Roll Call: L.A. County (Rustic Canyon and the Coachella Valley are not in L.A. County)

I’ve got two spots open for soule park at 820am on July 4th if anyone wants to join! Would prefer not get paired with some randoms :call_me_hand:t2: I also posted it on the broken tee society discord so it’s up for grab first come for who says they’re in first

1 Like

Wish I could, July 4 for me means home all day keeping my dog calm due to firework nonsense.

1 Like

Putting it out there–anyone played Angeles Nat’l lately? I haven’t been there in more than a year, and had some friends play there a few months ago and they were very negative on it, saying it was in garbage condition. Are they overly critical or has something happened to it in the last year? Thanks.

Coming from Chicago on Friday until Monday for the My Chemical Romance show at the Forum. Would appreciate any and all food/drink recs for Marina Del Rey. Thanks in advance!

I have a Marina del Rey address so hopefully you can trust my suggestions below. I’m also happy to give more advice via DM if you need more specific or different price range options.

HiHo Cheeseburger - as a non-Californian I’ve never subscribed to the In-N-Out hype and this burger and fries are far superior. (Backup Burger option: Hinano Cafe - kind of a dive bar but the burger is good and the beers are cold)

Playa Provisions - very good food and drink option down the road in Playa del Rey. Former Top Chef winner runs it.

Felix - the best pasta in Los Angeles, if you can get a reservation make the 5 minute drive up to Venice. (Backup Italian options: Scopa Italian Roots, The Tasting Kitchen)

Charcoal Venice - a solid option if you are looking for steak and a cocktail.

Sugarfish - high quality sushi spot, great for nigiri but not a place if you like “fancy” rolls.

J Nichols - reliable brunch spot (Backup breakfast option: Homestate Playa Vista - breakfast tacos with homemade flour tortillas)

2 Likes

These are very good recommends. Especially Playa Provisions, Sugarfish, Hiho (although I still like the Counter, but they may have closed the MDR location), Scopa.

(I’m Santa Monica, so I don’t have the same cred.)

1 Like

Has anyone had The Warehouse before? Right near our Airbnb in Marina Del Rey. Also, what is the terrace section around the Forum like? Looks like fun from pics I’ve seen on the MCR subreddit but would skip if it’s not worth it/too expensive.

cc: @RCH96

The Warehouse, Tony P’s, Killer Sushi/Shrimp are all bad. They are the old school places around the Marina that never change and probably only survive because of their views and tourists. I’ve spent plenty of time in the sports bar area of Tony P’s and it’s FINE, but the food is always a disappointment. If The Warehouse is near your AirBnB, then HiHO, KazuNori and UOVO are also within sight. Try one of those first.

I haven’t been to the Forum since pre-Covid so I don’t know much about the Terrace area.

1 Like

I’m staying in Playa Del Rey for the next month or so. The Rose in Venice has become a favourite. I ride my recumbent to Playa Provisions most every day. Just had a BLTA and it was amazing. I’m the fattest oldest dude in the place. Can’t miss me.

Open for golf anywhere anytime. Let me know.

Thanks for that. HiHo is super close to our Airbnb so we’ll definitely go there for dinner before the show.

Any West Hollywood recs? We’re also going to the bars and restaurants from the show Vanderpump Rules up that way (TomTom, Sur). My girlfriend loves the show so we added those stops in for Sunday.

Unfortunately no golf on this trip! My girlfriend and I both play but we don’t have the time in the schedule for a round.

I back up the playa provisions call.

Theres also stellabara which has good pizza on main street.

Another main street place i dig is a “dive” bar called Ricks on main. Solid pub fare and great back patio/deck.

If you like subterranean culture in a safe space go to Sam First Jazz club next to LAX.

1 Like

i havent played there in over a year as well. I always find the prices too high for what you get. Though the condition was never my complaint. If the condition has gone to shit, this is not a good look for charging 170+ for a round.

So here’s where I tell you a typical LA story about not leaving my bubble on the Westside…West Hollywood is a bit of an unknown for me. In my limited experience: Laurel Hardware is cool spot, Jon & Vinny’s on Fairfax is good Italian, Pizzana does great Neopolitan pizza, Bar Lubitsch used to be a place to have a cocktail.

I’m kind of embarrassed I haven’t suggested a taco or burrito spot. So if you are staying out late in West Hollywood, swing by Leo’s Tacos on your way back to the Marina. Eating al Pastor tacos from a truck in a gas station parking lot is an authentic experience.

1 Like

Holy Guacamole in Santa Monica has great tacos and burritos. Highly recommend.

In Hollywood, the taco stand near La Descarga (https://goo.gl/maps/87WEz6N1oMsmDEqt6) is fantastic and has some of the best cabeza and lengua tacos ive ever had.

1 Like

@alightpainter and/or his brother @adodgerfan could probably add you to a WhatsApp group chat for the LA/OC/Ventura/SD area if you are looking to find a game (cc: @Rob_Roth). There are some interesting characters in the group who are always looking to fill out a foursome.

1 Like

Hey so HiHo was great, thanks for that rec! Currently sitting at J Nichols for breakfast. Girlfriend and I are already thinking about lunch - do you know of any good tacos? Near the water preferred. Thanks in advance!

This is a 1/2 block from the beach. It’s an easy walk to grab some tacos and sit on the sand.

1 Like

If only I scrolled up one post for an answer :upside_down_face:

Thanks everyone who answered!