Roll Call: KC Area

In what was definitely the biggest news in KC in the last 24 hours, I just accepted a new job with Garmin and will be moving back to KC. Non-zero chance I’ll get to work on some of their golf stuff too as that’s included in the “Outdoor Products” group I’ll be working in. I’ll likely be living in south JOCO for commuting reasons, but will happily travel to meet up with other folks to play around town once it warms up a bit.

8 Likes

Heck ya. I know a few people in the marketing department. Have only heard great things about working there.

When will you be moving back? Do you think you’re going to join a club?

1 Like

I’ll be starting work next week, but likely staying with my folks for a couple weeks while sorting out my permanent living situation.

I’m planning to at least tour a couple clubs once it warms up. Which ones will depend on where I decide to live, but Canyon Farms and Shadow Glen look best from a work location perspective. I assume Shadow will be outside my price range, but no idea if they have an under 35 membership category.

I inquired out there when I was looking for a house. Ended up moving further south I’m off of 159th by Heritage, so I didn’t pursue Shadow anymore. Bu this was from their email at the end of 2018.

"Shadow Glen was constructed as a golf club in 1989 and the following year we were ranked the “Best new golf course in America” by Golf Digest. Our top priority is to provide our members and their guests the best golf course, practice amenities and overall golf membership experience in Kansas City. We offer first-rate dining, events and a beautiful 23,000 sq. ft. clubhouse for complimentary use by our members, their businesses and their families.

From the back tees, the course plays 7,051 yards, par 72. It is rated 74.6 with a slope rating of 136. It was designed by Jay Morrish, Tom Weiskopf and Tom Watson, who is still an active member.

We are currently at our capacity for Intermediate membership (age 34 and below) but will have availability on March 1st. The first 5 on our waitlist pay social dues and do have access to our golf amenities at ½ the guest rates. You would be the second on the wait list. Our initiation fee for Intermediate membership is 50% of our full initiation of $8,000, or $4,000+tax. This is due upfront.

You will only pay social dues while on the waitlist. These are $145/month. Monthly dues for Intermediate members are $448.75+tax. We do not require food & beverage minimums, locker fees, club storage fees, range fees or shoe shine/service fees. These amenities are included for all members and their families."

1 Like

Take a look at Creekmoor. Might be a little longer to work, hower it’s a great golf community and great course

I’m not sure what will become of Wolf Creek’s membership structure following its recent acquisition, but that would be my first pick if I was living near and working at Garmin.

That Shadow price is doable assuming it hasn’t gone up significantly in the last year. Even so, it’s still probably a little too high to justify, especially during the winter months. I didn’t know Wolf Creek was sold. That said, if it’s still all male, I’m probably out. Creekmoor is probably just outside what I’d want to drive for a post-work round which is a bummer since I’ve only heard good things about it. Milburn could also work as it’s also 20 minutes or so from Garmin and in the direction I’d want. Regardless, I’ll need to set up my GHIN handicap through BCN now instead of the annoying Indiana Golf system.

2 Likes

Greetings fellow Kansas Citians,

I’m writing with a question: If we were to try to get as many of us out to the course as possible, when is the best time for it? I’m going to include a poll and would appreciate some votes. I’m thinking we’d do a round and then grab drinks or bbq.

So, choose: WHICH MONTH WORKS BEST FOR A MEETUP?

• April
  • May
  • June
  • July

0 voters

Sooner the better haha but I’m good for whenever as of now. Let me know if any help logistically or any other way is needed. I was wondering how long it was going to take for some sort of KC-centric event would happen. Non-BCN category of course.

3 Likes

E. Don’t have a preference and would love to attend a meetup during any of those months.

Would maybe be fun towards the beginning of the season as a cool kickoff to the golfing year around here.

2 Likes

Seems like that is where many are leaning.

3 Likes

I think April would be great, before all of the Central Links (lol) tournaments and different member-guests and club championships start popping up.

1 Like

I’m game for anytime, really.

1 Like

Guise…

5 Likes

Wait what happened at Wolf Creek?

So uh u get some employee discount? Dibs.

Congrats!

Soooo how about that Sunflower Showdown last night? Love when both teams leave it all out on the court

2 Likes

I happened to turn this on with about 3 minutes left. Wildcats stink big time this year so I haven’t watched hardly any of their games.
Just a shining moment for all parties involved.

I saw a headline calling it the “Sunflower Throwdown”. Leader in the clubhouse so far.

Definitely a lot of things wrong with what happened. I don’t think either team should get off easier than the other. Yes, Silvio picked up a chair, but didn’t use it. Could he have not stood over him after the blocked shot? For sure. Could K-State have not cleared their bench first to retaliate? Absolutely. Not a great look for either team, IMO.

2 Likes

Yeah im a KSU alum but after Dean and Barry departed I knew I would lose a little bit of interest cause those are my guys. Team this year just hurts to watch. Despite not having much talent I still feel like we have really underachieved this year.

Honestly thought the fighting was quite comedic. Terrible look for everyone involved but its 19 year olds in the heat of a big rivalry making bad choices. worse things in the world have happened.

My big takeaway that I can’t stop thinking about is how terrible that KU practice is going to be today. That is a top 5 place of all time that I would not want to be at. Bill Self is gonna run the soles off their shoes.

2 Likes