Roll Call: Maryland

Bringing this back again

5 Likes

Just a heads up that I have a few buddies who are members at Turf. They are redoing the courses with 1 shut down at a time for about the next year/18 months. It’s been hard to get tee times and even find a spot on the range some days because the membership numbers need both courses open.

JIC any of yall are interested

I played Compas Pointe-SW over the weekend. Overall the course was in decent condition for being early March.

Rum Pointe is definitely the better choice.

Anyone been to Blue Mash recently? Never played there, but wondering if it’s worth going in the next couple of weeks, if I can find a sunny day or two.

1 Like

I played there three times this fall, so recent may be up to your interpretation.

I like it. I don’t like the first hole, but after that it’s good. And it’s a pleasant walk. I think it’s one of the better layouts in Maryland, particularly if price is a factor. Usually in good condition. It’s wooded on most holes, but it’s not target golf. The back 9 is strong.

1 Like

I concur with KVV with the exception of I kind of liked the first hole. It’s a really good course and surprisingly good for walking as well. I think their $89 in February and early March are a bit looney but if the tee sheet is full at that price, then what do I know.

1 Like

Do they let you walk? All the tee times on their site say cart included.

I feel like it was slightly cheaper last year. But I could be wrong, I didn’t look at it too hard. I know they had GolfNow deals here and there but don’t see any this month.

Definitely allowed to walk. They may not give you a break on the price if you do, but I’ve played it probably 10+ times and walked every time.

1 Like

somewhat recently, a few of us played it the last weekend in January. Greens were mostly frozen still, so keeping that in mind, we still had a great time and thought the fairways/surrounds were in fine condition. Not sure after all this snow, but probably doing well enough after this week.

1 Like

TIL what target golf is.

Queenstown was finally dry and not cart path only today. Hate to see the rain in the forecast next week. Was firm and fast today.

3 Likes

I played Langston today. Man that course is could be a Winter Park situation with better conditioning and a slight rehab. I’m glad the NLT has the rights to do it, just hope it happens before I’m 50.

3 Likes

I’ve played a lot on that course and have always enjoyed it. It’s been a few years since I’ve been there though. Really want to see it when it’s redone.

1 Like

Langston is really special - great routing, some really fun holes, and packed with local history. Conditions are what they are for now, but with a little polish, it could really shine. For those who haven’t been, I’d be happy to show you around.

Trying to get a regular, casual Tuesday PM group going there - if anyone wants to be added to the weekly email distro for tee time sign ups, just let me know. Already have a couple folks from here subscribed through the local RACDG group - all are welcome!

1 Like

Can we sneak out at night with chainsaws and cut down some trees on No. 3? Trees that make it an uphill tunnel? That hole is so bad, but man, it could be an easy fix.

3 Likes

100% agree on the tree removal on 3. Would definitely help with pace of play as it always comes to a grinding halt there. Although the historic Joe Louis tree would probably need to stay. If the champ couldn’t knock it down, it deserves to go a few more rounds.

That said, I suppose the Eisenhower tree at Augusta was eventually felled, but Wikipedia tells me it was damaged in an ice storm first.

1 Like

Here’s what the shot tracker looks like for most recreational golfers on 3. I probably lost 3 dozen balls on that hole last year. Warm up the chainsaws!

4 Likes