Roll Call: Maryland

Welcome! Tough scene on the munis this summer.

Hoping for drier weather, even the private spots I’ve played recently are soaked.

2 Likes

I basically only play Piney Branch in Upperco, it’s been a swamp for the last two weeks.

I’ve played winters run and hunt valley recently, both are usually in great shape, but crab grass has taken hold lately.

Drove by HV last week, looked horrible. But I’ve never been a fan.

Lol, was my home course growing up. It’s a tough walk, and the vibe has changed since they were bought by some big corp. (Arccos?) but I’ll always enjoy playing there for nostalgia sake. It’s usually in good shape minus the bunkers, but recently the weather has really hurt them. Cant really fault them for that though.

1 Like

I’ve only played as a guest and every time the course is in tough shape. I’ve heard they’ve need a new water system. I will say they have the best restaurant.

Also my opinion doesn’t matter. Even tough a play 1-2 times a week I am a very high handicapper. LOL

How’s piney branch these days? I remember the greens being super tough. And yes, HV always had great food, Wednesday pasta night back in the Day was legendary.

Anyone trekked out to Worthington manor lately? Supposed to play there tomorrow.

They aerated 8/31-9/3, longer than expected because of the rain. Played 9/4 and it was soaked. I didn’t play last week, but my buddy did and he said it’s still really wet. Those greens are challenging and thats why I love it. For a youngster like me, membership is a great value. Food has room for improvement though.

Haven’t been out to worthington this year. Played musket ridge earlier this year and that was looking decent, that was before the monsoons though.
Played Waverly last week and that was in decent shape minus 16 and 17 that had some bare spots around the greens. They had Aerated 3 weeks prior, so everything should get better. The $100 price tag to play through an apartment complex is a tough sell for me though.

I’ve been wanting to get out to Whiskey Creek. I need some backup courses besides the munis, it’s been hard to get tee times without early planning.

1 Like

Never played whiskey, played Bedford springs earlier this year and absolutely loved it. I’ve also heard good things about the course at Whitetail but haven’t made it there yet.

1 Like

bedford springs in PA? The old Tillinghast/Ross course?

That’s the one, was in great condition when I played in mid-July. Have family in Cumberland so Im hoping to get back up there soon.

Hell yeah, glad to hear it. My fiance and I are spending three days there after our wedding (immediate family only). Sneaking in a round before they aerate in October. Have heard so many good things about that course.

The routing is strange in one spot (Between 1 and 2) and you need to take a cart to the range. But the course is very walkable, and is a blast. It’s been renovated recently, but you can really see the Ross and Tilly design in their respective holes.

1 Like

Do you have to stay on the resort to play?

No, you can just walk up and pay the fee