Roll Call: Maine

They have lost a bunch of members the last few years which doesnt help. They have promised lots of improvements, and some have been acted on…its going sort of slow. It really needs a decent investment… at the same time. It’s still prob the best option north of waterville.
Bangor area is great…I’m in hampden …I’d recommend being in a neighboring town rather then right in Bangor . It is a fantastic, centralized area in the state…and restaurants and nightlife is growing nicely…there is a great outdoor river front concert venue, that pulls in big concerts during the summer( before covid) . Being near Bangor puts you within an hour of bar harbor, 2 hours to Portland, on the doorstep to more northern maine. It’s pretty sweet location. More snow, harsher winters then Portland for sure though. Pretty much no golf November- april

New to the community but pretty familiar with the southern/central Maine landscape. Leaning toward the Nonesuch membership this year, I like the course/location/price. Anyone feel differently? Will be in the Biddeford/Portland area, would be open to paying a bit more for a more walkable course.

Does Nonesuch membership get you on their other courses?

@ohnolan you get sanford cc, fox ridge, and bridgton highlands for a cart fee. i’m sure you know this but they aren’t in cahoots with dunegrass anymore

Thats pretty good. I play Bridgton a lot and they have dumped a lot of money into the course but the greens fees are starting to show it.

I’ve never played Nonesuch so can’t really opine on that. Is Biddeford-Saco an option?

It’s a bummer about dunegress as I like that course and it is walkable. But Bridgton and fox ridge are good add on options.

We have a wait list at Biddeford-Saco right now so it would be two or three years until @ohnolan would be able to play. I think we have the best membership deal in the world so it’s worth the wait, but in the meantime Nonesuch is probably the best option when you consider the benefits you get at the other Hourihan owned courses. Dunegrass does have a decent deal if you’re under 30 years old. Riverside isn’t a bad choice either. You’ll be fighting the crowds at any of these places, but they all have plenty of people that you’d get to know and could play with.

I’m moving to Kennebunk next month. I played for UNE in Biddeford, and we only really practiced at Cape Arundel, with a few rounds every now and then at Dunegrass and Nonesuch (we mainly used both practice facilities). I’m looking forward to checking out more courses in the area this summer.

1 Like

Hey guys, might be visiting Acadia in late August/early September. Any locals with suggestions of where to look for golf, and who might want to coordinate a round or two?

Family and I are moving to Bangor in July/August. Spent a lot of time in the area, lots of great 9 holers.

Kebo Valley is a must for 18 holes of historic golf with great views of Acadia (of mountains, no water views unfortunately). Favorite 9 holer in the area is Causeway Club. Bonnie Blink and Grindstone are up the coast a few minutes, too – both are good little courses with some nice water views.

Over in Bangor, Penobscot Valley CC is a classic Donal Ross track.

Down to meet up for a round if we’ve settled by the time you’re there. Have fun.

1 Like

All great suggestions. Northeast Harbor is a must play as well, I actually prefer it over Kebo. True about all the 9 hole courses up there. Whether the course itself was cool, or someone in the pro shop was an absolute joy to meet, I always leave happy after playing courses in that area.

1 Like

Thanks @HardEight and @jquentin! Wife just let me know that the course duration is shortened to only 3 days, so we’ll probably be there for 4. I’ll have my dogs, so 9-holes should be perfect to get some quick golf while they stay “home”.

I’ll let y’all know when we have dates nailed down…

nice. i have a place in kennebunkport and am a member at webhannet in kennebunk. happy to bring you out this summer if interested. i love it up there

1 Like

Yea, in all these years, I’ve never played Northeast Harbor. Will correct that this summer/fall. I’m a sucker for the pureness vibes at Kebo, and the greens are quite interesting, but I’ll admit that maybe a 1/3 of the holes are pretty meh.

My favorite 9 hole course is over on Deer Isle, the Island Country Club.

I would love to, I really appreciate the offer. Have heard good things about Webhannet.

Any Maine NLU events/outings in the works for late summer or fall? Would love to partake.

I mean, we could try to get something going.

1 Like

We had a big group at Arundel end of summer last year once their rates dropped a bit. I’m sure something like that will happen again.

1 Like

this is the kind of conviction i was looking for

1 Like

What about planning a trip to Belgrade? Any interest?

2 Likes