Roll Call: KC Area

Unless it’s 100°, I do the same thing in the rare instance I play somewhere with sock rules.

Can we see the rest of your list?

1. KCCC

They’re all international so definitely not frequent stops
2. Royal Melbourne
3. Victoria GC
4. Elie GC
It was cool enough at Elie that pants were fine. It was a little toasty for the two rounds in Australia, however.

3 Likes

I’m also free tomorrow. Schedule just opened up.

Anyone free on Tuesday afternoon - 530? My buddy, who I got hooked on golf during covid, is hurt and can’t play in our two man league at Minor Park. It’s a lot of fun, not too serious, and only 16 bucks to walk. It is handicapped and helps scratch my competitive itch.

Thought I would share this here. Early workings of a meet up in Des Moines next year focused on the original strapped season courses and the Iowa State Fair.

Return to the Birthplace of Strapped

4 Likes

Does anyone have a recommendation for a coach that can help me with my putting? I’ve never had a lesson of any kind and am sick of my putting ruining every round. I live in Waldo but would be willing to go just about anywhere.

Most coach recos have been funneled toward Josh Nahm. He’s mine, and can help with yer entire game.

Was a tough day out at KCCC. Their course is in fantastic shape. My game was not. I think I was in at least 6 green side bunkers. I would be interested to see a course map overlayed with an original. I bet the greens have shrunk some, theres a few teeny ones. They need a little limb management but not a full out tree management situation.
That piece of land is phenomenal though.

First tee is pretty picturesque

3 Likes

Are the greens as good as LCC? Still the best greens I’ve played on was my round with you at LCC.

1 Like

Oh those greens are at least 20-30% shrunk. Corridors too. A renovation there would be phenomenal.

1 Like

Greens rolled pretty pure. Slower than LcC greens, and more subtle undulations. I over read quite a few putts and left a fair share short. Some woefully so.

1 Like

Unlike Topeka Country Club I didn’t think most of the corridors were overly narrow. A few shots didn’t necessarily suit my eye, but it wasn’t really for lack of width.

15 is all I can recall that was overly narrow, but that was 3-4 years ago when they hosted the Am. Maybe the first par five, few limbs blocking tee line.

Love 2, a Short every course should have. 3 and 16 are grown man golf holes.

2 Likes

15 left a sour taste in my mouth because I didnt know there was that shit short left of the green so I punched out right into it. 13 wasn’t exactly ‘narrow’ but there’s no where to miss if you miss the fairway. It was uncomfortable to my eye.

Agree that the short is fantastic. 3 of the other par 3s all played such a similar length that it was 4i to them, which kinda stinks.

For such an undulating piece of land, it was weird that most of the uneven lies (at least that I encountered) were downhill/uphill. Don’t remember any real side hill ball above/below the feet.

I had never thought of that, but that is a good observation. Most of the holes with slope are uphill/downhill lies (9, 17, 18 come to mind). I remember a few hanging lies below my feet, specifically #1 FW that I’ll never forget; I lost a wedge barely right off that lie in extra holes to lose to one of the top seeds, Andy Spencer. I think 11 might be a little hanging too?

2 is an all world par 3. I haven’t played the course since they rebuild 5 but I’ve heard it’s better. running through the course again in my head yeah it isn’t overgrown narrow, but I think what sticks in my mind is 7,8,3 that are next to each other. Hell, I know a handful of members who consistently told me that playing hole 8 up number 3 is the preferred route.

Lol, I did this purely by luck I guess. I had to punch out from the trees right and determined my best chance to advance it and leave a good angle was to play it to the edge of 3 FW.

It was kind of uncomfortable standing on 3 tee and having balls chasing in to the green(side bunker).

I played Swope after hearing a bunch of people give it a lot of credit on here and saw the meet up was set up there. I don’t see how it’s a better course then most of the courses around it and over half of the other municipal courses in the area. Maybe it’s how much I hate blind tee shots but who knows. I want to give it another shot though, so can someone tell me what they appreciate about the course so I can be on the look out for those things?

2 Likes

Anyone know of any public fall leagues in play? I’ve asked at Swope (only because of proximity) and they currently don’t have plans to do one. Would love to join a league, but summer is tough with all the travel and kids obligations.

2 Likes