Roll Call: KC Area

It is in a neighborhood and in a wooded area, but trees don’t really block any ideal lines and it’s not super tight. You can score if you’re playing well, and the greens are almost always pristine.

I think it’s a really good representation of good KC style golf. Shoal Creek for instance goes through woods and it seems like trees are everywhere during that stretch. Most of the courses mentioned on here are wooded courses with the exception of St. Andrews and Creekmore?

Shadow has some really good holes imo. A couple of drivable par 4s, a good mix of par 3s, and it’s always in good shape. I’m sure others have their own opinions, but it’s my favorite to play when I’m back in town. But, I’ve also probably played it more than the other private tracks.

1 Like

I guess I’ll have to find someone to take me out there and play it again now that I understand golf courses a little bit more now.

So if anyone is a member and is willing to hook a guy up, you know where to find me.

I am down for this.

1 Like

Hey @anon82308049, I’m in the KC area, Roeland Park.

I also sit four desks away from you at work. Let me know if you want to get out sometime.

I’m on The Club Card, usually out at Dub’s Dread, Winterstone or Prairie Dunes.

2 Likes

Can confirm, played a few times in Hutch where you have to stop because the balls get blown off the greens.

It’s a different ballgame.

https://media.giphy.com/media/C8uzdnRrT8OsF8OCYH/giphy.gif

2 Likes

It’s true. @jkannard and I are work neighbs.

Love the sly Prairie Dunes drop. Didn’t know that one was on The Club Card.

3 Likes

Lol…prairie highlands?

Don’t think it is part of that card, @Rocco. Pretty sure he has a relative who is a member at Prairie Dunes in Hutch.

Strapped: Kansas City

@Randy, @djpie

After BCN opens. They come down, Swope (a Tillinghast), Hillcrest (‘All Inclusive Golf Facility’), Dub’s Dread (Ben Hogan & Jug McSpaden history). Parlay that into a visit out to Prairie Dunes (Maxwell).

Eat KC barbeque. Let’s make this happen.

3 Likes

Really need to give Swope another try. Was a top 10 worst golf experience for me last and only time I went. Everyone in here seems to be beating the drum for it.

I’ve played Shadow Glen maybe 5-6 times? Once was an inter-club match, once was a family member invite, and the others were prep and comp for HS golf one year.

It’s a challenging course, no doubt. I would love to play it again and see how much bail out there really was. There really isn’t a hole without a direct question and challenge to answer. If it isn’t a forced water carry, it’s a large elevation change or visual deception. The course hits you fast with a lot of varying holes, and doesn’t really let up. I love the stretch on the back nine that includes the drive-able par 4 (14?)…and the setting of 18 by the clubhouse patio is really cool.

1 Like

Also note that Hillcrest is the only Donald Ross course in Missouri.

2 Likes

It’s not a fantastic experience, but for me the course just had such a cool layout. #10 is one of my favorite holes I’ve played in KC.

But the clubhouse and course condition is pretty sad. I can’t figure out what the deal is with the bunkers out there, specifically on 5 and 9. They’re so lifeless!

1 Like

Haven’t heard the Hogan & Jug McSpaden history at Dub’s Dread. I’ll have to look that up… and also look up who Jug McSpaden is.

Jug McSpaden is an all-time name

2 Likes

Admittedly, the one time I played, I was far from #woke on GCA. Can’t think of a single hole besides the first. Started the round out with the starter (who was wearing a Canadian tuxedo) yelling at us to hit when other golfers were absolutely in range. My buddy hit anyways and flew the players ahead who promptly yelled back at us. At the turn we went to the pro shop and they told us this starter was known for these type of antics.

Basically the round started so bad and we were so jammed up that I never got into the mental space to enjoy the round. Will try again soon.

So it looks like a Refuge KC meet up at Swope is happening in the near future.

3 Likes

I agree with elevation change and visual deception, but there really isn’t much water on the course. 9 is a wedge or short iron partially over water and there’s a creek on 13. I enjoy the way they incorporate the rock formations and cliffs on the par 3s though. 250 downhill on 12 is a wild tee shot, but the green is massive.