Roll Call: KC Area

I don’t know. I’ve been there once many years ago and don’t remember what it was.

Stone Canyon is Bent Grass fairways.

2 Likes

Yeah. Any time around noon I suspect would be good. We can do dewsweeper too. Up to you guys. I’m in the minority here.

They are telling me 10 - more daylight, not too early. We are booked! Also - tee times still available for 10:10 and 10:20!!!

1 Like

WinterStone I think has bent fairways.

I thought they might be bent grass too but I couldn’t remember, and didn’t see anything on their website or internet saying they were or weren’t bent.

If they are bent, that Independence/Blue Springs area has a lot of bent grass courses…

receiving some very official unofficial communications, but we’re in. haven’t heard anything about geographic boundaries yet, but all indications are that we should plan to be regionally focused beyond just KC.

Here’s the new dedicated Roost thread as requested.
:rotating_light: FINAL NAME & LOGO DECISIONS HAPPENING NOW :rotating_light:
https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/great-plains-golf-club-kansas-city-based-roost-incl-ne-ia/64558/2

7 Likes

Heard a report of tennis ball sized hail and 70+ mph winds in JoCo. Y’all be safe tonight.

3 Likes
3 Likes

We called the fire department thinking the smoke and smell only to discover it’s related to fires in Russell County.

there’s a lot of fires throughout the state from dry conditions, wind, and lightning. fairly pronounced smoke smell and fires in Leawood and western KC also that I know of.

There was a grass fire reported near Legends in KCK: https://twitter.com/lindsayshively/status/1471273921987194892?s=21

We felt the affects of the wild fire in Kansas all the way in Des Moines last night. Lots of reports of folks calling the authorities for smells of smoke… turns out it was from Kansas

1 Like

May be below freezing on Sunday at 10am but I’m up for playing Mules Natl with @Howitzer and his buddies… there were a couple tee times directly after that. Anyone else wanna come out and join us?!

It’s going to be a 3 layer and hand warmer kind of day I think!

1 Like

Interesting rumor I heard yesterday that’s relevant to those in this thread. I met an old golf buddy for drinks after work yesterday who invited Ron Whitten (retired Golf Digest Architecture Editor) to join us. Ron’s got a small architecture firm he started since retiring from the magazine and mentioned a few things he’s working on. One of them is a proposal for a Swope restoration. It sounded like it’d be 90% focused on restoring the greens to their original Tillinghast-era size/shape. The remaining 10% would be standardizing the bunker look/feel across the course and cleaning up some of the more overgrown trees. No idea how “real” this project might be, but it’d be great if something like that could happen.

9 Likes

A proposal he created, or a proposal the city asked him to create?

It sounded more like the second. It definitely wasn’t drawn up out of the blue. Unsure if the request came from the KC Parks Department or whatever Management Company is actually running things day-to-day.

1 Like

Might tag Ben @sundaybag because he has spoken to the architect they have ‘on retainer’ or whatever…

I’m gonna be walking with my pushcart to stay warm. Riding in a cart is an invitation to freeze to death.

1 Like