Roll Call: Maine

Ya. I had a buddy go Tuesday I believe

Gilford nh…I’m traveling there in may. Was just curious

Usually the mesga.org site is really on top of announcing course opens. They aren’t so much right now…natanis has 21 holes open …and a range

Today’s executive order closing non essential businesses is somewhat ambiguous as to how it might apply to golf courses. Any word from Mainers out there?

New Hampshirite here but alum of St. Joe’s, former resident of Portland, and go golfing in ME every year a time or two. I’ve been talking w/ my buddy from SJC, who is a doctor in the Portland area, and he said “it would be a very difficult argument to say that a golf course is essential.”

We need to cut him some slack on his skewed view of golf’s essentialness but it is interesting to think of the line that divides what is legal to do and what is safe/responsible to do.

Yeah, parsing the language of the order it’s pretty clear they are not in the essential category. It’s more open to debate whether hosting golfers on the course with minimal pro shop interaction could qualify as non-essential operations that may continue. And private clubs may have a better argument on that score than public ones.

I take the point on legal vs. safe, though.

1 Like

Just got this text.

Dis you guys play in southern maine since her initial announcement? My course opened in orono and I played over the weekend. Haven’t heard anything after yesterday’s announcement.

I have played a few times. Most courses were open this week. The order is ambiguous as to golf, although the outdoor activities exemption is broad enough to cover it. I know nearly identical language in VA has been interpreted to allow golf subject to social distancing precautions. I assume MSGA will provide further guidance soon

Ya I know of states going both ways…some saying golf is ok…and some.e saying no golf. …like in mass…right…they arent allowed to play right now last I checked…I hope for my sanity we are allowed to get outside and play

Not great: https://www.maine.gov/governor/mills/sites/maine.gov.governor.mills/files/documents/Essential%20Business%20Operations%20Definitions.pdf

Ya…I got an email from my club…I am pretty devastated by the news…I barely make it through winter as is…not ideal

1 Like

Hearing word that with some other states (NY, MN, WI) loosening restrictions to allow golf with social distancing, Massachusetts may be next. Hopefully Maine gets there by the end of the month – if not sooner!

Unfortunately the entire virus has become a political issue rather than a public health issue, but with that said, it’s encouraging that all three of those states have governors that belong to the same party as Governor Mills. I know Brian Bickford has been working with the Governor as well as the other golf associations in the region to make sure there are consistent guidelines and that everyone is on the same page. I’d be surprised if we still can’t play May 1.

I went to husson university 2 days ago to putt on the putting green…2 Bangor PD showed up and asked me to leave. I brought sanitizing wipes and hand sanitize and cleaned each cup. As they approached 2 group of 2 and 3 were walking by… must have been 20+ people out there walking/ running/ biking…and all that was ok to do. I’m all for being smart and safe …but…at that point we just arent using common sense. Which you hate to see

Checking in from Brunswick. Latest on MSGA has procedures “Before April 30” and “After April 30”, so they’re assuming that we’re good to go in a few days. Fingers crossed.

It sounds like we will be good to go Friday. The Governor’s press conference today was a bit vague, but it sounds like an activity such as golf will be cleared. I heard that the owner of Boothbay flew in a bunch of his staff recently, which I’m guessing he wouldn’t do if he thought the restrictions on golf were going to continue. My course is operating under the assumption that we can play Friday, with the caveat that it could change at any time. Mills said today that she hopes to release her plan tomorrow. Hopefully that happens and we can get some clarity on the issue!

2 Likes

We’re good to go! Portland Press Herald article on Governor Mills’ reopening plan.

I’ve got my tee times for fri, sat, sun locked in…today would have been a glorious day out there

Welcome, by the way

1 Like