Roll Call: KC Area

Registered for Brookridge and Match Play so far…I’d like to have a positive outlook on things and sign up for Falcon in April as well as a pseudo practice round.

but I’ve got a lot of progress to make over the next month to be “ready.”

3 Likes

For anyone needing or wanting a caddie, I’d be happy to loop for you.

3 Likes

So I’ll officially be coming down Sunday afternoon. Anyone playing anywhere and have an open spot?

2 Likes

1st time at Swope. Really enjoyed it. May have not jokingly had to dodge 15 fore calls but was a fun start to the year.

15 Likes

The people are asking: how did you attack holes 3, 5, 9, and 10? And did 13 come out of nowhere to crack you on the head with a sledgehammer?

1 Like

Yes. It was an attack day. It was a bit windy and tees were not out so I just played where the regulars played since it was my “1st” round of year. So probably the 1 ups. In hindsight wish I played back tee boxes.

3-Downwind hybrid over green, missed 4 ft birdie putt.

5-Wind was in and from right. Driver 8 iron pin high left. Tough chip, par.

9- Downwind driver, 8 iron almost in parking lot. Insanely lucky bump and run under trees through rough to 2 inches, birdie.

10-Guess this was not quite a full attack. Driving iron to flat lie short of 150 marker. 8 iron to green, 2 putt par. (Fwiw, If played again I’d probably do the same.)

13-Was big downwind. Hit, jesus another 8 iron from 188 to back edge, 3 putt bogey.

Want another crack at it with mid season conditioning. Couldn’t really enjoy/gauge the greens. They were pretty bumpy and wet.

Also for how hilly it looks it wasnt a bad walk either.

5 Likes

It ain’t Veenker on yer second 18 of 36.

2 Likes

Looks like you played the wrong set of tees :slight_smile:

13 from 240 is a real white knuckle situation. Hopefully we can get you back down here in the summer when the greens are better, conditions were definitely not great yesterday.

4 Likes

Not to mention thats 240 INTO THE GD WIND half the time.

Look, I’m not against hard holes, but that one just seems borderline unfair at times.

2 Likes

The shot I’m most proud of from 2022 was a full bore 3 wood into the wind on 13 on my last hole of the match play qualifying knowing I (likely) needed par or better to get into the field. Absolutely mashed one to like 20 feet (and then proceeded to get nuked out of the playoff after hitting it pin high left to the short pin on 6).

3 Likes

Especially with no bail short really.

1 Like

You sir, have not yet begun to see me bail short on that hole :rofl:

1 Like

The other guys in my group may not have gotten the ball halfway to the green. :sweat_smile:

Those of you that have played in the SLAT/FWA tour in the past, what’s the experience been like? Is it something worth doing? I signed up for the KS Mid-Am series and got waitlisted for all the good courses because I didn’t get signed up until 5 min after it opened (rookie mistake).

Do SLAT events fill up like that? Are they fun? I guess what I’m asking, is it worth sinking $500+ into playing these events?

I’d say they’re on a smaller scale than the Mid-Am series. I can’t exactly say why, but I’ve played in probably 5 or so of each and that’s just the sense I get. Maybe because Mid-Am’s are shotgun starts so you see everybody all at once, where SLAT is traditional tee-times. Maybe because the Mid-Am series goes all over the states and hits fewer, but typically better courses.

but yeah, I plan on doing some of both this year if all goes well. I didn’t play in any last year, but in 2021 I qualified for the SLAT championship and unfortunately couldn’t play so I’m not sure what that event is like.

Like pretty much all of tournament golf…if you’ve got decent control of your ball on that day it’s fun. But if you don’t then it’s another story.

2 Likes

I played in most SLAT events last year, including the championship, and thought it was pretty enjoyable. Todd does a very good job running the tournament and my only gripe is pace of play. At some courses it was like torture trying to finish before 5.5 hours, but I saw some new rules they might be enforcing this year so that’s promising. I found most of the guys to be really nice, but it’s definitely a more serious feel when you’re out there playing. I felt like the value you received for the cost of each event was worth it. And qualifying for the championship isn’t very difficult to be honest. If you play most of the events you’ll likely get in.

I believe every SLAT event had a waitlist last year, and with the exception of the private clubs, you could sign up a month or so out from game time and get a spot. Private clubs (Staley, Lionsgate, Canyon Farms, etc.) filled up real quick, so sign up for those first.

1 Like

shrink the game.

3 Likes

I recently acquired some old blades and need to have loft/lies checked- is this something I should just take to golf galaxy? Or is there a local outfit I should drop by?

GolfMD

3 Likes

I figured they might be overkill but I guess it can’t hurt to drop in