Roll Call: Iowa

I really need to make my first trip to Spirit Hollow this year

1 Like

A group of us used to make a golf trip to Galena every year but haven’t done it for the last couple

Checking in here. In Illinois but close to the border. Would be up for playing in Burlington or Quad Cities.

You ever play Fyre Lake? That place can hand out a beating!

2 Likes

How close to the border? I grew up near Rockford and would HIGHLY recommend Prairie View in Byron. One of the best reasonably priced (under $50 for 18) courses I’ve played on in my life.

Should add, would anyone be interested in an unofficial Refuge Outing in Iowa this summer?

2 Likes

I’m all in on this idea. I think it’s a fairly small group of Iowans on here, but would be a blast to meet more of you.

1 Like

Agreed. It doesn’t have to be anything big, but even just playing a round and sharing a couple beverages afterwards would be a good way to connect outside of The Refuge.

1 Like

Haven’t made the trip yet, but looks like a really good track.

Galesburg, which is halfway between the quad cities and Peoria.

1 Like

It’s only $30 I believe and it’s a killer Nicklaus course

2 Likes

I know Galesburg! My sister used to play ball down there, and we’d hit up the Iron Spike post game. Byron might be a bit of a hike for a round of golf though.

1 Like

Would definitely meet up somewhere this summer. Iowa city or Cedar Rapids would be easy for most people I’d think?

If we did the Cedar Rapids area I may be able to get some sort of discount or deal at Hunters Ridge on the north east side of Cedar Rapids in Marion. Grew up on the course and worked there through high school and college. Still know the head Pro pretty well.

Just a thought, no guarantees

1 Like

Saddleback in Solon is a solid track and have been easy to work with in the past getting a larger group out. Plenty of options in the corridor/ Quad City area as well.

2 Likes

QC gui.

Lots of good stuff around here, munis included.

Fyre Lake is a fun track but it will kick you in the teeth, and eat all your golf balls. Pretty much fairway → gorse. It’s a “Nicklaus Design” so the greens are incredibly undulating which is fun but there’s no short grass around them. And they’ve had a helluva time keeping the place open. I think they’re on their 3rd or 4th owners. You just hate to see it. Incredible property, loads of potential.

I’ll look into trying to get a couple groups of us on at my club - Pinnacle CC in Milan, IL. Tight but challenging course, interesting property, super low-key in a rural area. They host the Monday Q for the 5th Major out there too.

2 Likes

yo, Iowans…what date is a safe cutoff to play a dash/grab for a frozen Minnesotan? I am jonesing to play, but don’t want to blow cash on flights/rentals cars. Hoping to drive down and play.

I would be surprised if we are able to get any golf in before March. At least In the Des Moines area anyway. Had a good amount of snow melt over the weekend but still a lot left with temps dropping back to normal.

2 Likes

I currently live in Chicago, but former QC/DSM gui, would be interested in a meetup somewhere in Iowa this summer

3 Likes

damn…maybe a flight WILL have get booked