Roll Call: KC Area

the show me showdown with saint louis was at Tanglewood, east of Columbia. really enjoyed the course, enjoyed beating @anon43372372 and @Jrembold even more, but I think they’d agree it was an enjoyable course and venue for such a ‘small’ event…

perhaps that venue can stage it again?

I was a fan – and still am – of Eagle Knoll just south of columbia, it’s literally about a 20-30 minute drive down from I-70. I’d wish for a regional tournament there, largely because ive played it a few times.

anyway, shoal, dubs, sycridge and Mules make a really strong rotation… swope HAS to be our roost’s championship site. just gotta be.

$0.02

3 Likes

So if you are playing to win the highway and not the state you’ll have people show up…… interesting :smirk:

4 Likes

If you want the best centralized course in the state you would be very hard pressed to beat Kinderhook. Its not the Branson courses, but man is it nice.

i’d think it well-advised we stay away from resorts for this type deal. and while it may be NICE, how well do they host tournaments of this size? how easy is it for everyone to get there, and stay if need be?

I’ve played kinderhook, and cant imagine it being navigable for anyone but people in springfield, same for the big cedar courses.

seems a good idea to stick to pubic courses in the center of the state, in and around columbia is my best suggestion.

6 Likes

is there a thread for the Show Me Showdown? I defiantly either wasn’t aware of it last year being so new to the Nest or missed it completely. Think with the new traction we could easily get 4-8 to travel to Columbia for an event.

1 Like

I think it was in here.

Hey buddy, how’s our friend Bill Murray doing?

2 Likes

Well im sure that some already knew about this, but this is certainly creative and different.

There once was a time that I really enjoyed DC. Maybe b/c it used to be well taken care of, maybe b/c it was so tight in spots it made you feel like if you were scoring well there you were doing something special, maybe it was b/c with my job i had unlimited free passes to play :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

Does anyone have any recommendations for beginner golf lessons in the KC area? My fiancée wants to start playing, which is an excellent development from my point of view. I just need to get her the basics so she will want to keep playing…

Coach G @ OP Golf is good. Runs the junior program there and has connections to several HS programs…

I’d recommend Maureen Olson (Coach Mo) as well, when she was at OPG, but she just moved to Oakwood, a private facility. But if you check her bona fides and like what you see, I’d reach out and see if she can take on private lessons as well as her members…

My coach is Josh Nahm, he teaches out of The National in Parkville. Excellent coach — I’m biased, he’s overhauled my game — and is a thoroughly successful junior and private collegiate coach as well. His wife is a coach on the KU women’s team…

Finally, my full recommend, despite all the above, is to investigate the Driving Pursuits KC group (on Instagram) Coach G and Coach Mo do workshops and clinics with them. They’re a group of professional women that seeks to encourage women in the game and supports neophytes with group clinics.

It’s pretty great because as the NLU Ladies thread will show you, for women to truly feel welcomed and assimilated into golf, it’s thought that a group peer setting where fun and failure is celebrated with no judgement but full encouragement has found to be the best atmosphere for most adult women first getting into the game…

Just my $0.17…

2 Likes

Josh Nahm is the best IMO as well. I try to visit him a few times a year to get things tightened back up. His price reflects as much and the hourly rate for new clients went up this year. I wouldn’t start with Josh for the fiancé.

3 Likes

Thanks for that in depth response. I am going to get her connected with Driving Pursuits and see if I can get her started with Coach G.

I was selfishly looking into him for myself but it looks like he is all booked up except for a few days in March.

Chucking a Hail Mary here, but would anyone be interested in a couple of GA Pit tickets to see Kacey Musgraves tomorrow night at T-Mobile? My sister bought tickets a long time ago and is looking to unload them. She’s willing to part with them for less than she paid just to get rid of them. DM me if interested.

saturday is supposed to be gorgeous, mid 50s and sunny in the afternoon.

anyone game for a game? who’s playing this weekend?

Mules Natl. is $15 walking anytime.
Sunflower at 1145 is $45
WinterStone is $40/35 and pretty open

If there’s a ground swell, we should book it ASAP

My son and I are going to drive down tonight from the Twin Cities to play on Saturday and Sunday. Haven’t booked anything yet. Thinking about maybe playing Shoal? Where is the ideal lodging area?

What kind of vibe are you looking for? Are you trying to be close to the courses or close to a bar scene?

1 Like

You should know Mules is in Warrensburg, about an hour’s drive east and south of downtown. Shoal is exceptional for the public golf scene but is up north from downtown a good 10-15 minute drive.

2 Likes

My son is 14 so not a bar scene, but maybe a decent area to walk around and explore. It’s a short trip and we’re playing 2 rounds so I guess extra curriculars aren’t super important.

1 Like

The Plaza is always a good bet especially if you want to walk around. It is south of downtown so a little bit further from Shoal, but not bad. There are lots of restaurants, which would be walking distance from any hotel.

2 Likes