œAll in Motionā€ I think. I have a couple pairs and there as good if not better than any of the $$$ options

1 Like

100% agree on those Peter Millar shirts. Best golf shirt around IMO but they are shockingly expensive.

2 Likes

Bayberry hills and bass river are fun as are both captains courses.

Skippers chowder house and captain Parkerā€™s are 2 restaurants worth checking out. Neither take reservations so we usually go and put our name in and head back to the motel/house and get ready. Typically an hour wait.

You wonā€™t like the prices but I almost exclusively have Lululemon golf pants and shorts, not their golf specific ones but the commission or ABC depending on the style. Extremely comfortable and look great

2 Likes

100% agree. Not cheap but they last and stay comfortable. I can sink wash them on trips super easily, too.

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for club fitting recommendations on the south shore. My son, who is about a 7 handicap, is going to college in the fall in the PGA golf course management program and Iā€™m buying him some new irons for graduation. The obvious option is PGA superstore in Braintree, but Iā€™d like some other ideas if anyone has them. Heā€™s a member at Plymouth Country Club, which is a Titleist fitting facility, but I donā€™t want him to be locked in on those.

1 Like

Kohr in Natick, Spargo in Providence.

2 Likes