Roll Call: L.A. County (Rustic Canyon and the Coachella Valley are not in L.A. County)

If proximity wins out, Westdrift in Manhattan Beach is really close and a chill 9 hole par 3 course. Nothing amazing but the greens seem to be better taken care of than the other muni’s around the south bay, and it won’t beat ya up.

1 Like

The Lakes in El Segundo is less than a mile south of LAAFB - it is a little nine holer. There is a TopGolf adjacent to the Lakes too. It may be worth a visit.

1 Like

If you can snag a time at Los Verdes, that’s probably your best bet (slow round, but ok course and great views on the back).

Otherwise go to Rancho Park or one of the Long Beach courses.

1 Like

Westchester will be relatively close to you. It’s a straightforward par 64 track. Like most LA munis it can get pretty busy (and slow) but if you go early Thursday you should be good. They also have lights on the course for night golf.

Unfortunately The Lakes is closed due to construction of said Top Golf. I think it’s supposed to open back up in 2022

1 Like

Just played Wilson this morning and the foursome ahead of us was 2+ holes behind from about the 9th hole on. Then I got confronted after the round and was told I’m the asshole for being in such a hurry and pushing up on them. Sick LA.

1 Like

Fun!

1 Like

First time, long time! Just recently moved to the westside of LA after 8 years in Chicago. Trying to get my bearings on the city and good tracks that wont be 1hr + drive. I have a 7mo old at home which leaves me limited windows to swing the sticks these days. Open to any & all recos as well as a game if someone needs a 4th. Cheers!

1 Like

Welcome to the west side. As a west side resident you’re pretty limited with under an hour as a guideline. The courses you’re limited to are all of the LA city courses plus knollwood and Westchester(executive). If you have time which with a 7 month old it seems like you wouldn’t getting out of LA county really adds more interesting options.

Welcome back; My advice is to join a group like the Penmar Social Club. Great group of people, really fun tournaments and regular skins games at Penmar and other tracks. As for courses within an hour; Rustic is still top. If you can get out at Rustic super early the pace of play is quick and from Venice it’s only a 40 min. drive. Played yesterday and we teed off at 6:10 and we were done by 9:30 and I was home by 10:30. MoorPark CC is right by Rustic and is in excellent shape with exceptional greens. Angeles National is always in good shape but the fairways are so tight it can be annoying. Tierra Rejada is always fun with a couple very good holes mixed in with a couple of poorly designed holes. It’s usually in pretty good shape and pace is pretty decent there. The Ike and the Babe at Industry Hills are good but the place is always packed and pace of play is not good. All the muni’s around LA are good courses and some like Penmar have really good greens. If you have the time (sounds like you might not) go to Soule Park in Ojai (1 hour 15 drive). Soule is an awesome track which has also been touched by Gil Hanse. Olivas Links is also worth checking out and about an hour away. Oak Quarry about the same distance but toward Palm Springs is fun and Goose Creek is fantastic. There is a lot of good golf if you plan accordingly. Hope to see you out there.

2 Likes

Amazing, thanks for the rundown and recos. If you see or run into a single with a boston accent (really comes out after a few beers) then there’s a good chance that’s me. But don’t worry, I’m not a Boston sports fan. Believe it or not, grew up cheering for NY teams (can blame that one on my Dad).

I was ready to accept you until that comment. Piggybacking on @tuNfloG above I think Soule is the best value in SoCal. Can be almost 2 hours back depending on traffic but worth a trip nonetheless. Within the confines of LA, and pressed for time, I’d recommend Rancho back-9 times (first hour or so of daylight) and Roosevelt (9 holes but wonderful). We have a WhatsApp group with a little over 50 guys from San Diego to LA and people are good about posting extra spots, let me know if you want to join.

All good. I grew up in the city but went to school in Boston. I live in RI in the summer but when I’m here in LA I head out to Rustic often.

Love it. I’m a BC guy and my parents retired to Jamestown so that’s now home for me when I head back east. @TacoBucket - yea would love to join that thread. Appreciate the offer

1 Like

I’m BU so the rivalry is already built in

1 Like

Pretty sure all the Sunday early afternoon rounds in the city next week just got snatched up seconds after opening… sick

T’s and P’s to all you out there playing public golf, tuff scene!

1 Like

Ended getting on at Westchester Sunday and Griffith Park (Wilson) yesterday. Absolutely delightful!

You sure you were at the right Westchester?

3 Likes

He won a high stakes money game and made it out of the parking lot alive

1 Like