Roll Call: Massachusetts

Out of town for golf or id be all over this

1 Like

Thanks. Place looks sweet.

Lived by Newton Comm when I was in Brighton 2012-2016. Lots of “FORES!” and BC bros who can’t play for shit. That being said… it’s short, it’s fun and the entire course is built into a hill. You will rarely have a flat lie and the greens are tricky (hole 6 is hilarious). Don’t expect great golf but it’s a fun spot to fuck around on with some buds. Albie who manages the place is super chill, doesn’t believe in frost delays, and won’t forget your name.

2 Likes

Last call for anyone interested in playing George Wright on Saturday at 12:30. I had my best putting day of the year on punched greens yesterday at Needham, so hoping to keep it going in Hyde Park.

Played Wannamoisett in RI today for the first time in about 10 years and got absolutely slaughtered. I hit the ball like crap, but even if I had hit it well, I don’t think I would’ve scored well, given the brutal greens and length of the place. My son, who is a 9-10 handicap, played well and shot 89. Putting there is a total crapshoot. Beautiful place, but cripes.

2 Likes

Missed this, I’d love to play.

You are in! PM sent.

Hey guys. Heading to Boston in October. Would love recs for best Italian spot in North End (that I can currently get a reservation for). Hopefully I don’t start any debates, thanks!

So ive been going to Panza for years and its the best bang for your buck. Freeform lasagna (black pepper lasagna) or the sundried tomato and spinach ravioli are go tos. TC gave it a shoutout after the US Open but you can usually get a reservation a day or two before (think they do like 7 days on open table)

Two people can have a great meal, bottle of wine and tip for under 70 bucks

3 Likes

Perhaps the best review of Newton Comm that I’ve ever read. I’ve played in the Monday night league for almost a decade. It’s perfect for a standing tee time with my buddies that is 10 minutes from home and my office.

Albie is the best, and the grounds crew does an awesome job, especially considering the quantity and quality of play.

Made it to Royal and Ancient Chappy Links today. Such a cool place. Those folks are rad.

6 Likes

It’s really hard to go wrong in the North End. Every place is a little different, and they are all pretty great.

La Familia Giorgio’s has been my go-to for nearly 20 years. Huge portions, great food, fantastic family ownership. (That said, I haven’t been there since before Covid times.)

We just had dinner at a couple weeks ago at Tresca, which is co-owned by Bruins legend Ray Bourque. It was amazing. We figured out that my buddy is distantly related to the chef, so he sent out a couple plates of the Italian Donut Holes. They were to die for. Unreal.

1 Like

Whatever you do - hit Bova’s for dessert. Florentine Cannoli. Thank me later.

3 Likes

Florentine Cannoli are the only good cannoli

Make sure its 2am too. Best times at Bovas are forgotten

1 Like

Does anyone know if Highland Links will allow you to bring your dog with you? I am going to be up there the week after labor day so hoping they will be a bit more relaxed about something like that.

1 Like

No idea, it’s on National Park Service land so it’s tough to tell. Might be worth a call to the pro shop.

2 Likes

If you have a small dog watch out for hawks and other large birds of prey at Highland Links. Have seen baby seal skeletons picked completely clean right next to the path on 6 tee that takes you to the cliffs. They snatch them out of the water by the beach and take them up to the cliff tops for dinner

2 Likes

My Father helps to run a charity golf tournament for the YMCA out of Essex County club. They also have an online auction for rounds at some great courses. Figured I should share this link here to see if there are any people interested. Happy to field any messages if anyone has any questions. Some of the ‘Buy Now’ options are pretty good deals. Link here

Whats the deal with buying raffle tickets online, any idea how they get distributed?