Roll Call: Massachusetts

Yikes. Why would you even want to show up and get absolutely boatraced?

2 Likes

We had a drop for this weekend’s Roost event at Brookmeadow in Canton. So, if anyone was lingering and wants to find out what Roosts are all about, now would be a great time to grab the spot and get involved. Weather is looking nice and tee times will be hard to get around the Commonwealth this weekend, so why not lock down a guaranteed chance to play some golf??

2 Likes

It’s a good time, I played a lot on Newton Comm in college. Like others said if you manage your expectations it’s a real fun course where you’ll never get bored playing the same style hole back to back (paging dr. wayland). I don’t think it’s worth it driving the green on 1, too small of a green. 2 is a bit of a beast, 3 plays more uphill than you think it does, 4 is tricky and don’t be left, 5 is a good little par 5, 6 isn’t worth trying to drive because right is jail, 7 is a great downhill par 3, 8 is a very gettable par 5, 9 plays longer than you think with the downhill. 10 is allegedly drivable, 11 isn’t worth going for it because you’ll be on a severe upslope. 12 is a good short 3, 13 is the one where you’ll get kicked out going for it (the green is right next to the pro shop), you can basically bunt a 6 iron and it’ll roll down the hill. 14 is a great risk reward hole, 15 is the best hole on the course, 16 is a tough 3 tiered green, 17 is a great driving hole, and 18 plays easier than it looks. Enjoy!

A bit late to this comment - but as a Boston native now living out West, I’m pretty surprised by the lack of solid sports bars in the Back Bay/South End when I’m home to visit.

If I wanted to watch the Celtics with the sound on near Boylston next week, what’s the move? Bukowski’s? Dillon’s?

I think the best sports-bar style TVs are the Yard House inside Copley Marriott (formerly Champions). They have sound on for some big events (I watched USA World Cup match there and they had sound), would hope so for Celtics playoffs, but atmosphere kinda sucks. There is a new Irish pub tenant in the old McGreevy’s, have not been inside but walking by it looked pretty similar with TVs.

1 Like

Hard agree on Yard House.

Does anyone know a friendly member at Taconic? Taking a quick weekend trip there in August and would love to get a tee time with a member there if possible to save a few hundred bucks! Please slide into my DM’s if you do.

1 Like

Hey there! I’m currently a member and would be more than happy to host. Shoot me a DM and we can work something out. Worst case I can talk with the Assistant pro and try to set something up if I’m away

Note that they’ll be doing some pretty substantial course work, but I believe that’s post September. So you’ll get fully ejected from the 6th, 10th, 12th and 13th greens that they’re going to try and soften up

1 Like

If you have time, check out Wabeeka(very close to Taconic), waconah(Dalton) and greenock(Lee). And as I have shared many times before, go to Ye Olde Forge in lanesboro get the forge wings crispy.

5 Likes

Hello everyone! Long time listener, recently joined the nest, just started figuring out my way around the site.

Just a city kid all grown up who mostly plays only the finest courses Massachusetts has to offer (Newton, Brookline, Wayland and Sandy Burr) but try to play as many different courses as I can. Hoping to get the GW season permit this year🤞.

Anyway, Hi, happy to have found this community!

10 Likes

That would be amazing. Hoping to play Saturday or Sunday morning the first weekend of August. I’ll reach back out in July, thanks in advance!

2 Likes

HELL yea, some of the best wings I’ve ever had.

I still need to play Waubeeka, Waconah I’ve played, and it’s a odd little course. Same architect as Taconic but don’t see much of the same Stile (lol) between the two. Back 9 is fun though

3 Likes

5,400 yards kicked my ass this morning. I definitely enjoyed the terrain and the greens were awesome, surprisingly firm. Didn’t love some of the quirks but cannot complain overall for the location and cost! I concur with everything you said above, thank you for the advice.

1 Like

Yeah when I played there a lot it was the best greens for the price in MA. Glad you enjoyed!

Fellas, coming in town end of May for a little work and golf. Playing Brae Burn, Worcester and trying to get on The Country Club currently through a friend. Staying at the Revere in the commons(work paid for it) any recommendations on food, pubs, things to see and do/things to avoid? Thanks!

3 Likes

Interesting that the Revere is marketing itself as on the Common, which would put in the same company as The Four Seasons and The Ritz. In reality it is a few blocks away and would most likely be described as in the Theatre District, which is a much nicer name than when that area was known as the Combat Zone in the 1980s. Not trying to scare you off, it’s a nice hotel and a safe neighborhood!

Lots to recommend in Boston, let us know what you are looking for, but my first rec in the immediate vicinity of your hotel (Bay Village is the official name of the neighborhood) is a breakfast sandwich from Mike and Patty’s. You are close to Chinatown, which has some good spots but not generally what tourists come to Boston to experience. jm Curley’s in downtown crossing is a good bar with a great burger. New Trillium Beer Garden just opened up on the Common - would check that out on a nice day.

2 Likes

You’re only a few blocks from Mike and Patty’s…that’s a must hit IMO.

2 Likes

Straight from the TPC Boston playbook

2 Likes

Mike and Pattys is great, but if you are willing to walk a touch further, hit up Sally’s Sandwiches inside the Blackbird Donuts on Tremont, personally have them in 6 games over Mike and Patty’s head to head

2 Likes

I lean Mike and Patty’s for breakfast sandwiches…Sally’s Sandwiches for lunch.

1 Like