Roll Call: Maryland

We go from barely any rain in June and most of July to tons of it the past couple weeks. It’s crazy

3 Likes

Stick around for the 6-year blizzard cycle which is conveniently sandwiched between 75 degree January days

5 Likes

Lol. I lived my entire life in St. Louis before this, so I completely understand.

2 Likes

I’ve been lucky. Play usually Wednesday and Fridays at 10am. Maybee an hour of light rain every other round. Doesn’t bother me.

Played twice this week. Weather was beautiful. Humidity and heat finally broke a little. Had my best round ever yesterday. Not embarrassed to say still haven’t broken a 100, but so close. Glad I joined a club this year. 20 rounds year to date and counting.

3 Likes

Stayed at the Queenstown cottages this weekend. Highly recommend

5 Likes

Registration link for the NIT qualifying event in DC is up:

1 Like

Rumblings are Eisenhower won’t be opening until next spring according to my #sources.

They posted something on FB today saying the stream restoration is taking longer than expected and they still have to do the cart paths and then finish the sod along the cart paths.

1 Like

Has anyone played the renovated Naval Academy course this summer?

A buddy of mine has and said it was really great. I’m hoping to get out with a coworker soon whose neighbor is a member/active military.

2 Likes

I too have heard nothing but good things. Hoping to play it this fall.

2 Likes

Some pictures from the Naval Academy…it’s very cool. They didn’t cut any corners with the renovation and it shows. Tahoma 31 bermuda grass fairways have come in great and have responded very well to the heat/rain of August. Bent 007 greens are getting a little stressed with the heat and the tee sheet being absolutely packed every day

12 and 13 were the big changes layout-wise. 12 is beast of a par 3 and makes for a great picture with 13 tee and 14 green in the background. 13 is now very cool par 5. About 525 from the blues but to go for it you have to sling a cool right to left shot around the corner unless you thread a drive up the right along a hazard.

5 green, down 6

from 14 green, 12 green on left, 15 green in distance, 13 tee just below 14 green

17 green, 8 green, all the way across is 6

7 Likes

Our own course has 007 bent greens that, while generally heat resistant, have shown signs of stress from the heat and humidity. But overall, our greens seem to have fared well this summer. If only our fellow members were more diligent about repairing ball marks.

Our rye grass fairways, on the other hand, have taken an absolute beating this summer. The idea of a cold-resistant Bermuda grass for transition zone courses is intriguing. I would like to see our course go this route if it works out in the long run at Navy. @johnsomp

1 Like

Yeah will be interested to see how the fairways do over the winter and into the spring. They actually used some rye grass for short grass around the greens which was perfect until the opening in early August when we got all that rain followed by a bunch of days in the 90s. Now some of the rye is burnt out while other spots are doing fairly well. The below picture taken before the opening shows the transition from bermuda into rye grass around 11 green

1 Like

I would imagine other courses in the area are watching closely to see how the Bermuda comes out of the winter next spring. If this is successful, it could be a welcome change for courses here.

Definitely intriguing. The yards in my neighborhood with Bermuda grass struggle until July or August. Also wonder what the cost would be to transition fairways to a different grass. I think it’s really only a couple of fairways that are hit really hard. Compare 18 from last year to this year, and the only change was installation of additional drainage.

Interesting article on the potential for cold-resistant Bermuda grasses in the transition zone.

https://www.gcmonline.com/course/environment/news/transition-zone-turfgrass-golf

Has anyone played Lake Presidential in Upper Marlboro?

https://instagram.com/lakepresidentialgolfclub?igshid=19hhv1zitn8b8

I’ve played it about three times. A lot of it is really good. There are some holes with houses on them, but overall I like it. I’ve read it’s not in great shape the last month or so, but I’ve always enjoyed my rounds there. They have awesome drone flyovers of every hole on their website.

I’ve played it a decent number of times. If it’s in good shape it can be a lot of fun.