Roll Call: KC Area

I may sign up for this. I don’t think they’ll push it all the way back at least until Sunday. But 630 yds into the wind that takes driver out of your hand? That’s just dumb.

How do you play this hole?

Well from the white tees it’s a Driver, 3 wood and wedge, most the time.

All our club events are from the whites and the group I play in play the Green/white combos and 9 is a white tee,

We play the mem/gst from the very back tee 663. Driver 3 wood and 6 or 7 if there is no wind.

1 Like

Finally remembered to go into the clubhouse at Oakwood and check out the master plan. I’d heard rumors of the short and putting courses, but it was awesome to see it on paper!

If you don’t know the course, the renderings won’t mean much. I’m no architecture buff by any means, but I’d say a good 50+ trees have been removed over the past month or so and the big changes to the course are really exciting.

The new practice facilities should be about finished by the fall…just in time to take advantage of the 10 heated bays.

Best part about all of this is the excitement amongst the membership. After literally 30+ years of no improvements/renovations, people are so happy to see things happening.

7 Likes

Kinda interesting Ron Whitten is involved.

I wonder how he’d rank his own design? Or is this like a RTJ/Nicklaus/etc project where the named partner isn’t actually involved?

I need to ask our pro how much he’s stayed involved in everything. I was out on the range back in November, and there was a group of about 8 guys including Ron walking the the whole property. He may have just been helping at the beginning.

Can’t wait till it’s done. It was always a hidden gem and now it looks like it might be one of the best facility in town.

1 Like

Hey guys. I’ll be in downtown KC for a week starting this Sunday afternoon. I want to play Sunday afternoon/evening and try to do a twilight round or two before heading home Friday. I don’t need anything architecturally significant, just a decent track that’s accessible.

Thanks.

DM incoming.

2 Likes

let me know I’d be down for a twilight round mid week.

1 Like

I’m potentially around as well

1 Like

Swope!

3 Likes

Set up a foursome for Sunday at swope at 2:51. It’s me and our visiting friend @Gary. Two slots open if anyone wants to join.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing the Master Plan. Having played there a few times, it is interesting to see what they’re changing.

• I always wondered what that land was on the SW corner, opening that up for two brand new holes makes the rest of the changes possible.
  • #2 becoming the practice facility is a little sad, I always thought it was one of their stronger holes.
  • Second-shot on 17 was always fun. Looks like they’ll fill in the pond and move the green way back, that’s unfortunate. Did they remove the trees on the L side of that tee shot? If not, that will remain bad.
  • I liked the creek where it was on 4 (now 2). I don’t think you’ll see many guys taking on that shot now. They should have just moved the green closer to the bank.
  • That’s A LOT of earth work. By my count: 3 brand new holes, 7 brand new greens, and a sh*t ton of tree removal to make 4-5, 14-15 tee.
  • That practice facility looks awesome!
1 Like

I would but it’s the first (maybe only) KC Cup match of the year Sunday. Pretty excited to get the competitive juices flowing again. I alllllmost had the pleasure of being Ames’d by Nurski (+6.1 currently - whoa) but got off lucky and am playing the senior/scratch 4 ball.

1 Like

I’ll have to let you know I will be at a wedding in Lincoln all weekend so I may have to wait for a midweek twilight round

Yes, it’s a ton of work and it’s amazing how quickly they’ve made some of these changes. Tree removal to make the new 4-5 has already begun and it’s awesome to see that area opened up.

The original plan was to buy land to the west of #2 but it’s a pretty popular bike trail and they got into a little tiff with the bikers and council members. Everyone I talked to actually thinks the updated plan is better, but #2 was definitely one of the stronger holes out there.

The new green on #4 will be interesting. Our superintendent told me it’ll be difficult to move it behind the creek. I think there’s some drainage issues they’ll have to address.

#17 is one of my favorite holes, so I’m a bit bummed to see the changes there. Not sure about the tree removal on the left. I think the ownership group has pushed back some on the amount of trees being removed unfortunately, so we’ll have to see if those go. I know the owners were also looking to add length where they could, and I guess it makes sense to now that they’ll have some more room where the old practice facility used to be.

Soooo excited for the new practice facility! The current one is just not good at all.

1 Like

I was gonna play at Falcon Ridge that afternoon, but will happily pivot to Swope. I’ll take a spot if there’s still one available.

1 Like

Yep you got it. One more spot still avail.

1 Like

Hello all, going to be in KC 7/31-8/4 and looking to play. I’m a 5.0 index and happy to play with any skill level, mostly looking for a Saturday and Sunday round so is looking to play let me know!

I’m outta town that weekend but plenty of others might be able to play a round with you!