Roll Call: KC Area

That’s obviously a long way out, but it’s currently open on my schedule. I should be in assuming I don’t have to travel for work around then.

“Sunflower Hills is better than Swope”… Sir, that is very offensive.

2 Likes

Not sure I linked the right thread as it splintered over time. Folks can have their preferences, but this was unbelievably exposing of the hive mind developed at places like Wolf Creek. I’m sure we come off that way to them as well.

I really don’t even know what to say in regards to that thread. Those are some pretty hot takes. I say we have a duel!

@BigJones - Count me in. I’ve never played Creekmoor. Would be fun.

I’m loosely tagged in that thread, as it started with rollback talk, but didn’t jump into the course discussion.

I know a few of those guys from acquaintances to pretty good friends and wouldn’t take them too seriously. Only one, I believe, is a Wolf Creek member. They aren’t architecture buffs. Frankly, I’m not either compared to many of you and have never understood the love for Swope, but I have no problems with personal preferences.

Personal preference is what it is. That isn’t what was so intriguing IMO.

Question, though. What do you prefer from a public side and what is it about Swope that doesn’t fit your eye?

1 Like

On the public side, Kansas City doesn’t have much to offer. I don’t hate Swope at all, I just don’t think it is great.

I played a lot of golf in Kansas City from 2013-2019. I moved from Overland Park to Omaha last summer. Next to my neighborhood is a great 27-hole public facility that hosts the Korn Ferry Tour event. It has a great practice facility and conditions rivaling KC’s best public or private. At its most expensive rate, it is $60 compared to $52 at Swope. Something like that in south Overland Park would print money.

1 Like

Gotcha. I’ve never paid more then $30 for Swope, so I guess I don’t feel like it is of poor value. $60 is just too much for me for a public daily course.

1 Like

That is the most expensive price point, weekend riding. I think I paid $33 for weekday walking this fall. By comparison, Swope’s rate for that is $30.

2 Likes

Gotcha - so Swope is just not really your cup of tea? Nothing necessarily to point to as for a why?

We have 2!

We have 3!

Assuming I’m in town the weekend this is going down, I’m definitely in for some ass kicking (the course kicking mine, specifically).

1 Like

I like Swope, it is okay; I just don’t think it is great. Nothing about it was particularly intriguing or memorable to me: layout, any particular shot or hole, conditions, etc.

Aside from the course itself, it wasn’t the easiest course to get to (roughly the same time to get to Falcon Lakes, Sycamore Ridge, Shoal Creek, etc.) and has unfortunate practice/warmup facilities.

I should be down as long as nothing comes up!

1 Like

Well at least we have a maybe 5. I will start talking with the golf shop and the pros and figure out the best price we can get everyone. I am getting cabin fever really bad!

1 Like

I have to agree with Q on this one, public golf as a whole is lacking in KC. I am always blown away when I go somewhere else and see what I can get for the same price as the golf here. I think Swope is cool because of the history and elevation changes, but I don’t get the same feeling that I get playing a really special course.

2 Likes

Did you live out south when you were in KC? Swope is the best public option for me given my location. Everything around me is private.

Retweet on practice/warm up facilities. Especially this year as they stripped the practice green… tough scene.

The conditions are suspect - wouldn’t fight that battle. It needs a good chunk of work to get up to what it could be. Under performing for sure. Half of my enjoyment there is envisioning what it could be. Likely an exercise not many would enjoy nearly as much.

However, I personally think it has the most intriguing shots I’ve seen in Kansas City. It’s demanding but kind. The elevation change can be dramatic and genuinely impacts how you play the hole - can’t be said for anything in OP area or south. The green complexes can really reject you and put you in some uncomfortable spots - I really like that challenge.

We have what we have at this point. Wishing for something to be drastically different or similar to other locations outside of Kansas City just isn’t an argument or mental space I’d like to venture in. I did what I could to add some interest to the Kansas City golf scene. I’m here to enjoy what we have because that is all we can do until a systematic change gets put in place.

1 Like