Roll Call: Maryland

Days are getting longer and the forecast looks good with temperatures. Spring and full golf season are almost here if we can just get a good stretch without rain/snow/ice to dry things out!

3 Likes

This week’s forecast (excerpt for today) looks good. We definitely need a stretch of sunny and dry weather for the ground to dry out a bit. I played nine holes at my course on Saturday, and it was saturated. It was nice to get outside, but the turf cannot handle any more water at this point.

Had to drive over to Denton today so I decided to drive by the old Caroline Country Club. Caroline closed in early 2016 and when I drove past it a year and half ago it was completely overgrown. This was the course I played one of my first real junior tournaments and a course we played twice a year in high school, plus my dad was a member back in the 90s and was a club champ (2nd flight). Was happy to see the course not completely overgrown anymore and even thought the holes are millions of dollars away from being holes you can still see the shape of them, which gives me some hope that maybe something will be done with the property (doubtful but never say never)

3 Likes

I have the last week of March off from work and looking for some recommendations. I live in Howard County, so I am looking for some courses within an hour or hour and half drive.

Thanks

Any fellow Marylanders interested in a MD flag 3 wood headcover? Have an extra that I’m trying to sell. Shoot me a DM for price/pictures (Solid discount for a fellow refugee). Would post in Silk Road but figured not too many non-Marylanders would be interested.

SOLD

1 Like

Whiskey Creek
PB Dye
Musket Ridge

Any of those courses are solid

1 Like

There are a ton of options, for sure. It’s important to consider budget, difficulty, the style of course you enjoy, etc. To add to @LayingZero 's list (which is a great start) with my biased choices:

• Courses along the 70/270 corridor, that might be pricey, but are worth it (starting with the best IMO): Wiskey Creek, Worthington Manor, Musket Ridge, MD National, PB Dye, Waverly Woods

• MoCo owned courses and others in the MoCo/PG area that I enjoy: Little Bennet (tough), Northwest Park, Poolesville (some may disagree, but this place is a gem), Blue Mash, University of MD course

• Others and why they’re cool: Queenstown Harbor (great views of the Bay, good condition, 36 holes), Penn National (36 holes also, solid tracks), Quail Valley (super gem in the middle of nowhere), Black Rock and Beaver Creek near Hagerstown (nice WMD golf), and some of the Baltimore County and City munis are worth checking out (Greystone, Pine Ridge, Rocky Point, Woodlands/Diamond Ridge, Forest Park, Clifton Park, Mt. Pleasant)

4 Likes

Go far west to Lodestone.

Best course in maryland not in OC IMO.

1 Like

You’re not a fan of Bulle Rock, Greystone, Whiskey Creek? I’d put those three up against anything in OC. Rum pointe is their only equal at the beach.

Looking forward to going out to Lodestone sometime. I’ve not played it.

Thanks to everyone who responded, definitely gave me some good options.

1 Like

Lodestone is silly, put it on your todo list!

1 Like

Big fan of all 3. Really like whiskey

Just like Lodestone more.

2 Likes

Hears something about OC

Anyone know anything about Turf Valley? I’m considering joining and was curious on the vibe. I don’t know anyone over there. I’m familiar with the courses.

Lots of Priests. Drainage is an issue.

Do you live a little further out west? I’d look at cattail creek

Priests? I’m closer to Cattail but that would stretch my budget. It’s hard enough getting my wife on board, cattail Is 2x the cost.

Yea. The archdiocese of Baltimore has some deal with the property.

I have played there five or six times and every single time I’ve got paired up with a priest. Nothing bad, just freaks some people out.

There used to also be some yearly deal with hobbits Glenn you could join.

:joy:. I was wondering as well what Priests meant?

1 Like

Super, I’ll get my demons exorcised as I blow up the course!

2 Likes