Roll Call: Maryland

I agree that it is a fun course and the couple times I have played it the conditions have been solid. Can’t speak to its current state. The one big knock I have against it is that it is not walking friendly, which for me is very important.

1 Like

That’s good to know. I too am a devoted walking golfer, so I tend to avoid courses that are not walker friendly or conducive to walking.

Sorry to side track, but this brings up another conversation. When playing a course for the first time, how do you go about check whether or not it’s walker friendly? I am playing Worthington Mannor Monday and I called and asked the starter, but I am taking him for his opinion, but I am curious how others go about checking in on this.

I would say Worthington is not very walkable. Pretty hilly with some big gaps between holes

1 Like

I look it up on this site as a starting point. It’s not always that reliable, but then I’ll make a decision and ask again in the pro shop.

https://thewalkinggolfer.com/walkability_ratings_md.html

1 Like

That website is great! I agree with most of it’s “walkability reviews” but not all. Definitely a helpful resource though.

I have an extra spot for tomorrow (8/30) morning at 7:10am at East Potomac. Give me a shout if anyone wants to join.

You will be spent after walking Worthington Manor.

See, there is a prime example of calling the pro shop, the guy mentions its very walkable and then hearing from folks who have played there with very different stories.

I will say, I am hoping not to walk it, but I am a type one diabetic, so if I am unable to secure an individual cart, I’ll brave it.

I am not sure where to parachute in to this thread but I wanted to give my newb introduction. I live in Silver Spring near the Beltway/Colesville Rd/University Blvd, and according to some rando handicap calculator on the Internet, my last 8 or so full rounds going back to probably 2017-2018 have me playing at a 14.5. However! in my defense we are only just now emerging from the “having small children” fog (4 and 1 1/2) so my opportunities to play have been pretty limited. Years ago I did break 80 twice at RedGate (RIP) and would like to get back to something resembling that form while I am still able to push it around a little.
I’d love to have joined up for the 9/27 DMV tournament at Westfields but the county’s fall slowpitch softball season is (allegedly) starting up in a few weeks so I will regrettably have to sit this one out. But if anyone in the area is looking at their vintage mid-irons with some skepticism, you’re welcome to borrow my lone vintage club - a Cobra Baffler 7 wood (pics below).
What golf I have been able to play has mostly been as the dawn patrol at Sligo Creek, trying to keep my game on life support. I’d love to get out there some more this fall, and would be very very interested in trying to connect on a regular game somewhere.
I love what i’ve been reading so far on the boards, and am a little peeved that I have been so late in discovering the NLU community. I have followed @Soly on Twitter for some time but it wasn’t until seeing Strapped: Baltimore (shoutout @KVV ) and listening to several pods on a recent road trip that I got clued in. Better late than never I suppose!
Sorry for the semi-hijacking of your thread @RobertHunter, and thanks for organizing the DMV refuge event. Hope i can come play with you all some in the future

3 Likes

Sole view of the ol skool Baffler

5 Likes

Played worthington mannor this morning. Definitely not a super walkable course but it was a blast. Fun but challenging layout with a lot of risk/reward choices. Played solo behind a grumpy old couple that never let me squeeze through them but still played 18 in just over 3 hours. Will be back soon.

1 Like

Need 1 more for tomorrow (9/3) 10:24am at Compass Pointe.
North/East course.
Let me know if anyone wants to join!

Update: Some friends of mine played Lake Prez this morning and said it’s in horrendous shape. “A crime to charge $84 and I’m emailing the GM” is how one buddy put it.

2 Likes

I think it’s fair to say many courses in the area are probably in similar shape. I play all over MD and VA and have been shocked with how beat up tee boxes, greens and fairways have been. Have had many starters/marshals tell me that they just can’t catch a break as far as weather goes.

1 Like

I don’t understand how this seems to happen at Lake Prez all the time. I understand weather problems and from what I’ve seen elsewhere it’s been a tough season, but this happens there way too often.

1 Like

Yeah, good point. If I remember correctly, they have especially terrible conditions like 3-4 years ago. Like real bad.

1 Like

The Mid-Atlantic is the worst region in the country for turfgrass. We are too warm in the summer for cool-season grasses, and we are too cold in the winter for warm-season grasses. The heat, humidity, and torrential rains have been brutal for golf courses. My own course has actually taken the step of reseeding three fairways with a heat-resistant low-mow bluegrass to replace the ryegrass that is so susceptible to heat and humidity each July and August.

I really feel for golf course superintendents this time of year. They have a thankless job.

5 Likes

Was talking to someone this morning that said they’ve had more water from rain in the last ten days than they’ve used in irrigation since January 1. Couple that with extreme increase in usage from COVID and the general issues in this area and it’s a recipe for disaster.

1 Like

Baltimore native here, new to this board and started playing the game seriously this year after years of sparse play. Mostly play the classic 5 city courses (mt. pleasant, pine ridge, Clifton). Index is 9 and am always looking to play.

2 Likes