Roll Call: L.A. County (Rustic Canyon and the Coachella Valley are not in L.A. County)

Tough to take a bad picture out here. Just moved to Long Beach and bought a links card at Terranea. If anyone is interested in playing a fun par 3 course with amazing views let me know.

3 Likes

Make sure to get your resident card at the Rec Park clubhouse. $25/year and you get discounted rates on all of the LB courses. I play all of them, but have been going to Skylinks most often.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips! Iā€™m very used to 5 hour rounds here in Phoenix so not phased by that. Iā€™ll check out your other suggestions though as well. Havenā€™t finalized anything yet so not sure what part of the city Iā€™ll be near. Been to the ASU-UCLA games in Pasadena a handful of times but always seem to stay somewhere different every visit.

Not sure where Iā€™m staying yet but willing to travel just about anywhere within an hour or so, probably. Lots of things are up in the air for the trip at the moment other than the facf that Iā€™ll be in LA and at the football game. Iā€™ll check out the recommendations. Appreciate it!

As for shrinking the game, Iā€™m way in on Randyā€™s take as well. Spot on.

1 Like

I play a lot around LA and I think the best courses you can get on and play are Rustic, Moorpark Country Club, Olivas, Soule Park and Goose Creek. Goose Creek is fantastic and only an hour from Santa Monica. Moorpark has amazing greens and is always in excellent condition. Rustic is awesome and Olivas and Soule are gems. Angeles National can be really good as well but not my favorite, but it is the only Nicklaus course in LA

1 Like

Biggest county in the United States; glad the last course mentioned is in it.

I bring this up so often because (a) it stinks so much that Los Angeles public golf stinks so much, and also (b) some of these courses just ainā€™t good enough to be traveling so far, so regularly for. Goose Creek is only about an hour from Santa Monica? Itā€™s more than 60 miles. Even if youā€™re getting 30mpg, youā€™re spending more than $15 in gas and spending two hours+ of your time to play Goose Creek for five hours. Ugh, what a day.

5 Likes

If you can get to Rustic based on where youā€™re staying and everything else you have going on, itā€™s the definite choice.

Otherwise, maybe consider a round on your way in or out of the cityā€“courses in Palm Springs will have potential overseeding issues much like we have here in Phoenix, but there are some decent courses along the I-10 corridor that are worth checking out - Oak Quarry most of all, but Goose Creek isnā€™t bad, and though I havenā€™t played them I have been intrigued and wanting to try the courses at Tukwet Canyon and Oak Valley as well. All very convenient to the I-10 traveler, if not necessarily convenient once youā€™re in LA itself.

1 Like

Was considering looking at options outside of LA that would be convenient to get to on the way back home. Would likely take the 10 back but also have done the longer route through San Diego down the 5 and 8 to hit up a brewery or two down there. If I go that route then it brings a whole different slew of places in play.

1 Like

Re: Rancho Park, since the cancellation policy is 24 hours and Iā€™ve been having pretty good luck finding rounds during the week the morning before. There is a rush of old timers pre-9am that play slow AF (mostly all walking) but in the 9-11am range you can get a ~4hr round pretty easy. Can also show up and wait at range, usually only a few deep on waitlist and people no-show all the time.

Knollwood is an option I donā€™t hear that often, up in Granada Hills just off the 118/405 interchange. Itā€™s a county course but has some character (a lot more that the Encino/Balboa/Woodley trio).

Agree that the LBCC courses are pretty good, Skylinks, El D. then rec park in that order. Skylinks usually hardest to get on and has a lot of older locals that play slow so round times vary hugely.

2 Likes

Got a tee time at Rustic that Sunday. Thanks for everyoneā€™s input. Iā€™ll be back in the LA area plenty and will look to play some of the other suggestions when I return.

Hoping that we have two undefeated teams still by that Saturday too. Bruins look good so it should be a fun matchup.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got 2 spots in a 7:30 am tee time at rustic on Thursday. Let me know by Tuesday night otherwise Iā€™ll just cancel them. Hope to meet you golf degenerates soon.

Shit just saw this, would have been down for Rustic. Anyone played recently? Heard from a guy that conditions were a little rough a few weeks ago, probably just getting a lot of trafficā€¦

I played 10 Days ago and they just punched the greens. There were spots on the course that didnā€™t look great but the greens are awesome. The 2 spot might still be available online.

I have two open spots at Skylinks today at 330ā€¦yes itā€™s the final day of the Ryder Cupā€¦so what? DM mešŸ¤£

Iā€™m researching a trip to the US Open in 2023 at LA Country Club. Would like to be able to attend a couple of days of the tourney and also play a couple rounds of golf.

Iā€™m looking for recommendations about public courses (probably $200 or less) that we could play while we are out there that are somewhat reasonable as far as proximity to the tournament. I know everythingā€™s a drive in LA but would prefer not to spend the entire weekend in the car.

Hereā€™s the brainstorm as currently bouncing around in my head:

Wednesday arrival
Thursday - attend tourney
Friday - AM round of golf, watch rest of day
Saturday - attend tourney
Sunday - AM round of golf, watch final round
Monday departure

Any and all ideas would be appreciated. Iā€™m guessing this ends up being a 4 man trip.

Best bet for proximity would probably be Rancho Park, Wilson or Harding. Could also look at Brookside in Pasadena. If youā€™re willing to drive an hour or so then you could make it to Angeles National, Los Robles Greens, Rustic Canyon or Olivas Links.

Major issue you will have is getting a tee time. Most places release time 7-9 days in advance and they all get booked up pretty quickly. Only way I get tee times these days is by getting lucky with a cancellation.

1 Like

Proximity courses are the munis said above which are awesome but really hard to get tee times. I showed up to Rancho as a single at 6 AM and was 7th on the waitlist to get out.

Play Rustic Canyon and Angeles National or Moorpark CC. They are are really good courses and are all within a hourā€™s drive of LACC. They are always in excellent shape and you can find tee times or just show up super early of the day you want to play

Set an alarm. Log in to golf.lacity. Pick a single golfer tee time at rancho for next Friday. Site crashes. Next refresh nothing available in the morning. Iā€™m sure someone is using a bot. They arenā€™t enforcing this policy.

2 Likes

The days I get a tee time at Rancho that is anywhere reasonable are the same days I buy lottery tickets.

1 Like