Roll Call: KC Area

(Hops onto refuge/Roll Call: KC after 3 month hiatus)

Oh hey guise. Remember that meet up out at the Fred Arbanas par 3 course we were planning in the fall? Well, @ReInstatedAm is coming into town this weekend to check it out (and I guess to also meet his nephew), so we’ll be out there at 1:30p on Saturday (3/20). Join us if you can! Reminder, no tee times needed; it’s just a get in line kinda deal. We’re probably good for a couple loops.

4 Likes

i might could do the 330 second loop if that’s not frowned upon.

conditions in central KS are…pretty good.

7 Likes

Not frowned upon at all. If it’s not busy, loops will take around 1:15-1:30, so that might be good if people can stick around past the 2nd loop. Ben and I will probably have to duck out after two rounds.

well then drag ass a bit to be sure i can make it

This seems to be the kind of thread I’m looking for on the internet. I’m mad it’s taken me this long to get here. Love seeing guys talk about the SLAT. Hope to see some of ya during that.

Anyone in the johnson county area know of good public/private course deals going on? I’m struggling more than usual to figure out where to play my golf this year.

what a PGA Tour debut for Roo legend Antoine Rozner, takes down Bryson 2 Up

3 Likes

Sup Kansas folk! If any of you have any interest in a possible Nebraska Kansas matchplay event, go ahead and check this out.

1 Like

There’s been some scuttlebutt about this, but signup if you’re interested in the KC v. STL event.

1 Like

a couple happenings in the KC golf scene.

• got an email from KGA, and SLAT at Milburn is full. They’re looking for people to walk so they can take more entries, but won’t refund you a cart fee. Uh, no thanks. I’m registered, but still need to find somebody to watch the kids that day, so maybe I’ll ask for a preferred tee time instead.

• Blue Hills has added SIXTY-TWO members since Jan 1. That’s nuts, and makes total sense why the buy in went up by $5k. I’m sure that number is a positive spin on the actual net/net member count since 3/1 last year, and anybody we lost with the modest assessment for the course renovations. It’s a good sign and a pretty big infusion of cash regardless.

• The new superintendent at Blue Hills is doing a great job so far, and there were a handful more strategic tree removals over the winter. Not that I’m the ultimate judge, but I’ve had a couple green committee meetings with him now, and I feel pretty good about the way he approaches things, and that we will be able to create much better conditions for golf.

• About this time last year the KF event was canceled, I see no reason it won’t happen this year. I started a new job this week, so my hopes of caddying for the event have all but vanished, but I’m still looking forward to attending.

This next week looks like fake spring is over, and real spring is here.

2 Likes

I’m officially signed up for the SLAT at Milburn (my game was in shambles when signups opened so I waited and so could only register as a walker but still excited to play) and the KC Match Play at Swope. Not sure how the rest of the schedule is going to shape up but would like to add a few more MidAm Series/SLAT events as the year goes on.

It’s touching 80 next week! I could do without the 35+ gusts though… Park U held a tournament at the Deuce last Monday/Tuesday and those kids did not look like they were having a good time.

2 Likes

update.

Euston hardware will rent you an aerator for $140/day, with a $20 delivery charge. Got one coming tomorrow.

1 Like

I will be very annoyed if it’s cancelled this year because I am slated to caddie this year after having been slated to caddie last year before it was cancelled.

2 Likes

Just got tee times for Milburn on Monday! I got a very comfy noon tee time with a 4 and a 10 handicap.

2 Likes

Nice, I’m right in front of you at 11:50. I believe you are playing with another refugee (or at least refuge-adjacent fellow) as well - I played BCN with Jared last year, excellent dude. Excited to get the juices flowing (and to play Milburn, haven’t played it before). Weather forecast looks great.

Have not played Milburn either, I’m so excited. Hoping to use the tree-lined fairways as bumpers, since I have been hitting a lot of gutter-balls with my driver so far this year. Can’t wait!

1 Like

It’s not super tight outside of a couple holes on the back. It’s pretty hard to lose a ball there too which is nice.

1 Like

Only one I remember being real tight is like 11 or 12 or something there along the road? Dogleg right with a bunker on the inside if I remember correctly? It’s been like 8 years and I’ve only been there once.

11 is the par 4 that runs along the road. 17’s second shot gets tight, but it’s also a par 5, so you can hit a mid iron to a wider spot vs. going for the green and ending up in the trees. There’s also a couple shorter 4s that get tight in 3w/driver landing areas, but are 5 iron/wedge holes if you want to hit to wider spots.

1 Like

now that I think about it, isn’t 1 and 2 OB on both sides (road and range)? I don’t remember how much space there is before you get OB, but they run along the edges of the property I think?