Roll Call: KC Area

Heard that. Even playing at Firekeeper all the time, we always had a breeze.

100% - completely have to change expectations.

I was playing very well at my home course in the Spring my senior year of high school. 18th hole was right into the fan par 5. Had 130 left. Smoked a 7 iron. Got up in the air and caught a gust. Ended up flying 90 yards and got blown into the creek that wasn’t even in sight! Took a triple on the hole and blew a top 10.

I’ve come to enjoy the wind now more because KC folks aren’t quite as familiar with it. Some just can’t get in the head space that a 3-4 club wind is actually possible! Competitive advantage when it does blow.

3 Likes

Exactly.

I think the best round of my life was a 78 out in gothenburg. It was blowing 40mph, rain, and probably 45 degrees. Greens were still rolling 11 or 12 out there. In good conditions it was probably a 66. Had so much fun, really enjoyed the hot shower immediately following the round. lol

1 Like

That’s where my state championship was senior year, and with similar conditions. I shot 91 and promptly went on a golf hiatus for about all of college.

2 Likes

I still can’t believe how different the weather is between here and Wichita. I was hesitant to move to KC thinking it would be similar. Seriously!

We may very well be talking about the same round of golf…

2007 5A? If so, I’m so sorry. How have you dealt with the post-traumatic stress of that round? I personally have stricken the color auburn from my wardrobe.

1 Like

Sure enough, 2007 5A state tourney. Was so defeated after that day. Shot 94 and went home never wanting to return to that golf course.

@Christian @Rocco played it too, but for 6A. Shot 95, felt like shit, then saw Olathe South win and wondered how I would EVER play that good in conditions…

1 Like

Wait I think ours was a different course but same May time frame in Wichita…

I think 6A was at Reflection Ridge in 2007.

yeah your right i just realized that

Got out on the course today at Shoal. Played pretty awfully. Anyone else hit the course?

Played BCN, no big deal.

3 Likes

That round had to have such a negative effect on so many high school golfers, right? Also, and this may have been my thin-skinned thoughts, but weren’t some of the pins in pretty nasty spots? I felt like I was putting to sloped cups all day. Or maybe the wind had me leaning.

I honestly don’t remember much of the round and where the pins were. The only thing I remember was a kid I was playing with tried to penalize me for using the back of my putter to tap my ball in from an inch. He said something like “I think that’s a penalty because you used the back of your club, meaning you have a 15th club in your bag.” We all looked at him like he was crazy and proceeded with our round. Wonder what the kid is up to these days.

3 Likes

Probably working at the USGA.

3 Likes

Oh, I LOVE this!!

I played in a junior match play ‘tour’, I must have been in like 7th grade. But I playing this kid a year older than me. He had 15 clubs in his bag and I saw it the moment we teed off but for some reason just didnt say aynthing. I think I had him dormie on like the 16th hole and he was starting to shit talk on how he was going to halve the match. Good thing I had some leverage and said it was impossible because I knew I’d win the 18th hole. He asked how and I just said “Count your clubs.”

3 Likes

If you like spicy sauce, please throw away any gates or Arthur Bryant’s sauce. Buy a case of “night of the living sauce” by cowtown. I live in Austin, TX now and I will not concede any BBQ takes to them publicly (they do brisket very well). However, most of their sauces are trash.

Golf stuff - Play Shadow Glen if you ever have a chance. My favorite private course in KC metro. Loch Loyd is always in great shape and pretty fun. Stone Canyon is criminally underrated on the public side.

1 Like

Is Shadow Glen that good? I’ve only played it once and that was when I was like 12 or 13 so I don’t remember anything about it. I just know that it weaves in through a bunch of trees and is amongst a housing development.