Roll Call: Iowa

Stopping in to give Fyre Lake some props.

Played there on June 4th for his Frolics event.

Course is in the best condition I’ve ever seen it. Ever. Good on Mark and the Super. They’ve thinned out the fescue so an errant drive is no longer an auto-lost ball. The bunkers have more “sand” than they ever have, albeit the quality of the sand is pretty abysmal (don’t hit it there). The greens are rolling as pure as Oakwood’s currently. Just fantastic. They seem to be controlling the speeds as well. There’s no way to run those greens much past a 9 as you wouldn’t be able to hold a ball anywhere due to all the undulation.

Really happy to see the course reaching what appears to be its pinnacle and what it was always meant to be.

Now if we could get a proper clubhouse with a grill…that’d be something.

9 Likes

Will continue to echo all the Fyre Lake love. Played 36 there Saturday (longer post with pictures in Where did you play today thread) and it was as good as I’ve ever seen it as well. Fairways wet in the morning then firm in the afternoon, greens about as perfect as they can be, fescue the exact length to be penal but allow for hero recovery shots. Grill was pumping out some really good burgers/brats/dogs at the turn. Drinks were nice and stiff.

Brought a few friends who don’t play a ton of golf outside their areas and they all said it jumped to the top of their favorite lists. Feels nice to get confirmation that I’m not crazy sometimes lol.

Mark’s always been ambitious but he did tell me when he first took over that the goal was to get the course sorted and then focus on a real clubhouse with cottages/rooms for people to stay onsite. Still seems a little far fetched but also can’t say I expected the course to be turned around this quickly

5 Likes

all beef hot dogs with a Pretzel Bun are undefeated.

This would be incredible however, he’d need to rely on out of towners as the QCA isn’t likely to support on their own with Stay and Plays.

I’m at the point now where if I have a Refuge Sicko in from out of town, Fyre Lake is a can’t miss.

5 Likes

Wow that is impressive. The one time i played there i also got some love from that tree. Although… it was like my 3rd shot - and while it dropped it close to the green, it was nowhere near the hole.

1 Like

I have never even considered going for that green off the tee. Either that guy was a stick or didn’t give a fuck.

1 Like

I played there with a random guy that tried to tell me it wasn’t that far of a carry to get over the pond, but then he tried and landed right in the middle of the water. I have never tired to go for it either, but during the Waterloo Open I think pretty much everyone goes for the green.

2 Likes

I stayed in the quad cities for a weekend last year and played 36 at Fyre then 36 at Deere run and it made for a fun little golf trip. Both courses are really fun imo

4 Likes

Got an extra spot open at Amana Saturday @ 8:40. Hit me up if anyone wants to join.

2 Likes

But does the clubhouse close at 5 PM on a Friday? Shoutout to Stone Creek.

How excited is country music aficionado @Sweet_Cupn_Cake for this big announcement?!?

3 Likes

giphy

2 Likes

I hope we get paired together at the Butter Cow because I am going to blare “Wagon Wheel” on repeat for 4 hours.

7 Likes

I think that and a Tanimal get up could really break him.

2 Likes

I have access to tickets for these shows but even then I’m not even sure I’ll go

1 Like

Great Plains Golf Club Roost Club Championship event post is now live over in the roost threads…

COME JOIN US!

https://refuge.nolayingup.com/t/gpgc-roost-championship-mozingo-lake-golf-course-maryville-mo-sunday-july2-2023/94077?u=scagnetti

Preferably the old crow medicine version to save everyone’s sanity

Still got a 4th spot available, get to play with me and @RunItOut ! You would get to see some sweet ass blades too!

1 Like

Weird flex. So….the JDC announces they are having major musical acts perform on the course after the tournament and the reaction here is you guys are too cool?? Makes sense why people have to find randoms on here to fill your foursomes lol. Lighten up guys it’s music not your identity.
Side note-TPC is perfect right now. If you get the chance to get up there do it, if you need a discount hit me up.

4 Likes

Discount you say? Been meaning to take my mom out there to play it but afraid the summer will get away from me.

3 Likes

Wish I knew about this discount last weekend :sweat_smile:. Next time!

1 Like