Roll Call: KC Area

Hate that hole with a passion, probably my least favorite on the course if we are being honest - that or 11

Almost exactly similar to #10 at Swope

Green is way too big as it currently sits for me, especially given its slope, way too many 3 putts on that one for me, not to mention that I feel as if the camber/slope of the fairway is currently too penal

take it all away please!

1 Like

As the kids would say: “I got you, fam.”

12 Likes

Today we do hole 12. Also a favorite of mine for some reason.
From the 1916 KC Star Article:
"From the front tee 315 yards; from the ladies tee 281 yards. Bogey 4, par 1. A sliced dog leg. A deep ravine in front of the tee must be carried on the drive, which must reach the top of a hog back extending across the fairway or the second shot will be blind. The ball must be pitched onto the putting green, which is 160 feet deep, to permit the ball to run. The green is guarded on the back by sand traps and long grass. A deep sand trap fronts the entire front of the green. This green is also guarded on both sides by trees. This hole and the fourteenth are very fine examples of holes designated as “drive and pitch.”
From the 1922 Western Open description
“Par 4. Distance 306 yards - A drive and a pitch. In front of the tee is a deep draw. Sand pits to the left and trees to the right of course, with a sand pit also across in front of the green. One of the best holes in America.”
Davis Redesign.
Looks like what he calls out as a new bunker on the left of the fairway is actually the restoration of an older bunker that was put in between 1916 and 1922 and stayed there until around the 60s.

Cant wait for @VinnyG to work his magic and show us how much wider this fairway should be like he did with number 6.

6 Likes

One thing that was interesting looking at the historical google earth pics: sometime between 2020 and 2021 they removed that large beginning portion of the right fairway. It was wider like in the plans before 2021.

2 Likes

If this doesn’t give you goosebumps, what will?

One of the best holes in America? Here? In Kansas City? On a course that was left for dead by GreatLife? Oh how I hope these new owners achieve their dream…and hope I achieve my dream of playing it once open.

2 Likes

Skins Game sign up is open!

5 Likes

Hey there, putting this request out there. My partner in a men’s league at Royal Meadows (Tuesdays @ 530pm) took a job at Garmin that prevents him from playing after July 8th. Is anyone interested in being my league partner after July 8th? League runs through mid-October.

1 Like

Before I post another hole redesign, drove past Hillcrest yesterday after hitting balls and they are currently going to town on taking out trees on the course. From the street, I only saw 4 trees remaining on 17. The 3 behind the green and 1 just to the left of the green and those were all significantly trimmed up. As of right now, the new owners have taken out 800 trees on the property and estimate they have another 1400 left.
For this weeks hole, I went with number 8. Originally 8 was a par 5 and was changed to a par 4 in the 70s when Hillcrest attempted to establish a sod farm where the original tee box was located. Over the years the hole lost most of it bunkering.
1916 Star Article:
“From rear tee, 480 yards; from front tee 447 yards, bogey 5, par 5. The drive must carry a sand trap 120 yards in front of the rear tee and avoid the trees to the left of the green and a trap 185 yards from the tee on the right. It must also avoid a deep trap with cop bunker on the left, a similar trap being placed up the course to catch a hooked second. A deep sand trap extends half way across the course from the left, 325 yards from the tee. The putting green, which is 140 feet square, is guarded at the back by sand traps on the right and by sand traps and mounds on the left. A sliced second may catch a sand trap to the right of the course 20 yards short of the green.”
Pre 1922 Western Star article that described changes to some of the holes
“Hole 8 Traps in front and to the right of the green”
1922 Western
“Par 5. Distance 488 yards - One good drive and a good brassie to reach the green. If the wind is against you, it also will require a pitch shot. In front of the tee is a long, wide sand pit, while on the right 250 yards is another sand pit on the side of the course, running diagonally into the course thirty yards. About 350 yards further on is another sand pit in the center of the course. Near the northeast corner of the green is another sand pit and a bunker with splashed face. To the left of the green is another sand pit.”
Looks like the Tripp remodel would have turned it back into a Par 5, restored all of the bunkers besides the first cross bunker and the second bunker on the left that would catch a hooked second shot, and expanded the green area to include tight run off areas around the green. Like most of Tripp proposed redesigns, his plan for hole is significantly better than what is currently on the course.

9 Likes

Makes sense, the area behind 3, 4, 8 always seemed wasted.

Blinking GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

6 Likes

@VinnyG My exact reaction as well. From the owner that was talking about it, basically the only trees that they plan on keeping are “aiming and framing” trees.

P.S. forgot to ask for a google maps overlay in my original post, but if you could work your magic that would be awesome.

1 Like

Makes sense considering they own all this land now too. Lots of forest to knock down out there.

4 Likes

This one was a bit more difficult with the conversion from a 4 to a 5 and all:

4 Likes

Is it even realistic to think there’s a breath of a chance that membership will be affordable?

5 Likes

It might be cheap at first, but I am guessing do to the location it will fill up quickly if they do what they are set out to do. Just think about it, Swope but private. I can say in the early 2000’s the course was awesome and so fun to play and in awesome shape. I hope it comes back and comes back better.

3 Likes

Your lips to God’s ears, but based on numbers I have heard thrown about (both in terms of investment and potential initiation fee) I don’t think there is a high likelihood of it being affordable.
Also strong agree with @bigjones. Grew up playing at Hillcrest moderately frequently in the late 90s early 2000s and the place was amazing. Last year I played Hillcrest with a guy that was an ex-caddy and then subsequent member later on in life and the condition of the course, club house, and surrounds made him downright depressed because he remembered the conditions in the 60s through the 90s.

4 Likes

Seems like the best we could hope for is a few central links events being held there. And even then, I get the feeling it will be like all the Central Links KCCC events where there is a waitlist 2 minutes after signups open…

3 Likes

Hey guys I am in town(Independence) from OKC for work and just found out I have a little more free time this afternoon than I thought so I booked a 3:56 tee time at a Drumm Farm if anyone is interested in joining on this beautiful day hit me up.

bmac, do you have this with the entire boundary? We were just discussing the areas they have extra land to work with.

1 Like

Yeah I can pull together a full site tomorrow, but basically aside from what I highlighted all the other lots surrounding the golf course proper is owned by the city or county. All the forested land basically. One private owner to the south near the maintenance shed.

1 Like